ATI Radeon and XP SP1

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Here is what was in the other post:

"Ever since I installed Service Pack 1 I have been
having trouble with the graphics specifically in two
games thus far: Grand Theft Auto III and Alice. The
problem is that the graphics are choppy in that they
flash polygons(squares and triangles) on the screen on
top of the game graphics. When I run DXDiag I find that
these same polygons flash through the Direct3D tests 7
and 9 of 7,8 and 9. I tried upgrading the ATI driver and
it does nothing. Is there a compatibility issue between
SP1 and ATI? Both games worked fine before the upgrade."

It was suggested that I download and re-install DX 9.0b.
I did this and got exactly the same results. Is there
anybody out there that knows what the difference is
between the DX3D tests 7,8, & 9 in DXDiag? What do I do
if test 7 is flashing polygons all over the screen and if
test 9 flashes a white border before the cube comes on?
It seems that these aspects of DX are the root of the
problem.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 13:46:56 -0700, Steve wrote:

> Here is what was in the other post:
>
> "Ever since I installed Service Pack 1 I have been
> having trouble with the graphics specifically in two
> games thus far: Grand Theft Auto III and Alice. The
> problem is that the graphics are choppy in that they
> flash polygons(squares and triangles) on the screen on
> top of the game graphics. When I run DXDiag I find that
> these same polygons flash through the Direct3D tests 7
> and 9 of 7,8 and 9. I tried upgrading the ATI driver and
> it does nothing. Is there a compatibility issue between
> SP1 and ATI? Both games worked fine before the upgrade."
>
> It was suggested that I download and re-install DX 9.0b.
> I did this and got exactly the same results. Is there
> anybody out there that knows what the difference is
> between the DX3D tests 7,8, & 9 in DXDiag? What do I do
> if test 7 is flashing polygons all over the screen and if
> test 9 flashes a white border before the cube comes on?
> It seems that these aspects of DX are the root of the
> problem.

Have you checked the ATI site? If I'm not mistaken, I've seen both games
listed in the known issues documentation. New drivers were released very
recently for many Radeon models. May want to give those a try. Also check
the ATI knowledge base for suggested settings to be used with specific
games.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I am replying to my own post because I discovered
something that I thought I ought to pass along. I called
ATI and talked to a human being and they said "Flashing
Polygons" all over the screen is almost certainly faulty
memory on the video card. They said it could not be the
monitor because the signs of a monitor going bad are
usually a cloudy screen or the brightness gradually
getting darker (this is also happening to me as well as
the card problem). This should apply to any card.