Pentax Optio MX at Costco ($399)

Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
MPEG videos stored on SD card.

Does anyone have any experience with this camera?

Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
on the internet?
9 answers Last reply
More about pentax optio costco
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Good questions, I seen it at Costco also, looks nice and small but would
    think it's more a gadget than a practical camera for video anyway, large SD
    cards cost much more than tapes and if you need to constantly transfer, it's
    sounds interesting though, would like some opinions on it.

    I was leaning towards the new Sony DSC-100 or other 5.1 mp camera which does
    video also on memory stick.
    Although I would have preferred an SD card over sony stick for pricing
    purposes.

    AnthonyR.

    <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    >
    > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > on the internet?

  2. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    >
    > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > on the internet?

    Why do you concern about the video quality from those digicam? They are just
    gadgets which have no practical use. Get yourself a DV camcorder instead for
    real video shooting. Only DV tapes have enough storage for quality videos.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    leo wrote:
    > <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    >> This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    >> MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    >>
    >> Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    >> on the internet?
    >

    > Why do you concern about the video quality from those digicam? They
    > are just gadgets which have no practical use. Get yourself a DV
    > camcorder instead for real video shooting. Only DV tapes have enough
    > storage for quality videos.

    I agree: if you want useful digital video in the terms usually
    associated with Digital Video, there is no substitute for a Digital
    Video Camera; I will take exception to the "no practical use" assertion.
    I personally have recorded half a dozen historical events, otherwise
    lost to posterity, by use of a Digital Still Camera's video capabilities
    in circumstances prohibiting the use of Digital Video Cameras. That is
    unequivocally a practical use.

    --
    Frank ess

    Forecasting is difficult. Particularly about the Future.
    —Deepak Gupta
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    > >
    > > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > > on the internet?
    >

    > Why do you concern about the video quality from those digicam? They are
    just
    > gadgets which have no practical use. Get yourself a DV camcorder instead
    for
    > real video shooting. Only DV tapes have enough storage for quality videos.

    Leo,
    I currently have a digital camera that only does video at 320 x160, and when
    I didn't bother to plan a video
    for a simple gathering, tiny little video clips of people just saying hello,
    are so cool to have rather than just stills on a camera.
    Remember early film movie cameras? They only held 3 minutes of film, and
    people took less wasted shots, yet some family vacation films were still
    boring, lol.
    Maybe less is more, anyway, having the power to do 640x480 at 30 fps on a
    still camera on sd memory can come in handy when there is no video event,
    and you are just taking pictures and then decide to capture 10 seconds of a
    person saying hello etc. after many years, those 10 seconds are just as
    priceless as the snapshot, and there would have been no video at all without
    that power because let's face it, most people don't carry a dv camera
    everywhere.
    Although getting them smaller, integrating them with digital cameras, and
    making storage digital so your forced to constantly upload to another medium
    like computer hard drive and dvd, will help more people start to take videos
    just about anywhere at anytime. You must have vision beyond what is
    available or practical today, the future always is different than what we
    think it should be.
    AnthonyR.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I decided to go with the new sony w-1 digital camera and it does video at
    640x480 at 30fps on memory stick pro, which is a faster version of the
    memory stick. It was about the same price online as the Pentax Optio,
    doesn't have 10x optical zoom but has 12x total zoom with optical and
    digital together, and takes better stills at 5.1 megs, plus it looks like a
    digital camera so people won't expect to be on video, which is always fun.
    The other one looks like a movie camera and expectations will be too high
    for its capabilities.

    Again, this is not for a video event, I do have a DV camera for that. It's
    for simple family gatherings when taking pictures and a small video clip is
    a welcome surprise to capture voice and sound as well as a persons
    mannerisms, that can all be done
    great on a 15 second clip, no dv camera really needed just for that.

    AnthonyR

    <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    >
    > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > on the internet?

