Hardware reports PIO instead of DMA on disks (asus a7n8x m..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
is set in XP.

It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.

HDtach 2.70 reports:

50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk

The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

WD 80GB EIDE Disk:
Model ID WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
Parameters 155061 cyl, 16h, 63sec
LBA Sectors 156301488
Buffer 8 MB
Dual Ported, Read Ahead
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 40
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 89436 MB

Maxtor 160GB SATA DIsk:
Model ID Maxtor 6Y160M0
Parameters 317632 cyl, 16h, 63sec
LBA Sectors 320173056
Buffer 7936 KB
Dual Ported, Read Ahead
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4

Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 156334 MB

--
Al Dykes
-----------

    According to the stats you posted, both drives ARE using ATA-100 mode, see
    "Active UDMA mode"
    So don't think you have any problems, apart from the CPU usage - how are you
    measuring this? I use SiSoft Sandra but it does'nt give CPU usage for the
    HDD benchmarks...

    > Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
    > is set in XP.
    >
    > It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
    > on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.
    >

    > HDtach 2.70 reports:
    >
    > 50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
    > 63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk
    >
    > The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
    > at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
    > down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.
    >

    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks

    > WD 80GB EIDE Disk:
    > Model ID WDC WD800JB-00CRA1
    > Parameters 155061 cyl, 16h,
    63sec
    > LBA Sectors 156301488
    > Buffer 8 MB
    > Dual Ported, Read
    Ahead
    > Multiple Sectors 16
    > ECC Bytes 40
    > Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
    > Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    > Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    > Unformatted Capacity 89436 MB
    >
    > Maxtor 160GB SATA DIsk:
    > Model ID Maxtor 6Y160M0
    > Parameters 317632 cyl, 16h,
    63sec
    > LBA Sectors 320173056
    > Buffer 7936 KB
    > Dual Ported, Read
    Ahead
    > Multiple Sectors 16
    > ECC Bytes 4
    >
    > Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
    > Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
    > Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
    > Unformatted Capacity 156334 MB

    > --
    > Al Dykes
    > -----------
    > adykes at p a n i x . c o m
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Why isn't my system runnning my disk in DMA ? I can't see where this
    > is set in XP.
    >
    > It's an A7n8x modo with an 80GB EIDE disk and a 160GB SATA disk. Each
    > on it's own channel. CPU is an AMP Athlon 2200.
    >

    > HDtach 2.70 reports:
    >
    > 50MB/s max @ 28% CPU on the 80GB disk
    > 63MB/s max @73%CPU on the 160GB disk
    >
    > The last time I screwed with DMS vs PIO was several years ago and
    > at that time I found DMA was better, and SCSI got CPU % utilizization
    > down to single digits. 73% on the SATA channel doesn't sound right.
    >

    > Any suggestions ?

    Ignore HDTach's CPU usage figures. The transfer rate is what it is good at.
    It is using UDMA mode.

Hardware DMA Storage