Half Life 2. Memory error

Last response: in Video Games
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 7:40:39 PM

I have installed Half life 2 on a PC I have recently reformatted and loaded
Windows XP SP2.

However the game reports an error during start-up.

Half-Life 2:HL2.EXE-Application error.
The instruction at "0x012a3490" referenced memory at "0x012a3490". The
memory could not be "read"

It did work before on the same PC Windows set-up.

I have downloaded the lates Graphics, Sound and Direct Xdrivers.
I have used diagnostic software and established there is not a fault with
the memory itself.
I have also played with refresh and acceleration.

Windows XP
Athlon 3000 64bit
Geforce 4 Ti 4600
SB Live soundcard
512 MB DDR memory

If anybody has encountered this problem and resolved it I would be grateful
for any advice.

Thankyou,
Malcolm Cane

More about : half life memory error

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 7:40:40 PM

> However the game reports an error during start-up.

> Half-Life 2:HL2.EXE-Application error.
> The instruction at "0x012a3490" referenced memory
> at "0x012a3490". The memory could not be "read"

Add this to "launch options"

+mat_forcehardwaresync 0

HTH
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 26, 2005 8:12:45 PM

On 3/26/2005 8:40 AM Malcolm Cane brightened our day with:

>I have installed Half life 2 on a PC I have recently reformatted and loaded
>Windows XP SP2.
>
>However the game reports an error during start-up.
>
>Half-Life 2:HL2.EXE-Application error.
>The instruction at "0x012a3490" referenced memory at "0x012a3490". The
>memory could not be "read"
>
>It did work before on the same PC Windows set-up.
>
>I have downloaded the lates Graphics, Sound and Direct Xdrivers.
>I have used diagnostic software and established there is not a fault with
>the memory itself.
>I have also played with refresh and acceleration.
>
>Windows XP
>Athlon 3000 64bit
>Geforce 4 Ti 4600
>SB Live soundcard
>512 MB DDR memory
>
>If anybody has encountered this problem and resolved it I would be grateful
>for any advice.
>
>Thankyou,
>Malcolm Cane

What kind of memory do you have? What's the configuration on the 512
Mb, is it two 256 Mb sticks or 1 512? Is your memory overclocked or
have you lowered the timings on it? Is it DDR400 to go along with your
Athlon64?
Badly matched RAM or using RAM not recommended for your motherboard has
been noted as a cause. What type of motherboard have you got, this
seems to happen a lot with nForce boards, something to do with the way
AGP makes use of system memory.
I had this happen to me and while being unique to the Source Engine
games (meaning these memory errors didn't happen in any of the other
"cutting edge" games I'd been playing or when running memtest86), it was
alleviated by backing off on the memory bus speed (down from 185 to 175)
and relaxing the timings on the RAM a bit too.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

oh guys i have the same problem...

> The instruction at "0x012a3490" referenced memory
> at "0x012a3490". The memory could not be "read"

im using,
System:Windows XP sp3
CPU: 2,000 GHz Core 2 duo
RAM: 1GB
VGA: 256MB NVIDIA Gforce

wats problem with that.. anybody has any solution plz...
thnx
!