  6. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message

    > "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > > <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > > > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > > > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    > > >
    > > > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > > > on the internet?
    > >

    > > Why do you concern about the video quality from those digicam? They are
    > just
    > > gadgets which have no practical use. Get yourself a DV camcorder instead
    > for
    > > real video shooting. Only DV tapes have enough storage for quality
    videos.

    > Leo,
    > I currently have a digital camera that only does video at 320 x160, and
    when
    > I didn't bother to plan a video
    > for a simple gathering, tiny little video clips of people just saying
    hello,
    > are so cool to have rather than just stills on a camera.
    > Remember early film movie cameras? They only held 3 minutes of film, and
    > people took less wasted shots, yet some family vacation films were still
    > boring, lol.
    > Maybe less is more, anyway, having the power to do 640x480 at 30 fps on a
    > still camera on sd memory can come in handy when there is no video event,
    > and you are just taking pictures and then decide to capture 10 seconds of
    > person saying hello etc. after many years, those 10 seconds are just as
    > priceless as the snapshot, and there would have been no video at all
    without
    > that power because let's face it, most people don't carry a dv camera
    > everywhere.
    > Although getting them smaller, integrating them with digital cameras, and
    > making storage digital so your forced to constantly upload to another
    medium
    > like computer hard drive and dvd, will help more people start to take
    videos
    > just about anywhere at anytime. You must have vision beyond what is
    > available or practical today, the future always is different than what we
    > think it should be.
    > AnthonyR.

    Well, I have had several digital cameras with video features but I never
    used it beyond the first try out. I do have a DV camcorder when I am
    interested in taking videos. I have a wide screen HDTV and before I can
    afford an HDTV camcorder, I am thinking of getting Canon's standard
    definition wide screen camcorder. ;-)

    I guess some people are satisfied with the throw back short 8mm film
    experience.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:40:24 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message

    >> > Why do you concern about the video quality from those digicam? They are
    >> just
    >> > gadgets which have no practical use. Get yourself a DV camcorder instead
    >> for
    >> > real video shooting. Only DV tapes have enough storage for quality
    >videos.
    >> >

    >> Leo,
    >> I currently have a digital camera that only does video at 320 x160, and
    >when
    >> I didn't bother to plan a video
    >> for a simple gathering, tiny little video clips of people just saying
    >hello,
    >> are so cool to have rather than just stills on a camera.
    >> Remember early film movie cameras? They only held 3 minutes of film, and
    >> people took less wasted shots, yet some family vacation films were still
    >> boring, lol.
    >> Maybe less is more, anyway, having the power to do 640x480 at 30 fps on a
    >> still camera on sd memory can come in handy when there is no video event,
    >> and you are just taking pictures and then decide to capture 10 seconds of
    >> person saying hello etc. after many years, those 10 seconds are just as
    >> priceless as the snapshot, and there would have been no video at all
    >without
    >> that power because let's face it, most people don't carry a dv camera
    >> everywhere.
    >> Although getting them smaller, integrating them with digital cameras, and
    >> making storage digital so your forced to constantly upload to another
    >medium
    >> like computer hard drive and dvd, will help more people start to take
    >videos
    >> just about anywhere at anytime. You must have vision beyond what is
    >> available or practical today, the future always is different than what we
    >> think it should be.
    >> AnthonyR.
    >

    >Well, I have had several digital cameras with video features but I never
    >used it beyond the first try out. I do have a DV camcorder when I am
    >interested in taking videos. I have a wide screen HDTV and before I can
    >afford an HDTV camcorder, I am thinking of getting Canon's standard
    >definition wide screen camcorder. ;-)
    >
    >I guess some people are satisfied with the throw back short 8mm film
    >experience.

    So they are coming out with hdtv 'ready' video cameras?

