I am having trouble using the S-video output on my Dell
Inspiron 4100. When I connect the S-video output to a TV,
using the S-video to RCA adapter provided by Dell, and
enable TV output in the video driver, the picture displays
on the TV just fine, except when I go to play a video.
Regardless of what video player I use, or which codec the
movie is in, the section of the window that shows the
video appears just fine on the laptop monitor, but stays
black on the TV screen as the movie plays. (The sound has
no problems.) However, if I play a music file and have
Media Player show the "visualization", it shows with no
problem on the TV screen as well as the laptop LCD. Does
anyone know how to fix this problem or what is causing it?

Relevant info -
System: Dell Inspiron 4100
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon M6, latest driver from Dell
Resolution: 1024x768 or 800x600, 60Hz, 32-bit color
Television: generic 4:3 CRT TV
Players used: Windows Media Player 9, RealOne Player, DivX
Player 5.1.1
Codecs used: DivX AVI, MS Video 1 AVI, WMV

Thanks for any help you can provide! If you have any
questions, post them and I'll be sure to reply.

Andy

Rather than use the TV as a 'second monitor' does it display correctly on
the TV if you switch them around... ie make the TV the primary display or
switch display entirely from monitor to TV?
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Andy B" <greatfun0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble using the S-video output on my Dell
> Inspiron 4100. When I connect the S-video output to a TV,
> using the S-video to RCA adapter provided by Dell, and
> enable TV output in the video driver, the picture displays
> on the TV just fine, except when I go to play a video.
> Regardless of what video player I use, or which codec the
> movie is in, the section of the window that shows the
> video appears just fine on the laptop monitor, but stays
> black on the TV screen as the movie plays. (The sound has
> no problems.) However, if I play a music file and have
> Media Player show the "visualization", it shows with no
> problem on the TV screen as well as the laptop LCD. Does
> anyone know how to fix this problem or what is causing it?
>
> Relevant info -
> System: Dell Inspiron 4100
> Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon M6, latest driver from Dell
> Resolution: 1024x768 or 800x600, 60Hz, 32-bit color
> Television: generic 4:3 CRT TV
> Players used: Windows Media Player 9, RealOne Player, DivX
> Player 5.1.1
> Codecs used: DivX AVI, MS Video 1 AVI, WMV
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide! If you have any
> questions, post them and I'll be sure to reply.
>
> Andy

I haven't actually tried that, but it's a good idea, Cari.
I will test that out this evening when I get home, and
I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!

Andy

Sometimes you just have to 'force' the issue and be very firm with the PC!
--

>I haven't actually tried that, but it's a good idea, Cari.
> I will test that out this evening when I get home, and
> I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!
>
> Andy

Well, forceful or not, that little idea worked! Thanks for
the help.

Andy

Telling it who's really in charge sometimes has the desired effect!

You're welcome.