ATA-100 cable length question aGaiN

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
August 26, 2004 2:11:21 AM

Yep.. been kickin' this one around for a while. I have a tall server
case with six 5" bays in front. With a Promise TX2 FastTrack adapter
in an upper PCI slot.. 18" cables will reach the two lower 5" bays..
but to connect four ATA-100 drives on two cables requires 22" or 24"
cables.

It really was a `drag' to learn the spec was 18" ribbon.. so I could
not `pack' my big expensive serve chassis with mirror arrays. :(

What is the consensus on slightly longer cables for Promise TX2 RAID
for TWO drives.. and FOUR drives on two-channel adapter?
August 27, 2004 1:15:36 PM

Spec still says 18.

You might get away with slightly longer.

That's the long and the short of it.

--
Dr. Nuketopia
Sorry, no e-Mail.

<file_server@box.com> wrote in message

> Yep.. been kickin' this one around for a while. I have a tall server
> case with six 5" bays in front. With a Promise TX2 FastTrack adapter
> in an upper PCI slot.. 18" cables will reach the two lower 5" bays..
> but to connect four ATA-100 drives on two cables requires 22" or 24"
> cables.
>
> It really was a `drag' to learn the spec was 18" ribbon.. so I could
> not `pack' my big expensive serve chassis with mirror arrays. :(
>
> What is the consensus on slightly longer cables for Promise TX2 RAID
> for TWO drives.. and FOUR drives on two-channel adapter?

Risky, IMO. Time to move to SATA
!