Big Gun on Roof in Follow Freeman

Hi Folks,

I'm on my 2nd go-thru and taking my time. I noticed that in Follow
Freeman, after you take out the generators that turn off the supression
fire coming down outside... You get to a point where Barney comes up
with a weak excuse not to follow you and sends you up to the roof to
clear a drawbridge.

Once you get up there, there's a flyer that you have to take out. Just
before you get to the drawbridge, there's a big gun with a shield on the
roof facing the square where a lot of striders are laying down fire.

It looks very tempting to turn on this big gun and blast away at those
striders. Unfortunately, the gun doesn't respond to the "use" key.

Is this gun just a decoration, or is there some way to turn it on?

-dreq

shawk

Derek Mark Edding wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm on my 2nd go-thru and taking my time. I noticed that in Follow
> Freeman, after you take out the generators that turn off the supression
> fire coming down outside... You get to a point where Barney comes up
> with a weak excuse not to follow you and sends you up to the roof to
> clear a drawbridge.
>
> Once you get up there, there's a flyer that you have to take out. Just
> before you get to the drawbridge, there's a big gun with a shield on the
> roof facing the square where a lot of striders are laying down fire.
>
> It looks very tempting to turn on this big gun and blast away at those
> striders. Unfortunately, the gun doesn't respond to the "use" key.
>
> Is this gun just a decoration, or is there some way to turn it on?
>
> -dreq

If there's a way to use it I haven't found it yet. Shame - wanted to
use it on the striders.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm on my 2nd go-thru and taking my time. I noticed that in Follow
> Freeman, after you take out the generators that turn off the supression
> fire coming down outside... You get to a point where Barney comes up
> with a weak excuse not to follow you and sends you up to the roof to
> clear a drawbridge.
>
> Once you get up there, there's a flyer that you have to take out. Just
> before you get to the drawbridge, there's a big gun with a shield on the
> roof facing the square where a lot of striders are laying down fire.
>
> It looks very tempting to turn on this big gun and blast away at those
> striders. Unfortunately, the gun doesn't respond to the "use" key.
>
> Is this gun just a decoration, or is there some way to turn it on?
>
> -dreq

Yeah I think we've all tried it. I couldn't get it working either. One thing
you can do to the striders though, is fire the unlimited supply of rockets
(stand next to the cache of rockets by the railings), over the railing up
into the air and laser guide them right into the striders. The striders end
up walking away, before you can finish them off. Then another one just comes
along. Oh well, it's fun anyway.

"Derek Mark Edding" <dreq@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> It looks very tempting to turn on this big gun and blast away at those
> striders. Unfortunately, the gun doesn't respond to the "use" key.
>
> Is this gun just a decoration, or is there some way to turn it on?

It would be fun to use, but at this point it's just a decoration. All
that work inside the building was to turn it off.

nutt wrote:

> It would be fun to use, but at this point it's just a decoration. All
> that work inside the building was to turn it off.

So that's the "Whoosh! BOOM!" everybodygofloatupintheair gun? kwell!!1!

I wonder if it's worth trying to cheat my way up there while it's still
running and take over?

Anybody tried that?

-dreq

Derek Mark Edding wrote:
> nutt wrote:
>
> > It would be fun to use, but at this point it's just a decoration.
All
> > that work inside the building was to turn it off.
>
> So that's the "Whoosh! BOOM!" everybodygofloatupintheair gun?
kwell!!1!

> I wonder if it's worth trying to cheat my way up there while it's
still
> running and take over?
>
> Anybody tried that?
>
> -dreq

I suspect that as the gun is never intended to be usable in the game,
it is in fact not actually a working gun ever. What would be the point
of coding a working gun that the player never sees?

Okilee Dokilee wrote:
> A bit similar to coding a blue tentacle that attacks you in the game
that
> the player never sees. (Something that actually was coded and not
used in
> the final game).

True. Maybe there was an early draft of the story where the gun was
usable and the model etc was created. Only one way to find out - noclip
up to the roof.

What's the betting that the roof doesn't exist in that map and that it
only gets loaded in a level change once you head roofwards after the
3rd generator? In which case it would be loaded as a non-usable gun
anyway.

"Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Derek Mark Edding wrote:
> > nutt wrote:
> >
> > > It would be fun to use, but at this point it's just a decoration.
> All
> > > that work inside the building was to turn it off.
> >
> > So that's the "Whoosh! BOOM!" everybodygofloatupintheair gun?
> kwell!!1!
> >
> > I wonder if it's worth trying to cheat my way up there while it's
> still
> > running and take over?
> >
> > Anybody tried that?
> >
> > -dreq
>
> I suspect that as the gun is never intended to be usable in the game,
> it is in fact not actually a working gun ever. What would be the point
> of coding a working gun that the player never sees?

A bit similar to coding a blue tentacle that attacks you in the game that
the player never sees. (Something that actually was coded and not used in
the final game).

http://www.traptown.com/pics/HL2%20Hydra2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS