ATA-100 cable length question aGaiN

Yep.. been kickin' this one around for a while. I have a tall server
case with six 5" bays in front. With a Promise TX2 FastTrack adapter
in an upper PCI slot.. 18" cables will reach the two lower 5" bays..
but to connect four ATA-100 drives on two cables requires 22" or 24"
cables.

It really was a `drag' to learn the spec was 18" ribbon.. so I could
not `pack' my big expensive serve chassis with mirror arrays. :(

What is the consensus on slightly longer cables for Promise TX2 RAID
for TWO drives.. and FOUR drives on two-channel adapter?
2 answers Last reply
More about cable length question again

    Spec still says 18.

    You might get away with slightly longer.

    That's the long and the short of it.

    --
    Dr. Nuketopia
    Sorry, no e-Mail.

    <file_server@box.com> wrote in message

    > Yep.. been kickin' this one around for a while. I have a tall server
    > case with six 5" bays in front. With a Promise TX2 FastTrack adapter
    > in an upper PCI slot.. 18" cables will reach the two lower 5" bays..
    > but to connect four ATA-100 drives on two cables requires 22" or 24"
    > cables.
    >
    > It really was a `drag' to learn the spec was 18" ribbon.. so I could
    > not `pack' my big expensive serve chassis with mirror arrays. :(
    >
    > What is the consensus on slightly longer cables for Promise TX2 RAID
    > for TWO drives.. and FOUR drives on two-channel adapter?

    Risky, IMO. Time to move to SATA

Cable Storage