Help! Simple Ghost question

bill

It's my understanding that if I image a partition (e.g. C:\ drive with
all progams and data), then restore it to a new drive, it effectively
copies the partition info as well to the destination drive.

Does this mean that if I image a 2GB drive (all one partition) to a
partition I have already formatted as a 4GB partition, that when Ghost
is done I'll end up with a 2GB partition on the new drive? I want to
copy my data and programs over, but I don't want to 'reformat' my new
partition to match my old puny one.

Thanks.
Bill

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

NO! ghost scales the image up to fit the new destination drive, so you would
still have 4gb. It will even do the reverse and fit copy of a partition onto
a smaller drive - so long as there's enough room for the data...

"Bill" <bill@nospam.com> wrote in message
> It's my understanding that if I image a partition (e.g. C:\ drive with
> all progams and data), then restore it to a new drive, it effectively
> copies the partition info as well to the destination drive.
>
> Does this mean that if I image a 2GB drive (all one partition) to a
> partition I have already formatted as a 4GB partition, that when Ghost
> is done I'll end up with a 2GB partition on the new drive? I want to
> copy my data and programs over, but I don't want to 'reformat' my new
> partition to match my old puny one.
>
> Thanks.
> Bill

bill

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>NO! ghost scales the image up to fit the new destination drive, so you would
>still have 4gb. It will even do the reverse and fit copy of a partition onto
>a smaller drive - so long as there's enough room for the data...

Great! Thanks!