Help: List of Fastest Hard Drives

Last response: in Storage
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
August 30, 2004 7:45:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
August 30, 2004 10:53:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

www.storagereview.com is a good resource. It might not have
exactly what you want though.

Darren Harris wrote:

> Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
> hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
> such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
> should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
August 31, 2004 2:55:44 AM

On 30 Aug 2004 15:45:32 -0700, Searcher7@mail.con2.com (Darren Harris)
wrote:

>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

www.storagereview.com have a database of drives they have tested

Regards

Andy Lee

--

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
a b B Homebuilt system

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.

"Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
> hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
> such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
> should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
August 31, 2004 7:33:36 AM

> The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
as
> fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.

Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
Fujitsu MAS3735.

U320 is the speed of the interface and NOT the HD so pay little attention to
that spec.

> "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
> > hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
> > such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
> > should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Darren Harris
> > Staten Island, New York.

August 31, 2004 11:35:03 AM

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message news:kkSYc.279082$OB3.204190@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
> as
> > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
>
> Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
> ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
> Fujitsu MAS3735.

are you sure you know what you are talking about?
the mas3735 is only 10k

probably haven't a clue about anything scsi
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
August 31, 2004 1:43:14 PM

Locutus wrote:

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
>> > essentailly
>> as
>> > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
>>
>> Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
>> ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
>> Fujitsu MAS3735.
>

> are you sure you know what you are talking about?
> the mas3735 is only 10k
>
> probably haven't a clue about anything scsi

That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
<http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/e...;.
Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
happy to be enlightened.

Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
"735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
the number that denote the performance.

Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
> MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
> <http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/e...;.
> Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
> happy to be enlightened.
>
> Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
> number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
> "735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
> the number that denote the performance.
>
> Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

well now we seem to have wrong specs somewhere
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

this link says 10025rpm
and the links from here also take me to fujitsu site and they say 10k also
something is wrong

now if i was wrong originally
ill have BBQ sauce
August 31, 2004 4:47:58 PM

seemns i was wrong
i was reading wrong
these drives i was looking at are MAP not MAS
my bad sorry
seesm like i need to eat 2 feet now
September 1, 2004 12:07:46 AM

> That's odd, Fujitsu seems to be laboring under the misconception tha the
> MAS3735 is a 15,000 RPM 73.5 GB drive
> <http://www.fujitsu.com/services/computing/storage/hdd/e...;.
> Perhaps you should inform them of their error, I'm sure that they will be
> happy to be enlightened.
>
> Someone with a "clue about SCSI" would know that with Fujitsu drives, the
> number has no relation to the speed--the "3" denotes a 3.5" drive while the
> "735" denotes a 73.5 GB drive. It's the two letters between the "M" and
> the number that denote the performance.
>
> Now, would you prefer catsup or barbecue sauce for that foot?

well now we seem to have wrong specs somewhere
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

this link says 10025rpm
and the links from here also take me to fujitsu site and they say 10k also
something is wrong

now if i was wrong originally
ill have BBQ sauce
September 1, 2004 12:08:28 AM

seems I was wrong
I was reading wrong
these drives I was looking at are MAP not MAS
my bad sorry
seems like I need to eat 2 feet now
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 1, 2004 1:22:47 AM

Locutus wrote:

> seems I was wrong
> I was reading wrong
> these drives I was looking at are MAP not MAS
> my bad sorry
> seems like I need to eat 2 feet now

At least you can laugh about it. A lot of folks would get mad.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 1, 2004 4:37:20 AM

"Locutus" <Drone@Uni-MatrixOne.DeltaQuadrent> wrote in message

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> > > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
essentailly
> > as
> > > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
> >
> > Yes, that's true for ATA HDs. BUT if you are willing to pay 3x for
> > ultimate performance(20%) then 15K RPM SCSI HDs can't be beat. Get the
> > Fujitsu MAS3735.
>

> are you sure you know what you are talking about?
> the mas3735 is only 10k

Guess again bozo:
http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/mas-15...

