Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Hi folks!
I'm using a Toshiba P20 P4-3.2HT, running XP-Pro and Premiere/Ulead to do video editing, which works very well. I'm running low on disk however, and am considering daisy-chaining my DVCam and an external drive, all via Firewire.

If I 'chained in the sequence notebook--drive--dvcam might this cause a bottleneck in the notebook's IE1394 controller? The editing software would be on the internal notebook HDD, but the captured video would go to the external drive ("between" the camera and the notebook). I've read that IE1394 has a mechanism to balance bandwidth or something like that ...

Any ideas for the most performant setup I could achieve given I have to work with a notebook?
I'm also considering buying a lower-spec desktop PC, using it's IE1394 port to access the HDD on the PC for storage - might this be just as fast as the first configuration mentioned above (i.e. external firewire drive daisychained), or would I still have the same controller bottleneck?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Regards,
Ivan

When I go away I take my notebook, P4 2ghz, 512mb ram, and a 120gb ext hdd.
I can daisy chain the hdd and cam as you say and have no problems capturing
to the ext hdd. I use premiere 6.5. After capture, I remove the cam and just
edit from the ext hdd.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Ivan" <globalivan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks!
> I'm using a Toshiba P20 P4-3.2HT, running XP-Pro and Premiere/Ulead to do
video editing, which works very well. I'm running low on disk however, and
am considering daisy-chaining my DVCam and an external drive, all via
Firewire.

> If I 'chained in the sequence notebook--drive--dvcam might this cause a
bottleneck in the notebook's IE1394 controller? The editing software would
be on the internal notebook HDD, but the captured video would go to the
external drive ("between" the camera and the notebook). I've read that
IE1394 has a mechanism to balance bandwidth or something like that ...

> Any ideas for the most performant setup I could achieve given I have to
work with a notebook?
> I'm also considering buying a lower-spec desktop PC, using it's IE1394
port to access the HDD on the PC for storage - might this be just as fast as
the first configuration mentioned above (i.e. external firewire drive
daisychained), or would I still have the same controller bottleneck?

> Thanks in advance for any advice!
> Regards,
> Ivan

Ivan

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Thanks Graham, sounds like it should work fine with Premiere 6.5. I was considering upgrading to Premiere 7 Pro, but probably won't, having noticed in their online doco (http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/31a8e.htm) that

"Adobe Premiere Pro doesn't support multiple devices on a FireWire chain or multiple devices on a FireWire card."

So far I have only used the DVCam on the Firewire interface with Premiere 6.5, without problems. Your feedback suggests I'll be fine daisy-chaining a HDD too. I wonder why Premiere Pro is so fussy with daisy-chained IE1394 devices? Throughput perhaps?

Ivan

----- Graham Hughes, MVP Digital Media wrote: -----

When I go away I take my notebook, P4 2ghz, 512mb ram, and a 120gb ext hdd.
I can daisy chain the hdd and cam as you say and have no problems capturing
to the ext hdd. I use premiere 6.5. After capture, I remove the cam and just
edit from the ext hdd.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
www.simplydv.co.uk

"Ivan" <globalivan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks!
> I'm using a Toshiba P20 P4-3.2HT, running XP-Pro and Premiere/Ulead to do
video editing, which works very well. I'm running low on disk however, and
am considering daisy-chaining my DVCam and an external drive, all via
Firewire.
>> If I 'chained in the sequence notebook--drive--dvcam might this cause a
bottleneck in the notebook's IE1394 controller? The editing software would
be on the internal notebook HDD, but the captured video would go to the
external drive ("between" the camera and the notebook). I've read that
IE1394 has a mechanism to balance bandwidth or something like that ...
>> Any ideas for the most performant setup I could achieve given I have to
work with a notebook?
> I'm also considering buying a lower-spec desktop PC, using it's IE1394
port to access the HDD on the PC for storage - might this be just as fast as
the first configuration mentioned above (i.e. external firewire drive
daisychained), or would I still have the same controller bottleneck?
>> Thanks in advance for any advice!
> Regards,
> Ivan

Ivan,
In my main editing machine I have a storm card, and the drivers for Premiere
pro are still quite poor, so I haven't bothered looking in to upgrading.
That's an interesting article you linked to, I'll see if I can find any more
info around and report back.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes