  • Video
  • Windows XP
  • Nvidia
May 21, 2004 11:06:21 AM

XP seems to have major problems with nVidia ware. I
installed the card with 98SE. It didn't work, so I
upgraded to ME. That worked fine, except ME wouldn't run a
lot of my older games (Magic: the Gathering in particular)
so I upgraded to XP because it had Compatibility Mode. I
can't get the card to work. The display is slurred and
ghosty. I removed the card and the display is okay but
I still can't get Magic to run. The screen blanks like
it's going to run the game, then I just get dumped back
onto the desktop. What am I missing?

More about : nvidia geforce 5200 256mb

May 21, 2004 11:17:59 AM

Did you try going to Nvidias web site for 98 drivers.
Most of the major players are still supplying drivers for
98. I'm not sure if they have the drivers for your card,
but it's worth a look. here is the link.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64

May 21, 2004 11:48:13 AM

I have XP now. I went to the site and downloaded the
driver and installed it but it doesn't show up on the
device manager. It doesn't list my card in the supported
hardware list either.

Related resources
May 21, 2004 1:26:06 PM

----- Shemp wrote: -----

XP seems to have major problems with nVidia ware. I
installed the card with 98SE. It didn't work, so I
upgraded to ME. That worked fine, except ME wouldn't run a
lot of my older games (Magic: the Gathering in particular)
so I upgraded to XP because it had Compatibility Mode. I
can't get the card to work. The display is slurred and
ghosty. I removed the card and the display is okay but
I still can't get Magic to run. The screen blanks like
it's going to run the game, then I just get dumped back
onto the desktop. What am I missing?
Anonymous
May 22, 2004 1:56:47 PM

I have the same card in my video editing system and it works fine with XP,
don't play games on there though. Have you update XP?
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"Shemp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have XP now. I went to the site and downloaded the
> driver and installed it but it doesn't show up on the
> device manager. It doesn't list my card in the supported
> hardware list either.

May 22, 2004 2:42:04 PM

All the updates from windows update.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 2:31:48 AM

How are you viewing the screen if it's not listed in device manager? Do you
have on-board graphics that need to be disabled?
Graham

--

!