CD/DVD RW/ROM etc Whats it all about?

I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the "optical
storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to be
called.

But i do't know a lot about it yet. When trying to configure a PC to buy some
give 2 options for CD RW's/DVD's some offer combo's, some offer 3 slots for a
CDRW/DVDRW/CD DVD Rom!

Could somebody help me and advise what set up i need - not the make but the set
up - do i need a CDRW a DVD Rom a DVD RW etc to maximize what i can then do in
the future with my music CD and/or DVD's? - What are the options/what do they
do/what do i therefore need?

Many thanks for any info
3 answers Last reply
More about whats about

    "Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
    "optical
    > storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
    > CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to be
    > called.

    The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
    They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
    there.

    The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer" but
    I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't think
    thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW drives).

    CWatters wrote:

    > "Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
    > "optical
    >> storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
    >> CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to
    >> be called.
    >
    > The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
    > They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
    > there.
    >
    > The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer"
    > but I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't
    > think thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW
    > drives).

    All of the dual-layer drives that newegg stocks are support +/-R/RW.

    Personally I'd go for one of the LGs that supports DVD-RAM in addition to
    +/-R/RW at the moment in preference to a dual-layer drive unless I
    absolutely had to have the dual-layer capability.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > "Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
    > "optical
    > > storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
    > > CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to
    be
    > > called.
    >
    > The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
    > They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
    > there.
    >
    > The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer"
    but
    > I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't
    think
    > thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW
    drives).

    They've been out for a few months now. Dual layer +/- DVDRW burners that
    is. Don't recommend it yet, until the dust settles on what burner software
    will support what model. Too new, untested, wait a few months.

    Then there's other concerns like A/V to these type burners and dual layer
    media, and software that can handle it. Wait.

DVD RW CD-Rom Storage