> probably haven't a clue about anything scsi

So this NG's troll has outed himself.
September 1, 2004 4:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

> > probably haven't a clue about anything scsi
>
> So this NG's troll has outed himself.

you outed your self??
congrats

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 2, 2004 5:20:23 AM

DaveW wrote:
> The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
> fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
>

> "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
>
>>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
>>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
>>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
>>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>Thanks a lot.
>>
>>Darren Harris
>>Staten Island, New York.

OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
what you seek.

I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!), and dump data at the rate of
80 mb/s. The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
board), when you buy salvaged goods.

And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
without failure.

You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 2, 2004 5:20:24 AM

patrick wrote:

> DaveW wrote:
>> The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly
>> as
>> fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
>>

>> "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
>>>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
>>>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
>>>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
>>>
>>>Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>>Darren Harris
>>>Staten Island, New York.
>>

> OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
> what you seek.
>
> I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
> multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!),

In a RAID perhaps but individual Cheetahs use one head at a time, just like
IDE drives.

> and dump data at the rate of
> 80 mb/s. The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
> board), when you buy salvaged goods.
>
> And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
> without failure.

I'd like to see a source for that.

> You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

I must be really lucky then.

> But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

What does this have to do with anything?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 2, 2004 8:41:21 AM

"patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
> DaveW wrote:
> > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are
essentailly as
> > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
> >

> > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
> >>hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
> >>such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
> >>should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
> >>
> >>Thanks a lot.
> >>
> >>Darren Harris
> >>Staten Island, New York.
> >

> OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
> what you seek.

No, ATA works on all channels simultaneously.

> I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers. They
> multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!), and dump data at the rate of
> 80 mb/s.

NO, 30-50MB/sec. for older Cheetahs.

> The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
> board), when you buy salvaged goods.

But such Cheetahs aren't as fast as an SATA Raptor on a workstation.

> And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
> without failure.
>
> You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!

Utter nonsense.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 2, 2004 12:17:55 PM

"Rod Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote:

>So this NG's troll has outed himself.

You outed yourself a long time ago, Rod^Hn, so this is hardly
newsworthy.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 3, 2004 12:11:10 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

"patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message news:rzuZc.8242$uN5.3917@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> DaveW wrote:
> > The latest Western Digital 36GB and 74 GB SATA harddrives are essentailly as
> > fast as SCSI for a lot less money. This is per www.tomshardware.com.
> >

> > "Darren Harris" <Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message news:9437a27c.0408301445.1b46ec74@posting.google.com...
> >
> >> Can anyone tell if there is a site that has a comprehensive list of
> >> hard drives that I can use for determining the fastest ones? I guess
> >> such a list would be always changing, and I assume that U320 is what I
> >> should be looking for, but correct me if I am wrong.
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot.
> >>
> >> Darren Harris
> >> Staten Island, New York.
> >

> OK, if pure speed in serial data access on one channel at a time, is
> what you seek.
>
> I run many surplus Cheetah 10k Seagate drives, on many computers.

> They multi-read, multi-write, (con-currently!),

Big deal. So does ATA on sequential access. So does ATA on one
read and one write or both writes, whether sequential or random.

> and dump data at the rate of 80 mb/s.

Obviously clueless.

> The cost is only $1.50 per Gb of storage (including the PCi
> board), when you buy salvaged goods.
>
> And, the SCSI stuff is rated for something like 7-10 years of usage
> without failure.
>
> You will be lucky to get two years out of an ATA drive!
>
> But, then, I also run FREE, Open Source, OSes. Get yours:
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 3, 2004 4:46:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

Thanks.

It seems that SCSI is on the verge of becoming obsolete. And that it
main advantage is if you need multiple drives in a single system.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b G Storage
September 3, 2004 5:13:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.periphs.scsi (More info?)

Another idiotic statement from New Troll on the Block.

!