Recording using DVD discs

Is there a way to change the configuration of a DVD disc? I have used 3 different types of DVD discs.
(as follows... Sony DVD-R : Philips DVD+R : Maxell DVD+R)
After purchasing these, I then found that I need to use a DVD+RW type of disc, but do to the cost, I was wondering if there is a way of using the other types I already have :(changing the computers configuration?) or finding another use for them.
I am currently running WinXP home. Thank You for any answer one may provide me in this question.
5 answers Last reply
More about recording discs

    Why do you need to use DVD+RW?
    It should be no different to the DVD+R other than that it can be
    re-recorded on. In fact depending on where you want to watch it the DVD+R is
    generally more compatible than the DVD+RW.
    The DVD-R disc is different and will always remain as it is, no way of
    changing it.
    Graham
    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media

    "Star" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to change the configuration of a DVD disc? I have used 3
    different types of DVD discs.
    > (as follows... Sony DVD-R : Philips DVD+R : Maxell DVD+R)
    > After purchasing these, I then found that I need to use a DVD+RW type of
    disc, but do to the cost, I was wondering if there is a way of using the
    other types I already have :(changing the computers configuration?) or
    finding another use for them.
    > I am currently running WinXP home. Thank You for any answer one may
    provide me in this question.

    Perhaps I have made myself a bit unclear on what my intentions are... as for changing the configuration:I noticed on the screen of one of my programs for backing up DVD's, that is showed a ability to change the configuration of the disc so that the drive would believe it was a DVD+RW and not a DVD+R or a DVD-R. Forgive my lack of knowledge in this dept. but I would rather know all there is, than what I need. Also...
    I am having trouble with the DVD drive, it shows no problems, yet it cannot be detected when a blank disc is inserted, I have gone through the help files, changed items, downloaded drivers and so forth, any other ideas.... I'm sure I've missed something or skipped perhaps. Thanks Again to all.

    > Perhaps I have made myself a bit unclear on what my intentions are... as
    for changing the configuration:I noticed on the screen of one of my programs
    for backing up DVD's, that is showed a ability to change the configuration
    of the disc so that the drive would believe it was a DVD+RW and not a DVD+R
    or a DVD-R. Forgive my lack of knowledge in this dept. but I would rather
    know all there is, than what I need. Also...
    > I am having trouble with the DVD drive, it shows no problems, yet it
    cannot be detected when a blank disc is inserted, I have gone through the
    help files, changed items, downloaded drivers and so forth, any other
    ideas.... I'm sure I've missed something or skipped perhaps. Thanks Again to
    all.

    What software are you referring to? Does the drive actually work- will it
    play a pre-recorded disc? Have you got the latest updates for your un-named
    software? Perhaps your specific drive is not recognized by earlier versions
    of the software.

    This site is a gold mine of information: http://www.videohelp.com/

    Regards,
    Ian.

    ----- Ionizer wrote: -----

    "Star" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Perhaps I have made myself a bit unclear on what my intentions are... as
    for changing the configuration:I noticed on the screen of one of my programs
    for backing up DVD's, that is showed a ability to change the configuration
    of the disc so that the drive would believe it was a DVD+RW and not a DVD+R
    or a DVD-R. Forgive my lack of knowledge in this dept. but I would rather
    know all there is, than what I need. Also...
    > I am having trouble with the DVD drive, it shows no problems, yet it
    cannot be detected when a blank disc is inserted, I have gone through the
    help files, changed items, downloaded drivers and so forth, any other
    ideas.... I'm sure I've missed something or skipped perhaps. Thanks Again to
    all.

    What software are you referring to? Does the drive actually work- will it
    play a pre-recorded disc? Have you got the latest updates for your un-named
    software? Perhaps your specific drive is not recognized by earlier versions
    of the software.

    This site is a gold mine of information: http://www.videohelp.com/

    Regards,
    Ian.

    RE: TO YOU Ian IF YOU FIND THIS:

    I just recently came back to read some responses, and coming across yours, I want to tell you that the "software" I was referring to were basic programs of burning/copying dvd's. And the cd/dvd writer "combo" can and does play any and all pre-recorded discs, just when I attempted, the dvd side of this combo wasn't being detected. I had current programs, but apparently not current with the drive itself, I ended up doing a system recov/restore and have found that there were quite a few items missing from the before and after, I am right now checking once again on my dvd drive, but seem to be doing much better with stats and info. So thank you for helping me, and being slightly sarcastic which is great, and the help site you offered was much help. Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

    > RE: TO YOU Ian IF YOU FIND THIS:
    >
    > I just recently came back to read some responses, and coming across
    yours, I want to tell you that the "software" I was referring to were
    basic programs of burning/copying dvd's. And the cd/dvd writer "combo" can
    and does play any and all pre-recorded discs, just when I attempted, the
    dvd side of this combo wasn't being detected. I had current programs, but
    apparently not current with the drive itself, I ended up doing a system
    recov/restore and have found that there were quite a few items missing
    from the before and after, I am right now checking once again on my dvd
    drive, but seem to be doing much better with stats and info. So thank you
    for helping me, and being slightly sarcastic which is great, and the help
    site you offered was much help. Thank you again, I do appreciate it.

    I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you. The slight sarcasm
    on my part was unintended- it's so unconscious on my part that I don't
    even realize I'm doing it most of the time.

    REGARDS,
    iAN.

Video DVD Configuration Windows XP