Help: List of Fastest Hard Drives

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
20 answers Last reply
More about help list fastest hard drives
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    www.storagereview.com is a good resource. It might not have
    exactly what you want though.

    Darren Harris wrote:

    > Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    > hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    > such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    > should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    On 30 Aug 2004 15:45:32 -0700, Searcher7@mail.con2.com (Darren Harris)
    wrote:

    >Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    >hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    >such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    >should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    >Thanks a lot.
    >
    >Darren Harris
    >Staten Island, New York.

    www.storagereview.com have a database of drives they have tested

    Regards

    Andy Lee

    --

    It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
    fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.

    "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    > hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    > such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    > should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
    as
    > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.

    Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
    ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
    Fujitsu MAS3735.

    U320 is the speed of the interface and NOT the HD so pay little attention to
    that spec.

    > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    > > hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    > > such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    > > should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    > >
    > > Thanks a lot.
    > >
    > > Darren Harris
    > > Staten Island, New York.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message news:kkSYc.279082$OB3.204190@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
    > as
    > > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    >
    > Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
    > ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
    > Fujitsu MAS3735.

    are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    the mas3735 is only 10k

    probably haven't a clue about anything scsi
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    Locutus wrote:

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    >> > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
    >> > essentailly
    >> as
    >> > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    >>
    >> Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
    >> ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
    >> Fujitsu MAS3735.
    >

    > are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    > the mas3735 is only 10k
    >
    > probably haven't a clue about anything scsi

    That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
    MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
    <http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/ehdd/mas3-catalog.html>.
    Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
    happy to be enlightened.

    Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
    number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
    "735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
    the number that denote the performance.

    Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
    > MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
    > <http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/ehdd/mas3-catalog.html>.
    > Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
    > happy to be enlightened.
    >
    > Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
    > number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
    > "735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
    > the number that denote the performance.
    >
    > Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    well now we seem to have wrong specs somewhere
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-116-129&depa=0

    this link says 10025rpm
    and the links from here also take me to fujitsu site and they say 10k also
    something is wrong

    now if i was wrong originally
    ill have BBQ sauce

    seemns i was wrong
    i was reading wrong
    these drives i was looking at are MAP not MAS
    my bad sorry
    seesm like i need to eat 2 feet now

    > That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
    > MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
    > <http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/ehdd/mas3-catalog.html>.
    > Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
    > happy to be enlightened.
    >
    > Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
    > number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
    > "735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
    > the number that denote the performance.
    >
    > Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?

    well now we seem to have wrong specs somewhere
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-116-129&depa=0

    this link says 10025rpm
    and the links from here also take me to fujitsu site and they say 10k also
    something is wrong

    now if i was wrong originally
    ill have BBQ sauce

    seems I was wrong
    I was reading wrong
    these drives I was looking at are MAP not MAS
    my bad sorry
    seems like I need to eat 2 feet now

    Locutus wrote:

    > seems I was wrong
    > I was reading wrong
    > these drives I was looking at are MAP not MAS
    > my bad sorry
    > seems like I need to eat 2 feet now

    At least you can laugh about it. A lot of folks would get mad.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    "Locutus" <Drone@Uni-MatrixOne.DeltaQuadrent> wrote in message

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
    > > > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
    essentailly
    > > as
    > > > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    > >
    > > Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
    > > ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
    > > Fujitsu MAS3735.
    >

    > are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    > the mas3735 is only 10k

    Guess again bozo:
    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/mas-15k-rpm/specifications.html

    > probably haven't a clue about anything scsi

    So this NG's troll has outed himself.
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    > > probably haven't a clue about anything scsi
    >
    > So this NG's troll has outed himself.

    you outed your self??
    congrats

  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    DaveW wrote:
    > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
    > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    >

    > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    >>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    >>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    >>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    >>
    >>Thanks a lot.
    >>
    >>Darren Harris
    >>Staten Island, New York.

    OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
    what you seek.

    I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
    multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!), and dump data at the rate of
    80 mb/s. The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
    board), when you buy salvaged goods.

    And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
    without failure.

    You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

    But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    patrick wrote:

    > DaveW wrote:
    >> The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
    >> as
    >> fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    >>

    >> "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    >>>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    >>>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    >>>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks a lot.
    >>>
    >>>Darren Harris
    >>>Staten Island, New York.
    >>

    > OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
    > what you seek.
    >
    > I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
    > multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!),

    In a RAID perhaps but individual Cheetahs use one head at a time, just like
    IDE drives.

    > and dump data at the rate of
    > 80 mb/s. The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
    > board), when you buy salvaged goods.
    >
    > And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
    > without failure.

    I'd like to see a source for that.

    > You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

    I must be really lucky then.

    > But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

    What does this have to do with anything?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    "patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
    > DaveW wrote:
    > > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
    essentailly as
    > > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    > >

    > > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    > >>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    > >>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    > >>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks a lot.
    > >>
    > >>Darren Harris
    > >>Staten Island, New York.
    > >

    > OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
    > what you seek.

    No, ATA works on all channels simultaneously.

    > I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
    > multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!), and dump data at the rate of
    > 80 mb/s.

    NO, 30-50MB/sec. for older Cheetahs.

    > The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
    > board), when you buy salvaged goods.

    But such Cheetahs aren't as fast as an SATA Raptor on a workstation.

    > And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
    > without failure.
    >
    > You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

    Utter nonsense.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    "Rod Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

    >So this NG's troll has outed himself.

    You outed yourself a long time ago, Rod^Hn, so this is hardly
    newsworthy.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    "patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:rzuZc.8242$uN5.3917@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
    > DaveW wrote:
    > > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
    > > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
    > >

    > > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:9437a27c.0408301445.1b46ec74@posting.google.com...
    > >
    > >> Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
    > >> hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
    > >> such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
    > >> should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks a lot.
    > >>
    > >> Darren Harris
    > >> Staten Island, New York.
    > >

    > OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
    > what you seek.
    >
    > I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers.

    > They multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!),

    Big deal. So does ATA on sequential access. So does ATA on one
    read and one write or both writes, whether sequential or random.

    > and dump data at the rate of 80 mb/s.

    Obviously clueless.

    > The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
    > board), when you buy salvaged goods.
    >
    > And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
    > without failure.
    >
    > You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!
    >
    > But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    Thanks.

    It seems that SCSI is on the verge of becoming obsolete. And that it
    main advantage is if you need multiple drives in a single system.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

    Another idiotic statement from New Troll on the Block.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > It seems that SCSI is on the verge of becoming obsolete. And that it
    > main advantage is if you need multiple drives in a single system.
    >
    > Darren Harris
    > Staten Island, New York.

Hardware Hard Drives Homebuilt Storage