    Pj
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:40:24 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

    > >> just
    > >> for
    > >videos.
    > >> >

    > >> Leo,
    > >> I currently have a digital camera that only does video at 320 x160, and
    > >when
    > >> I didn't bother to plan a video
    > >> for a simple gathering, tiny little video clips of people just saying
    > >hello,
    > >> are so cool to have rather than just stills on a camera.
    > >> Remember early film movie cameras? They only held 3 minutes of film,
    and
    > >> people took less wasted shots, yet some family vacation films were
    still
    > >> boring, lol.
    > >> Maybe less is more, anyway, having the power to do 640x480 at 30 fps on
    > >> still camera on sd memory can come in handy when there is no video
    event,
    > >> and you are just taking pictures and then decide to capture 10 seconds
    of
    > >> person saying hello etc. after many years, those 10 seconds are just as
    > >> priceless as the snapshot, and there would have been no video at all
    > >without
    > >> that power because let's face it, most people don't carry a dv camera
    > >> everywhere.
    > >> Although getting them smaller, integrating them with digital cameras,
    and
    > >> making storage digital so your forced to constantly upload to another
    > >medium
    > >> like computer hard drive and dvd, will help more people start to take
    > >videos
    > >> just about anywhere at anytime. You must have vision beyond what is
    > >> available or practical today, the future always is different than what
    we
    > >> think it should be.
    > >> AnthonyR.
    > >

    > >Well, I have had several digital cameras with video features but I never
    > >used it beyond the first try out. I do have a DV camcorder when I am
    > >interested in taking videos. I have a wide screen HDTV and before I can
    > >afford an HDTV camcorder, I am thinking of getting Canon's standard
    > >definition wide screen camcorder. ;-)
    > >
    > >I guess some people are satisfied with the throw back short 8mm film
    > >experience.
    > >

    > So they are coming out with hdtv 'ready' video cameras?
    >
    > Pj

    There IS already a HD camcorder, 1CCD (720p) from JVC. Sony will have a 3CCD
    HD camcorder. They are expensive, of course. I am talking about Canon's
    widescreen camcorder, already in the market. Not HD but the sensor is wide
    screen format, instead of merely letterboxed in other low end camcorders.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video,rec.video.desktop,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I agree with Anthony. In addition to my three Sony D8s, I recently
    bought
    the Canon S1 IS. It has great video capabilities at 640x480 at 30fps.
    Works well for family gatherings where people (little ones, the
    grandchildren) don't suspect that they are being "taped". The camera
    has a wireless remote
    controller that allows me to record without anyone knowing. Of course
    you have to "mute" all sounds, disable the tally light and so on. The
    length of the movie
    is not limited to 30 seconds. You can get as much as 9 minutes on a
    1Gb
    CF card. The cards are expensive ($170) at the moment, but I expect
    them to
    come down in a few months. Another good thing about this camera is the
    optical (tiny gyroscopes) image stabilization. Works great for stills
    and
    movies. It has a 10x optical zoom, so in a way it bridges the gap
    between
    a digicam and a video camcorder.

    Tod.

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message news:<9uRIc.19561$oW6.4718173@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
    > I decided to go with the new sony w-1 digital camera and it does video at
    > 640x480 at 30fps on memory stick pro, which is a faster version of the
    > memory stick. It was about the same price online as the Pentax Optio,
    > doesn't have 10x optical zoom but has 12x total zoom with optical and
    > digital together, and takes better stills at 5.1 megs, plus it looks like a
    > digital camera so people won't expect to be on video, which is always fun.
    > The other one looks like a movie camera and expectations will be too high
    > for its capabilities.
    >
    > Again, this is not for a video event, I do have a DV camera for that. It's
    > for simple family gatherings when taking pictures and a small video clip is
    > a welcome surprise to capture voice and sound as well as a persons
    > mannerisms, that can all be done
    > great on a 15 second clip, no dv camera really needed just for that.
    >
    > AnthonyR
    >
    > <hbaker1@pipeline.com> wrote in message
    > > This camera claims 10x optical zoom, 3.2MP stills, 640x480x30fps
    > > MPEG videos stored on SD card.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any experience with this camera?
    > >
    > > Are there any stills and/or videos from this camera posted anywhere
    > > on the internet?

Cameras Video Peripherals