two 7.8 MB unallocated partions?

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
Share
August 15, 2004 4:30:00 AM

I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
leave them there?

More about : unallocated partions

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 15, 2004 12:17:44 PM

Because some idiot created two extended partitions on the hard drive.
"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
> MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
> extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
> there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
> these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
> leave them there?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 15, 2004 5:30:24 PM

They are so small, I would say to leave them alone.

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
> MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
> extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
> there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
> these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
> leave them there?
Related resources
August 15, 2004 7:45:09 PM

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB?

Un allocated means they're *not* part of any partition.

> Do I need to try to delete
> these unallocated spaces?

How can you delete something that isn't there?

> Is this normal?

Yes.

> Or should I
> leave them there?

How do you mean 'OR'?

--
Joep
Anonymous

A partition can occupy a multiple of 'logical cylinder'. The disk size is
usually not a multiple of those, so you end up with some space which cannot
be allocated for a partition.

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
> MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
> extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
> there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
> these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
> leave them there?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 16, 2004 3:20:25 AM

On 15 Aug 2004 00:30:00 -0700, jf <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a USB external HD on my notebook. Partition Magic shows two 7.8
> MB unallocated partions on this external 30 GB drive. The drive is an
> extended partion and NTFS that is only used for data backup. Why are
> there two unallocated partitions of 7.8 MB? Do I need to try to delete
> these unallocated spaces? If so, how? Is this normal? Or should I
> leave them there?

One 7.8MB unallocated partition is normal. Partitioning programs reserve it
for the creation of a primary partition when a drive only has an extended
partition. It's the smallest size possible but you can resize to recover one
of the partitions if you want to allocate all the space possible.
!