two 7.8 MB unallocated partions?

I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
leave them there?
5 answers Last reply
More about unallocated partions

    Because some idiot created two extended partitions on the hard drive.
    "jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
    > MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
    > extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
    > there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
    > these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
    > leave them there?

    They are so small, I would say to leave them alone.

    "jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
    > MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
    > extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
    > there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
    > these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
    > leave them there?

    "jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB?

    Un allocated means they're *not* part of any partition.

    > Do I need to try to delete
    > these unallocated spaces?

    How can you delete something that isn't there?

    > Is this normal?

    Yes.

    > Or should I
    > leave them there?

    How do you mean 'OR'?

    --
    Joep

    A partition can occupy a multiple of 'logical cylinder'. The disk size is
    usually not a multiple of those, so you end up with some space which cannot
    be allocated for a partition.

    On 15 Aug 2004 00:30:00 -0700, jf <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
    > MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
    > extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
    > there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
    > these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
    > leave them there?

    One 7.8MB unallocated partition is normal. Partitioning programs reserve it
    for the creation of a primary partition when a drive only has an extended
    partition. It's the smallest size possible but you can resize to recover one
    of the partitions if you want to allocate all the space possible.

Storage