Bad sectors found on a RAID 0 two HD array, what to do?

After a good shutdown, my computer didn't work the next day. Win2k was
crashing (locking) when I tried to start it (even in safe mode). On
the next boots I noticed that scandisk wasn't able to scan one of my
partitions (scanning forever at 66%). So I figured that the problem
was a bad sector on one of my 2 HDs on my RAID 0 array. I tried DOS's
scandisk, Partition magic's check for error with the same result, they
were not able to scan the HD. (partition magic returned a #50 read
fault error). So I tried Ranish partition manager to verify (V option)
the drives and found that it was unable to continue scanning the
drives at
Cylinder 12509 head 1 sector 1

I had to get my system working again I soon as I could so before
trying to Low level format the faulty drive or any other bad sector
scans I just used partition magic to resize the partition and stop
using cylinder 12509 head 1 sector 1 (I left it unallocated). And
restored my backups

My questions are:

Does my problem really is a bad sector one of the drives?

Is it normal? I got them both 1 month ago, should I return the faulty
drive or wait to see if I constantly find new bad sectors?

Will I be able to scan the drives for errors in my RAID setup and tag
the sector as faulty (to retreive a perfect drive) or will I need to
scan the drives one by one on a standard EIDE interface? If I do so,
will I loose all my data and partition/RAID setup.

My drives are 2 Western digital WD1200JB 120Gig IDE drives.
They are supposed to be very reliable aren't they ?

I found 2 interesting products on the web to scan my drives:
spinrite 5.0
DIY datarecovery's HD Workbench 1.0

Wich one should I use? Got any other suggestions? Is there a product
that could support RAID?

Should I use Western Digital's own LLF and scanning tools?

Here's my RAID 0 setup
ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard
2 WD1200JB installed as RAID 0

Thanks in advance
8 answers Last reply
More about sectors found raid array

    "someone92" <someone92@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f458cae2.0408190119.43029476@posting.google.com...
    > After a good shutdown, my computer didn't work the next day. Win2k was
    > crashing (locking) when I tried to start it (even in safe mode). On
    > the next boots I noticed that scandisk wasn't able to scan one of my
    > partitions (scanning forever at 66%). So I figured that the problem
    > was a bad sector on one of my 2 HDs on my RAID 0 array. I tried DOS's
    > scandisk, Partition magic's check for error with the same result, they
    > were not able to scan the HD. (partition magic returned a #50 read
    > fault error). So I tried Ranish partition manager to verify (V option)
    > the drives and found that it was unable to continue scanning the
    > drives at
    > Cylinder 12509 head 1 sector 1
    >
    > I had to get my system working again I soon as I could so before
    > trying to Low level format the faulty drive or any other bad sector
    > scans I just used partition magic to resize the partition and stop
    > using cylinder 12509 head 1 sector 1 (I left it unallocated). And
    > restored my backups
    >
    > My questions are:
    >
    > Does my problem really is a bad sector one of the drives?

    Very likely.

    > Is it normal? I got them both 1 month ago, should I return the faulty
    > drive or wait to see if I constantly find new bad sectors?

    Your power supply OK?

    Not sure but try FindBad. www.partitionsupport.com

    > or will I need to scan the drives one by one on a standard EIDE interface?

    Depends on whether the RAID obscures the individual physical drives
    and/or Findbad refuses to run on the RAID.

    > If I do so, will I loose all my data and partition/RAID setup.

    Not with FindBad unless this bad sector happens to hold crucial data.

    > My drives are 2 Western digital WD1200JB 120Gig IDE drives.
    > They are supposed to be very reliable aren't they ?
    >
    > I found 2 interesting products on the web to scan my drives:
    > spinrite 5.0
    > DIY datarecovery's HD Workbench 1.0

    A waste of money for a simple bad sector.

    > Wich one should I use?

    Neither.

    > Got any other suggestions? Is there a product that could support RAID?

    Try FindBad and find out.

    > Should I use Western Digital's own LLF and scanning tools?

    Preferably if your data is of no concern and you want to know if there is
    reason for warranty return.

    Otherwise, anything that is able to overwrite a bad sector is equally fine.
    Using a secure delete on a file that the sector is in will already do the job.
    Overwriting the sector with a sector editor, etc., anything.

    > Here's my RAID 0 setup
    > ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard
    > 2 WD1200JB installed as RAID 0
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    After repartioning my HD and stop using the bad sector area. I've
    reinstalled my system yesterday using my backups. Everything was
    working fine, until I tried to open my computer this morning. The same
    problem as yesterday, windows would no load and I found 2 more bad
    sectors using Ranish Partition Manager.

    But what I found out is that if I let Ranish or DOS scandisk go one it
    finally continue the scanning and find the bad sectors (add it to the
    bad sectors list too). So using them I can repair my system.

    I really begin to think I should return the faulty drive. Could it be
    because of my RAID setup and be cause by the ABIT KT7A RAID
    controller.

    I didn't test the 2 drives individually yet to see wich one of them is
    broken (or are they both containing bad sectors)

    What do you think is the best solution is it to return the faulty
    drive?

    Could it be caused by a virus (AVG do not detect any). My system
    backups dates from last week and I didn't have any problems at that
    point. But the virus could be installed in the MBR.

    One strange thing I have noticed is that it's always the same
    partition who gets bad sectors. All my 6 other partitions are ok. It's
    the one I have installed all softwares (I have a partition for WIN2K's
    system files and one for the programs). The rest of the drive do not
    develops bad sectors.

    Thanks in advance

    someone92 wrote:

    > I really begin to think I should return the faulty drive. Could it be
    > because of my RAID setup and be cause by the ABIT KT7A RAID
    > controller.

    How are the drives mounted in your case? If they are sandwiched one on
    top of another, that makes a nice little oven to assure premature
    failure. (Unless perhaps you have a fan blowing directly on/through them)

    > I didn't test the 2 drives individually yet to see wich one of them is
    > broken (or are they both containing bad sectors)

    It might be a good idea to test them individually.

    > What do you think is the best solution is it to return the faulty
    > drive?

    If it's under warranty, why not?

    > Could it be caused by a virus (AVG do not detect any).

    No, not really.

    -WD

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:52:27 -0400, Will Dormann wrote:

    > How are the drives mounted in your case? If they are sandwiched one on
    > top of another, that makes a nice little oven to assure premature
    > failure. (Unless perhaps you have a fan blowing directly on/through them)

    Yes they are mounted one on top of another, but with empty bay between
    them. I knew it could get very hot so a fan is blowing directly through
    them. But the fan was off at the time of the first failure (I was tired of
    the noise of my 5 fans so I turned off 3 of them). It was working very well
    this way since I turned them of 2 or 3 weeks ago. And They were turned off
    last year for many months when I was using fujtsu hard drives without any
    problems. Now they are western digital HDs. At the time of the second
    failure (the next day) all the fans were in operation (I thought it could
    have cause the problem). You think even with an empty bay between them the
    temp could cause the drive to fail without a fan blowing at them? The
    temperature condition where I live were not too high this week (about
    20C,68F) but with a little bit of humidity. But I've seen a lot worst (and
    for a long time my system was overclocked).

    Oh, by the way, can a CPU overheat cause HD problems like bad sectors?
    My CPU is currently at 59C. It's an Athlon XP 1800+ (using the original
    cooler). I have 3 fans, plus the CPU fan, a chip motherboard fan, and 2
    fans in my Enermax power supply. Usualy I get 48-55C. Is the 59C I see
    today is too high for this CPU? (but right now I'm running An antivirus
    scanning my HDs and downloading a lot of files). Yesterday when I checked
    my CPU temp it was about 54-55C.

    in responce to a question ask my power supplu is a good one, an enermax
    460W power supply.

    none wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 23:52:27 -0400, Will Dormann wrote:
    >
    > Yes they are mounted one on top of another, but with empty bay between
    > them. I knew it could get very hot so a fan is blowing directly through
    > them.

    When I said "sandwiched", I was sort of implying that the drives were
    nearly touching. But that's not the case with you, which is good. As
    for whether the fan is necessary or not, you'll have to check the temps.

    If the drives are hung off of a RAID controller, I don't know of any way
    to check the temperature via SMART. Another thing to consider is that
    the drive manufacturer is Western Digital. I'm not sure if they have
    changed their policy, but traditionally their drives have not had
    onboard temperature monitors. Under 45C is a reasonable target for
    hard drives.

    If your fans are too loud, replace them with quieter ones, like the PC
    Power & Cooling silencer.
    http://pcpowercooling.com/products/cooling/silencerfan/index.htm

    -WD

    none wrote:

    > Oh, by the way, can a CPU overheat cause HD problems like bad sectors?
    > My CPU is currently at 59C. It's an Athlon XP 1800+

    Very unlikely. Your CPU temp isn't much to worry about, unless you are
    experiencing stability problems like BSODs or spontaneous reboots. I
    have an 1800+ CPU and depending on ambient temperature and load it can
    get up to 70C without any stability issues.

    > in responce to a question ask my power supplu is a good one, an enermax
    > 460W power supply.

    I've got one of those too. They are highly recommended.

    -WD

    none wrote:

    > Oh, by the way, can a CPU overheat cause HD problems like bad sectors?
    > My CPU is currently at 59C. It's an Athlon XP 1800+ (using the original
    > cooler). I have 3 fans, plus the CPU fan, a chip motherboard fan, and 2
    > fans in my Enermax power supply. Usualy I get 48-55C. Is the 59C I see
    > today is too high for this CPU? (but right now I'm running An antivirus
    > scanning my HDs and downloading a lot of files). Yesterday when I checked
    > my CPU temp it was about 54-55C.

    60C is fine for an Athlon--they can handle much higher temperatures than
    that but 60 is a good target--allows for inaccuracy in the sensors and
    gives some headroom in case something goes wrong with the cooling.

    > in responce to a question ask my power supplu is a good one, an enermax
    > 460W power supply.

    Is it working properly though? Power supplies sometimes break in a manner
    that causes the voltages to go out of spec intermittently--I've seen power
    supplies drop all the voltages 20% for five minutes and then come back to
    normal, and I've seen that happen with several brands, including Antec and
    Enermax. When that happens I also usually see disk trouble. It was just
    dumb luck that I was watching the voltages once when it happened--after
    that I knew to look for it. In each case replacing the power supply made
    the trouble go away.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)