How can I access my COM ports?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I am running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 SP1. My laptop
has two USB ports and an IEEE 1394. There is no SubD RS-
232 serial connector. Currently I connect my video
camera to the IEEE port via a firewire, and can access
the device through Scanner and Camera Wizard, but I'd
like to try the original driver software that came with
the camera, instead (Panasonic PhotoVue Link).

The problem is that PhotoVue Link can't establish
communications with the camera, as it is looking for a
COM port. The COM port selection dialogue in the
software offers COM1: through COM4:, but they are all
greyed out. Is there any way I can configure my system
to make the COM ports accessible through the IEEE, so
that the software will find them?

BTW, the only cable that came with the camera was a
serial cable with a standard 9-pin SubD, so that's no
good. I suppose I could get a USB cable for the camera,
but I'm not sure if the software would find the COM ports
through that, either.

Gerry
3 answers Last reply
More about access ports
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    See if you can get an updated Firewire and/or USB driver
    from Panasonic for the PhotoVue.

    Or try IRFanview and nice free program that should handle
    your needs.
    at http://www.irfanview.com/

    "Gerry Busch" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:1093b01c44014$0f496b90$a001280a@phx.gbl...
    | I am running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 SP1. My laptop
    | has two USB ports and an IEEE 1394. There is no SubD RS-
    | 232 serial connector. Currently I connect my video
    | camera to the IEEE port via a firewire, and can access
    | the device through Scanner and Camera Wizard, but I'd
    | like to try the original driver software that came with
    | the camera, instead (Panasonic PhotoVue Link).
    |
    | The problem is that PhotoVue Link can't establish
    | communications with the camera, as it is looking for a
    | COM port. The COM port selection dialogue in the
    | software offers COM1: through COM4:, but they are all
    | greyed out. Is there any way I can configure my system
    | to make the COM ports accessible through the IEEE, so
    | that the software will find them?
    |
    | BTW, the only cable that came with the camera was a
    | serial cable with a standard 9-pin SubD, so that's no
    | good. I suppose I could get a USB cable for the camera,
    | but I'm not sure if the software would find the COM ports
    | through that, either.
    |
    | Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    |
    | Gerry

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 08:47:17 -0700, "Gerry Busch"

    >I am running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 SP1. My laptop
    >has two USB ports and an IEEE 1394. There is no SubD RS-
    >232 serial connector. Currently I connect my video
    >camera to the IEEE port via a firewire, and can access
    >the device through Scanner and Camera Wizard, but I'd
    >like to try the original driver software that came with
    >the camera, instead (Panasonic PhotoVue Link).
    >
    >The problem is that PhotoVue Link can't establish
    >communications with the camera, as it is looking for a
    >COM port. The COM port selection dialogue in the
    >software offers COM1: through COM4:, but they are all
    >greyed out. Is there any way I can configure my system
    >to make the COM ports accessible through the IEEE, so
    >that the software will find them?
    >
    >BTW, the only cable that came with the camera was a
    >serial cable with a standard 9-pin SubD, so that's no
    >good. I suppose I could get a USB cable for the camera,
    >but I'm not sure if the software would find the COM ports
    >through that, either.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    I got one of the below USB to serial port adapters and it works
    very well.

    http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/usbtoserrs9p.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Didn't say what model camera and what version software but you might go
    to panasonic site and look for later version of software. Most
    software versions I noted were for either USB and Serial or Firewire and
    Serial but yours may be earlier or having trouble because it was written
    for USB 1 or 1.1 and not seeing a 2.0 port.

    Si Ballenger wrote:

    > On Sat, 22 May 2004 08:47:17 -0700, "Gerry Busch"
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I am running Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 SP1. My laptop
    >>has two USB ports and an IEEE 1394. There is no SubD RS-
    >>232 serial connector. Currently I connect my video
    >>camera to the IEEE port via a firewire, and can access
    >>the device through Scanner and Camera Wizard, but I'd
    >>like to try the original driver software that came with
    >>the camera, instead (Panasonic PhotoVue Link).
    >>
    >>The problem is that PhotoVue Link can't establish
    >>communications with the camera, as it is looking for a
    >>COM port. The COM port selection dialogue in the
    >>software offers COM1: through COM4:, but they are all
    >>greyed out. Is there any way I can configure my system
    >>to make the COM ports accessible through the IEEE, so
    >>that the software will find them?
    >>
    >>BTW, the only cable that came with the camera was a
    >>serial cable with a standard 9-pin SubD, so that's no
    >>good. I suppose I could get a USB cable for the camera,
    >>but I'm not sure if the software would find the COM ports
    >>through that, either.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    >

    > I got one of the below USB to serial port adapters and it works
    > very well.
    >
    > http://store.yahoo.com/saveateaglestore/usbtoserrs9p.html

Video Cameras Microsoft Windows XP