CD/DVD RW/ROM etc Whats it all about?

I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the "optical
storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to be
called.

But i do't know a lot about it yet. When trying to configure a PC to buy some
give 2 options for CD RW's/DVD's some offer combo's, some offer 3 slots for a
CDRW/DVDRW/CD DVD Rom!

Could somebody help me and advise what set up i need - not the make but the set
up - do i need a CDRW a DVD Rom a DVD RW etc to maximize what i can then do in
the future with my music CD and/or DVD's? - What are the options/what do they
do/what do i therefore need?

Many thanks for any info

"Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
"optical
> storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
> CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to be
> called.

The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
there.

The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer" but
I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't think
thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW drives).

CWatters wrote:

> "Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
> "optical
>> storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
>> CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to
>> be called.
>
> The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
> They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
> there.
>
> The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer"
> but I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't
> think thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW
> drives).

All of the dual-layer drives that newegg stocks are support +/-R/RW.

Personally I'd go for one of the LGs that supports DVD-RAM in addition to
+/-R/RW at the moment in preference to a dual-layer drive unless I
absolutely had to have the dual-layer capability.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> "Nick847m" <nick847m@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I am trying to buy a new PC. An important aspect of this will be the
> "optical
> > storage" - I want to be able to do all things possible as such with my
> > CD's/DVD's on a PC so i want the correct optical storage as it seems to
be
> > called.
>
> The short answer it try and get a PC with a "Multi standard DVD writer".
> They can usually handle just about any type of CD or DVD you can find out
> there.
>
> The only thing better would be a "Dual layer Multi standard DVD writer"
but
> I don't think they exist yet. (Dual layer writers do exist but I don't
think
> thay are multi standard - I think they only handle DVD+R or DVD+RW
drives).

They've been out for a few months now. Dual layer +/- DVDRW burners that
is. Don't recommend it yet, until the dust settles on what burner software
will support what model. Too new, untested, wait a few months.

Then there's other concerns like A/V to these type burners and dual layer
media, and software that can handle it. Wait.