Hardware reports PIO instead of DMA on disks (asus a7n8x m..

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • DMA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 22, 2004 10:21:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
is set in XP.

It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.

HDtach 2.70 reports:

50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk

The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

WD 80GB EIDE Disk:
Model ID WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
Parameters 155061 cyl, 16h, 63sec
LBA Sectors 156301488
Buffer 8 MB
Dual Ported, Read Ahead
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 40
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 89436 MB

Maxtor 160GB SATA DIsk:
Model ID Maxtor 6Y160M0
Parameters 317632 cyl, 16h, 63sec
LBA Sectors 320173056
Buffer 7936 KB
Dual Ported, Read Ahead
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4

Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 156334 MB

--
Al Dykes
-----------

More about : hardware reports pio dma disks asus a7n8x

August 23, 2004 4:20:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

According to the stats you posted, both drives ARE using ATA-100 mode, see
"Active UDMA mode"
So don't think you have any problems, apart from the CPU usage - how are you
measuring this? I use SiSoft Sandra but it does'nt give CPU usage for the
HDD benchmarks...

> Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
> is set in XP.
>
> It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
> on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.
>

> HDtach 2.70 reports:
>
> 50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
> 63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk
>
> The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
> at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
> down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.
>

> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks

> WD 80GB EIDE Disk:
> Model ID WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
> Parameters 155061 cyl, 16h,
63sec
> LBA Sectors 156301488
> Buffer 8 MB
> Dual Ported, Read
Ahead
> Multiple Sectors 16
> ECC Bytes 40
> Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
> Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
> Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
> Unformatted Capacity 89436 MB
>
> Maxtor 160GB SATA DIsk:
> Model ID Maxtor 6Y160M0
> Parameters 317632 cyl, 16h,
63sec
> LBA Sectors 320173056
> Buffer 7936 KB
> Dual Ported, Read
Ahead
> Multiple Sectors 16
> ECC Bytes 4
>
> Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
> Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
> Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
> Unformatted Capacity 156334 MB

> --
> Al Dykes
> -----------
> adykes at p a n i x . c o m
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 23, 2004 11:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

> Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
> is set in XP.
>
> It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
> on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.
>

> HDtach 2.70 reports:
>
> 50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
> 63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk
>
> The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
> at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
> down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.
>

> Any suggestions ?

Ignore HDTach's CPU usage figures. The transfer rate is what it is good at.
It is using UDMA mode.
!