Star Trek Online Going Free-to-Play in January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]So, are the lifetime subscribers just screwed out of the cash they spent or what?[/citation]
I would think no as most Free-to-Play games have subscriptions that allows for many things in game. Possible only subscribers can use mail or access all raid areas.

psp09

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]I would think no as most Free-to-Play games have subscriptions that allows for many things in game. Possible only subscribers can use mail or access all raid areas.[/citation]

Or they will get points for buy stuff that the normal players cannot be bought too easily.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]So, are the lifetime subscribers just screwed out of the cash they spent or what?[/citation]

If the lifetime subscribers get some sort of monthly bonus like many other F2P games do if the player still chooses to pay a monthly fee than I suppose this would actually benefit them more than before as they will get pay content they desire for free.

It's a shame the game is garbage. The ship battles are alright and can be quite fun but the land missions are dreadful and has game-play that will make not only bore you but make you wonder how the developers thought it was a good idea. (Which is odd because space was the new thing for Cryptic not land!)

I beta tested it and found it so bad that I gave my beta account away to a friend and she came to the same conclusion. Before the F2P announcement I was looking into the game again to see maybe if they improved and was completely turned off when they had a real money store in a pay to play game. No wonder why their subscriber base plummeted to forcing them to go F2P. What greedy A-holes!

landerx74

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have been playing the game since the very beginning and I can say it is amazing! With the changes that will go live when Free 2 Play hits the game will be just plain awesome!

Efrayim

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]If the lifetime subscribers get some sort of monthly bonus like many other F2P games do if the player still chooses to pay a monthly fee than I suppose this would actually benefit them more than before as they will get pay content they desire for free. It's a shame the game is garbage. The ship battles are alright and can be quite fun but the land missions are dreadful and has game-play that will make not only bore you but make you wonder how the developers thought it was a good idea. (Which is odd because space was the new thing for Cryptic not land!) I beta tested it and found it so bad that I gave my beta account away to a friend and she came to the same conclusion. Before the F2P announcement I was looking into the game again to see maybe if they improved and was completely turned off when they had a real money store in a pay to play game. No wonder why their subscriber base plummeted to forcing them to go F2P. What greedy A-holes![/citation]

I agree with you that the game needed a lot of working in the beginning, but since season 4 (expansion) the ground battles have gotten a lot better IMO. About the in game store, Cryptic lets earn anything that is for sold in the Cryptic store in game through various ways. The good thing about this STO is that cryptic actually listen to its fan base and makes changes accordingly. Love it hate the fact is that is a very different now.

DEVILVSANGEL00

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I recently brought this game and played it for 2 months and was happy with the space battles but the rest of the game is a big big let down, theres never ending bugs some of which have been there since the game was released over a year or 2 ago and some bugs they wont admit theres a bug to fix hence why its been there so long without being seen to,

the missions are pretty much the same thing over and over again just with different story as to why, the ground combat system is very poor, the difficulty settings dont really change much when it comes to damage and enemy ai difficulty, just u receive more severe injurys or damage to your ship when you die, the cryptic store chage you real money to unlock different uniform types, and bridges, oh what i found most discraceful was that the original enterprise bridge was like x9 more expensive then the rest of the bridges available, that shows that the cryptic studios was milking the original series die hard fans,
the last straw for me was a bug that stoped you from reaching the highest rank of admiral but i beleive its been fixed now, still too little to late and ive ditched this game for good,

unfortunley this is the worst star trek game ive ever played and its pretty much a discrace to the star trek universe and what it represents, the way i see it, its just a very very poor game except the space combat and the star trek universe is being milked by the developers in every way possible,

only a very very dedicated star trek fan willing to put up with non stop bugs and bad bad gameplay would carry on playing for more then 2 months,

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

Well, actually nothing changes for lifetime subscribers. This is copied from their FAQ..

Q: I'm currently a regular or Lifetime subscriber to Star Trek Online. Where do I fit in?Top

A: Regular subscribers become Gold Members automatically. Subscribers are charged a regular fee based on one of the several subscription options they have chosen. Lifetime subscribers, also Gold Members, are those players who have opted to pay a single one-time fee for Gold Membership.

If you stop subscribing, you become a Silver Player. If you have characters that use Gold features, you will be unable to play them as a Silver Player until they are converted.

Lifetime subscribers also become Gold Members automatically and will not be charged a continuing subscription fee. Basically, nothing changes for Lifetime subscribers: They continue to have complete access to the same content, items and episodes the way they always have.

G

I really hope they examine the League of Legends business model. It's the BEST one out there hands down.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
"Free-to-play" is a gross misapproximation. You can get into the game, but you have no hope of completing it without paid upgrades. Who wouldn't rather just play a disc-based game and get upgrades based on achievements and not pay anything else beyond the game cover price? "Free-to-play" is a cash cow for game publishers.

I blame Apple and Facebook for starting this trend, and Microsoft for charging for online play. And the COD games for charging for map packs. I want a new Unreal Tournament game to set things straight again.

G

I love all these life timers complaining that they spent a little over 300 for the sub. But when you think about it the game has been out for at least 2 years. That would be 360 bucks had they paid the 15 a month. So no money lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS