GeForce FX 5200 card not recognized after upgrade to WinXP..

May 26, 2004 6:01:03 PM

I recently upgraded from Windows XP Home to WinXP Professional. After installation the system will not recognize that I have the video card installed. It still displays thru the monitor but does not show the card in device manager or when I attempt to "Add new Hardware." Can anyone assist me with this problem please? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:10:10 AM

Have you tried to go to the video controller's mfr website and DL/install
the latest drivers for that card?

Give this a try first and if it doesn't work, let us know with a reply to
this same message explaining what you did and what transpired.

--

Regards,
Len Segal, MCP

"Andy H." <mental_scars420@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I recently upgraded from Windows XP Home to WinXP Professional. After
installation the system will not recognize that I have the video card
installed. It still displays thru the monitor but does not show the card in
device manager or when I attempt to "Add new Hardware." Can anyone assist
me with this problem please? Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 2:26:04 PM

The problem seems to be more complex than I originally thought. The system won't even recognize that the card is in the AGP slot on the motherboard. I have all the upgraded drivers and tried installing the originals with mfr disk to no avail. I've tried going into Device Manager and viewing non-PnP devices and it shows the agp bus slot but not the card. The card worked perfectly before the upgrade to winXP pro but now isn't recognized. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
May 27, 2004 2:36:01 PM

My appologies for double post.
Another thing that confuses me on this issue is when the card is in the agp slot the standard video port will not function if I plug the monitor into it. When I have monitor installed thru the card I get proper display on the screen. When booting up it also shows the card as installed but is not listed in control panel>system>device manager>display adapters or control panel>system>device manager>non-plug-n-play adapters. When I right-click desktop and go to properties>advanced it shows no options for card like it used to and none of the 3D based games that I play will function.

Again I'm sorry for double post but I thought the additional information may help diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance for any assistance in this matter.
Anonymous
May 27, 2004 9:41:08 PM

Another problem found.....the VIA CPU to AGP controller said no driver was installed. I downloaded the file and set it up but it still doesn't recognize the slot. Any help?
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 2:23:59 AM

Is the BIOS set to choose the AGP first? If not set it that way.

Boot into Safe Mode. Go to Device Manager and delete the items that show up
incorrectly (or without drivers). Try rebooting Normally and see if it
rebuilds the items correctly.

Go to Windows Update and see if it recommends newer drivers for your video
controller and/or a newer VIA 4-in-1 driver set. Failing that, go to your
mobo's mfr website (or system if it is a branded system) and DL/install the
latest VIA drivers and BIOS for your machine.

--

Regards,
Len Segal, MCP

"Andy H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Another problem found.....the VIA CPU to AGP controller said no driver was
installed. I downloaded the file and set it up but it still doesn't
recognize the slot. Any help?
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:16:10 PM

In an attempt to reinstall windows xp pro it seems it might be the software itself that is the problem. After 4 tries now it halts in the same spot during ->Installing Devices in the setup process at about 75% with the following error:

unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL.

I've attempted to retart the setup from scratch and receive the same error every time. Is the MSDART.DLL file it is accessing on the CD itself or the hard drive? If it is on the hard drive I can use my laptop, which is how I'm accessing the newsgroup at the moment, to download the file and replace the corrupted one.

Thanks in advance for any assitance in this matter.
!