DVD-ROM changer for PCs? (scsi?)

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows any company making a DVD-ROM (data
DVD-reader) changer for PC.

So far I found none. And I can't believe that you can get a 5-disc
"carrousel" type DVD player to hook up to a TV, but nobody can adapt
the same mechanism and create a device that can be hooked to a PC.

I know that 5 x 4.7 GB = 23.5 GB which might sound like not a big
deal, but the ability to put the 5 most-frequently accessed dvd-r
discs in there and forgetting about it (like the Nakamichi MBR-7 did
for CDs and CD-R media) would be great, and less expensive than buying
five cd-rom readers, I guess (I have seen 5-disc carrousel-type dvd
players for less than $150).

Also, the nakamichi MBR7 was great because, being SCSI, it set up each
CD as a different "LUN" on the same scsi device ID, so you got all
seven drive letters, each for each CD inserted.

If it was done for cds, why can't it be done for DVDs and DVD-R media?

This one for instance comes very close to what I want, but apparently
is a stand-alone device with fiber output for connection to high-end
audio/video systems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39747&item=5716723116&rd=1

(and the price is definitely NOT affordable)

Just wondering. Perhaps such devices exist and I've been looking in
the wrong places.

Regards
Fernando

Fernando Cassia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone knows any company making a DVD-ROM (data
> DVD-reader) changer for PC.
>
> So far I found none. And I can't believe that you can get a 5-disc
> "carrousel" type DVD player to hook up to a TV, but nobody can adapt
> the same mechanism and create a device that can be hooked to a PC.
>
> I know that 5 x 4.7 GB = 23.5 GB which might sound like not a big
> deal, but the ability to put the 5 most-frequently accessed dvd-r
> discs in there and forgetting about it (like the Nakamichi MBR-7 did
> for CDs and CD-R media) would be great, and less expensive than buying
> five cd-rom readers, I guess (I have seen 5-disc carrousel-type dvd
> players for less than $150).
>
> Also, the nakamichi MBR7 was great because, being SCSI, it set up each
> CD as a different "LUN" on the same scsi device ID, so you got all
> seven drive letters, each for each CD inserted.
>
> If it was done for cds, why can't it be done for DVDs and DVD-R media?
>
> This one for instance comes very close to what I want, but apparently
> is a stand-alone device with fiber output for connection to high-end
> audio/video systems:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39747&item=5716723116&rd=1

> (and the price is definitely NOT affordable)
>
> Just wondering. Perhaps such devices exist and I've been looking in
> the wrong places.

You can get five DVD readers for 120 bucks.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Fernando Cassia wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I wonder if anyone knows any company making a DVD-ROM (data
> > DVD-reader) changer for PC.
> >
> > So far I found none. And I can't believe that you can get a 5-disc
> > "carrousel" type DVD player to hook up to a TV, but nobody can adapt
> > the same mechanism and create a device that can be hooked to a PC.
> >
> > I know that 5 x 4.7 GB = 23.5 GB which might sound like not a big
> > deal, but the ability to put the 5 most-frequently accessed dvd-r
> > discs in there and forgetting about it (like the Nakamichi MBR-7 did
> > for CDs and CD-R media) would be great, and less expensive than buying
> > five cd-rom readers, I guess (I have seen 5-disc carrousel-type dvd
> > players for less than $150).
> >
> > Also, the nakamichi MBR7 was great because, being SCSI, it set up each
> > CD as a different "LUN" on the same scsi device ID, so you got all
> > seven drive letters, each for each CD inserted.
> >
> > If it was done for cds, why can't it be done for DVDs and DVD-R media?
> >
> > This one for instance comes very close to what I want, but apparently
> > is a stand-alone device with fiber output for connection to high-end
> > audio/video systems:
> >

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39747&item=5716723116&rd=1
> >
> > (and the price is definitely NOT affordable)
> >
> > Just wondering. Perhaps such devices exist and I've been looking in
> > the wrong places.
>
> You can get five DVD readers for 120 bucks.
> >
> > Regards
> > Fernando
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Hello, John:

You've ignored Fernando's real question, alas. Or, are you tacitly
suggesting that he stuff these "five DVD readers" (internal ones,
presumably) into a case and then, attempt to cobble together his own
DVD-ROM 5-disc "changer?"

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>