does anyone own a western digital external hard disk?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
(WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
are:

Rexon Technology Corp
input: 0.6A
output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

Thanks much!
6 answers Last reply
More about does western digital external hard disk
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Babolat <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:
    : I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
    : took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
    : (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
    : got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
    : Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
    : supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
    : Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
    : digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
    : external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
    : adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
    : are:

    : Rexon Technology Corp
    : input: 0.6A
    : output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A

    The voltages are consistent with what you would use for a hard drive -
    it wants +5V and +12V. I think you'll be fine with this supply, even
    if it's not the right one, unless it wants more current than that.
    (Doubt it.)

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    "Babolat" <babolat30@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
    > took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
    > (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
    > got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
    > Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
    > supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
    > Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
    > digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
    > external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
    > adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
    > are:
    >
    > Rexon Technology Corp
    > input: 0.6A
    > output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A
    >
    > Thanks much!

    I have an Acomdata 160 GB external HD which actually uses a WD drive and its
    adapter ("Dura Micro") puts out +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.8A. That's pretty close to
    yours. Actually, of the zillions of adapters I have kicking around, it's the
    only one with two output voltages and its type of plug. When an adapter
    could be confused with another, I generally put a label on it.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    Babolat wrote:

    > I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
    > took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
    > (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
    > got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
    > Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
    > supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
    > Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
    > digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
    > external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
    > adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
    > are:
    >
    > Rexon Technology Corp
    > input: 0.6A
    > output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A
    >
    > Thanks much!

    Well I've got what sounds like the same drive. It uses a Rexon power
    supply with the same voltages you listed. Additionally, the Model of my
    power supply is AC-005

    Lisa
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    I sympathize, having recently moved 1000 miles - I now have a bundle of
    about a dozen power adapters which I have no idea where they came from.
    Fortunately, I have sorted out all of the computer stuff. It would help if
    the packers would pack power adapters with the things they are attached
    to.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    In article <axczcasdfyacu94784245209@bizaveMYSHOES.com>,
    usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

    > In comp.sys.laptops Babolat <babolat30@aol.com> wrote:
    > : I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
    > : took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
    > : (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
    > : got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
    > : Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
    > : supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
    > : Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
    > : digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
    > : external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
    > : adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
    > : are:
    >
    > : Rexon Technology Corp
    > : input: 0.6A
    > : output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A
    >
    > The voltages are consistent with what you would use for a hard drive -
    > it wants +5V and +12V. I think you'll be fine with this supply, even
    > if it's not the right one, unless it wants more current than that.
    > (Doubt it.)

    I have three macs and a pc including all the perifials and cables that
    go with them. Any power adapters that arean't labled, like ZIP, etc, get
    labled as I plug them in for the first time. Over time, I've spray
    painted most of the power cords, cables, wires, network cables, etc, to
    as many diffent colors as I can. A phone line may be the same color as
    one of the power cords or monitor cords, but visualy they are different
    sizes/shapes.
    Just an idea......from someone that likes to be organized. (Hope I don't
    have to move!)......DaveC....
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.sgi.hardware (More info?)

    Thank you all for your help! A special thanks to Lisa for positively
    identifying the power supply. Lisa, mine also says AC-005 on it. I
    plugged it in last night and the hard drive is working just fine! I'll
    try to label all my adaptors from now on as the others suggested.
    Thanks again to everyone!
    -babolat

    Lisa Horton <Lisanews0509@lisahorton.net> wrote in message news:<411E4653.1A769E08@lisahorton.net>...
    > Babolat wrote:
    > >
    > > I just moved from one state to another. In the transition, the movers
    > > took everything apart and I had a western digital exernal hard disk
    > > (WD1200B), 120 GB, 7200 RPM, firewire and usb2.0 inteface. The drive
    > > got separated from the power supply during the packing and moving.
    > > Now, I have dozens of electronics items and I'm not sure if the power
    > > supply unit that I have unpacked is for the WD hard disk or not.
    > > Because all it says is Rexon Technology with no mention of western
    > > digital. Can anyone verify that this is the brand that comes with
    > > external WD hard disks before I plug it in and fry it because the
    > > adaptor was for some other peripheral!? The specs for the power supply
    > > are:
    > >
    > > Rexon Technology Corp
    > > input: 0.6A
    > > output: +5V/1.5A; +12V/1.5A
    > >
    > > Thanks much!
    >
    > Well I've got what sounds like the same drive. It uses a Rexon power
    > supply with the same voltages you listed. Additionally, the Model of my
    > power supply is AC-005
    >
    > Lisa

Hardware Western Digital Storage