having trouble securing my wireless laptop

I have the new Linksys wireless router which gets it's internet connection
via a linksys cable modem.
All my computers use my old wired cat5 cables except my new Toshiba laptop
which is wireless.

I have no problems connecting from anywhere in my home.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.mspx

Even though I carefully read and tried to implement the instructions from
the above URL
I can't seem to make it work correctly.
As soon as I complete these instructions, I loose the ability to connect to
the web via the wireless laptop.

I'm missing something here....
Like a primer "Wireless security for REAL STUPID DUMMIES".
Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Please and thank you.

It is better to be looked over than overlooked.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
2 answers Last reply
More about having trouble securing wireless laptop

    Hi.
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > I have the new Linksys wireless router which gets it's internet connection
    > via a linksys cable modem.
    > All my computers use my old wired cat5 cables except my new Toshiba laptop
    > which is wireless.
    >
    > I have no problems connecting from anywhere in my home.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.m
    spx

    > Even though I carefully read and tried to implement the instructions from
    > the above URL
    > I can't seem to make it work correctly.
    > As soon as I complete these instructions, I loose the ability to connect
    > the web via the wireless laptop.
    >
    > I'm missing something here....
    > Like a primer "Wireless security for REAL STUPID DUMMIES".
    > Can anyone point me in the correct direction?
    >
    > Please and thank you.

    > It is better to be looked over than overlooked.
    >
    > Bill H. in Chicagoland

    I've used those two sites previously
    but as soon as I try to set the encryption method in both the wireless
    router and the laptop the same, I loose connection, I get low signal message
    etc.
    I'm missing something basic here.

    "Jack" <JackMDS at veriz0n.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > May be this can Help.
    > Wireless - Basic: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "FireBrick" <w9ol.nospam@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > > I have the new Linksys wireless router which gets it's internet
    connection
    > > via a linksys cable modem.
    > > All my computers use my old wired cat5 cables except my new Toshiba
    laptop
    > > which is wireless.
    > >
    > > I have no problems connecting from anywhere in my home.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_03july28.m
    > spx
    > >
    > > Even though I carefully read and tried to implement the instructions
    from
    > > the above URL
    > > I can't seem to make it work correctly.
    > > As soon as I complete these instructions, I loose the ability to connect
    > > the web via the wireless laptop.
    > >
    > > I'm missing something here....
    > > Like a primer "Wireless security for REAL STUPID DUMMIES".
    > > Can anyone point me in the correct direction?
    > >
    > > Please and thank you.
    > > --

    > > It is better to be looked over than overlooked.
    > >
    > > Bill H. in Chicagoland

Wireless Laptops Linksys Wireless Networking