Home Router Gateway Question

rognorak

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2002
Hello All,

I am looking into purchasing a home gateway / router for my cable modem, so I can share internet access with my sister. I have read several articles online, and one of my concerns is that some articles say that most of these products do not route internet traffic 100% correctly, causeing trouble with transfer types not widely used such as DCC transfers over IRC. I use DCC a lot, and I cannot lose its functionality. I would also like a solution that offers me hard wired and wireless capability, if such a solution exists.

if anyone has any suggestions, or has anyone used the linksys products successfully with DCC transfers, please give me some input.

Thank You
Mike

edwpang

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001
LinkSys BEFSR41 - EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch has a feature which can set DMZ(Demilitarized Zone)host. It allows one local user to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming and videoconferencing. For detail see the user manual ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/befsr11_befsr41ug.pdf. But I has never used this product myself. For sharing internet connection with my wife's computer, I use my own computer as gateway by installing a second NIC in my computer and using the internet sharing feature of Windows XP.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by edwpang on 12/23/02 04:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
well, the built in firewall of a router is a common problem. You will be able to use dcc on at least on of your computers if you set it as the DMZ and do some port forwarding. That's they way I am right now, but other computers on the network wont have the same capabilities.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

sbolinger2

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I use a linksys BEFSR41 for DCC with no problems. I don't suggest using DMZ becuase I believe it opens ALL your computer ports. The software on the router has a 'forwarding' screen that you can choose the pc ip you are using dcc from and the ports you would like to use for it.

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I think it's an IRC protocol for transfering files and messages, I really don't know, but I do know it's for IRC.

Here's probably some info on it:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7120/irc-chat.html" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7120/irc-chat.html</A>

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The BEFSR41 is going to be your best bet. Linksys makes a wireless version too (Same thing + wireless). Either will work for you.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt