GeForce FX 2500 wont work with XP

mick

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2002

I had to get a new HD b/c my old one fried. So I bought
Windows XP to put on my comp as an upgrade. Well I get
Windows installed and it comes down to installing my
video card. I say no to update and go DL the newest
driver from the website. I install the driver and
reboot. Computer comes on to the loading microsfot
windows xp home screen and then goes black. Cant do
anything my screen just turns off. Only way i can get
back on my computer is to go into safe mode and un
install the driver. I have also tried both the newest
driver and the driver that came with my video card.
Please help.

Mick wrote:
> I had to get a new HD b/c my old one fried. So I bought
> Windows XP to put on my comp as an upgrade. Well I get
> Windows installed and it comes down to installing my
> video card. I say no to update and go DL the newest
> driver from the website. I install the driver and
> reboot. Computer comes on to the loading microsfot
> windows xp home screen and then goes black. Cant do
> anything my screen just turns off. Only way i can get
> back on my computer is to go into safe mode and un
> install the driver. I have also tried both the newest
> driver and the driver that came with my video card.
> Please help.

Hi Mick

try this:

write down the name of the directory your graphics drivers unzipped into
(usually C:\nvidia 56.72 or similar). Goto Control Panel -> System ->
Hardware, expand the Graphics cards section, select your card and right
click, select Uninstall. confirm all following message boxes with ok / yes.
after re-start, Windows recognizes the new hardware. Do NOT use the
automatic installation.
Click on I will choose the driver to install, click browse and select
the driver directory.
When a messagebox pops up that says that the drivers did not pass
windows logo testing, just click on continue anyway

your graphics card should be working after another re-boot.

hope this works for you.

Papparotti