silent majority please speak out against steam

Last response: in Video Games
March 29, 2005 2:16:51 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

silent majority please speak out against steam

this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
steam

the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it

i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
group

yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
i'm only asking for ten
i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
ten to speak out

if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
games in this group in the last 4 months!
it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?

i'm not asking much!
i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
majority to speak out against steam and against valve
please join me and Jim Vieira!
please defend pc games!
fight against steam!
fight against valve!
show this group we are all together and united against steam!
only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!

i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

--
to check this post authenticity please read the thread "check for post
authenticity" in this group and if you have any doubt please email me

this post is copyright of myself and cannot be used in any way without
my express permission with the only exception for being used to quote
part of my post in a direct follow-up, without any change in original
text

post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421...
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:16:52 PM

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
> silent majority please speak out against steam
[SNIP]
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for
against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of
pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does
it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been
doing?

> i'm not asking much!
[SNIP]
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

Can you feel the tension?

OK, I've responded to this thread, but I'll let you decide, SayNO. I'm
not the silent majority you wanted, but I have written about aspects of
Steam that I think are not good and should be changed. Some people
might even say I have criticised the way Steam works. But I have also
been branded "retarded consolist scum" and a "repulsive and disgusting
pro-Steamer".

So where do you place me now? Do you count this post as support?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority please speak out against steam
[snip]

Sounds like you might like this avatar then....

http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> My ass it's a bug!
> It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

I have just set my HL2SP game to "Do not update..."
Let's see

> Slow updates thru steam is another problem.

Talk with your ISP
Updates working slick and pretty fast at this house

- Peter
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:20:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:

> silent majority please speak out against steam

If they are silent how do they speak?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:43:56 PM

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> silent majority please speak out against steam

You know... The "silent majority" as you call them probably doesn't give a
rat's ass one way or the other when it comes to Steam, and are happy to
simply play a good game because it's... well... good. So I seriously
doubt that you'll get your desired 10 responses supporting you. Too many
people on this group think you're a laughingstock. Others simply think
you're entertaining and good for a few laughs.

I roll my eyes whenever I read your posts.

Now... Having said that... If you're serious about your "fight against
Steam" then you need to take it to the next level. You're wasting your time
making your posts here. No-one's listening. Nobody cares. You need to get
your campaign off USENET and into the real world. Start writing one or two
letters a week to Valve. Real letters, not email since they're harder to
delete and ignore. Make the developers know how displeased you are. Stand
firm in your resolve. If they don't respond, if you don't get any letters
back, write more. Write a lot. You'll eventually get their attention.

Please. If you're serious about this, stop posting on newsgroups. You'll
never be heard this way.
March 29, 2005 3:57:55 PM

Chadwick wrote:

> So where do you place me now? Do you count this post as support?

I hope not

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> silent majority please speak out against steam
>
> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
> steam
>
> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
> group
>
> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
> i'm only asking for ten
> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
> ten to speak out
>
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
> i'm not asking much!
> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
> please join me and Jim Vieira!
> please defend pc games!
> fight against steam!
> fight against valve!
> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

does it count if you change your name again and post under that alias?

THIS POST IS NOT IN SUPPORT OF YOU
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 6:25:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

Its very easy really...

If you dont like what they are doing, then dont be their customer.
Most games comes with an EULA, you need to click accept after reading it,
when you do click that accept. You agree on the terms. If you dont agree on
the terms, click no and put it in the trash.

Im no fan of Valve, or their games, but I know as much as you chose yourself
whether or not you become their customer.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:46:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority please speak out against steam
>
>this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority

I'd say a minority of one except the word dominated implies control.

>this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

Those evil brains down at Valve, forcing sayNO to be a pirate. I
don't know how we can stand the inhumainity of it all.

>i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
>ten to speak out

LOL. At least a million? Even with a thousand lurkers for every
poster there aren't a million people reading your nonsense.

>if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
>steam fight i'll go away for good from this group

Which group, you're posting to half a dozen here. If you mean all
of them, I'm all for it.

>it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!

Talk about delusions of grandeur.

>just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
>except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?

It's the same one you did before, as I recall not one single person
asked you to post such an inaccurate analysis and no one thanked you
either.

>only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

And here it comes, if he doesn't get his 10 I'm willing to bet that
one of two different things will happen
a) He claims this post was someone pretending to be him
b) He just waits for it to expire and comes back anyway

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:13:23 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic sayNO2steam [authentic] <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> silent majority please speak out against steam

Really? I hadn't noticed. They were probably drowned out by the
excessively vocal minority unceasingly speaking out against steam.

mcv.
March 29, 2005 10:27:44 PM

James Garvin wrote:
> sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
>
>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>

> If they are silent how do they speak?

"mmmmmmp mmmnph mmmmpnph"

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:27:45 PM

Shawk wrote:

> James Garvin wrote:
>
>> sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:
>>
>>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>> If they are silent how do they speak?
> "mmmmmmp mmmnph mmmmpnph"

ROTFLMAO
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:21:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.

Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
per month and you can't afford it.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
March 29, 2005 11:58:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

You can count me in.

I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.

Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.

It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.

It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
support steam! Almost unbelievable!

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority please speak out against steam
>
>this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
>this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
>i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
>greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
>steam
>
>the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
>know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
>i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
>months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
>group
>
>yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
>for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
>the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
>i'm only asking for ten
>i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
>ten to speak out
>
>if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
>steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
>so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
>games in this group in the last 4 months!
>it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
>just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
>except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
>i'm not asking much!
>i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
>majority to speak out against steam and against valve
>please join me and Jim Vieira!
>please defend pc games!
>fight against steam!
>fight against valve!
>show this group we are all together and united against steam!
>only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

To e-mail, remove the obvious
March 29, 2005 11:58:04 PM

AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
> You can count me in.
>
> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>
> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>
> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>
> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
> support steam! Almost unbelievable!

....and what have you done about it? Have you tried the forums at
Steampowered.com or submitted a bug report? Have you blocked it in your
firewall?

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:13:35 AM

Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>
> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>
> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
> per month and you can't afford it.

you noticed too then I posted above about that, unintentionally though i
pressed cancel.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:39:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 29 Mar 2005 20:13:35 GMT, Stoned Monkey
<tenny2k@NOSPAMrtennant.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
>> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>>
>> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
>> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>>
>> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
>> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
>> per month and you can't afford it.
>>

>you noticed too then I posted above about that, unintentionally though i
>pressed cancel.

It's pretty bad that he claims to support pc gaming but can't affort
10 Euro a year for a news provider.

Not that he needs one, plenty of people manage to post through
Google. But he's mentioned before that free things are too expensive
for him. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 3:13:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

And, what if the "Silent Majority" happens to be *FOR* Steam?

"AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in
message news:ejfi41pcb554p0mqsa9mf7uo0q6igmc963@4ax.com
> You can count me in.
>
> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>
> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>
> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>
> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
> support steam! Almost unbelievable!
>

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> silent majority please speak out against steam
>>
>> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
>> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>>
>> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
>> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
>> steam
>>
>> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
>> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>>
>> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
>> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
>> group
>>
>> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
>> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
>> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
>> i'm only asking for ten
>> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few
>> as ten to speak out
>>
>> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for
>> against steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
>> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of
>> pc games in this group in the last 4 months!
>> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
>> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does
>> it except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been
>> doing?
>>
>> i'm not asking much!
>> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
>> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
>> please join me and Jim Vieira!
>> please defend pc games!
>> fight against steam!
>> fight against valve!
>> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
>> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>>
>> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>

> To e-mail, remove the obvious
March 30, 2005 3:45:10 AM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:20:18 +0100, Shawk <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses>
wrote:

>AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>> You can count me in.
>>
>> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.
>>
>> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
>> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>>
>> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
>> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.
>>
>> It's too simply too disgusting to know that are people who actually
>> support steam! Almost unbelievable!
>>

>...and what have you done about it? Have you tried the forums at
>Steampowered.com or submitted a bug report? Have you blocked it in your
>firewall?

Blocking with your firewall is not a final or ultimate solution. Plus
the man on the street does not have or know anything about fwalls.
It's not their fault.

My ass it's a bug!
It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

Privacy is not the only issue.
We cannot play our games when we want to!
Slow updates thru steam is another problem.
As I'm typing this post, my CS:source is stuck @ 99%.
Been stuck there for the last 4 hrs!
I can see that there is network activity.
It's just taking a god damn long time to update.

My posts on steam powered will probably end up being deleted.
I'm more comfortable posting on usenet which is not 'steam' or valve
controlled.

To e-mail, remove the obvious
March 30, 2005 3:45:11 AM

AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:

> Blocking with your firewall is not a final or ultimate solution. Plus
> the man on the street does not have or know anything about fwalls.
> It's not their fault.

No - it's just a workaround - just trying to help you. Do you have a
firewall? Which one? Do you know how to block applications? If not
post here and someone will help.

> My ass it's a bug!
> It's a 'feature' included into steam by valve.

You may be right - may be wrong - I've no idea

> Privacy is not the only issue.
> We cannot play our games when we want to!

When updated block it with your firewall.

> Slow updates thru steam is another problem.
> As I'm typing this post, my CS:source is stuck @ 99%.
> Been stuck there for the last 4 hrs!

Delete the clientregistry.blob - this sounds like a corrupted d-load -
it happens. You'll find it works pretty quick after that - the latest
patches were quite small

> I can see that there is network activity.
> It's just taking a god damn long time to update.

Delete the above file from your game folder.

> My posts on steam powered will probably end up being deleted.
> I'm more comfortable posting on usenet which is not 'steam' or valve
> controlled.

OK but understand that you'll only get 'users' trying to help you - not
Valve.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:45:42 AM

Johnny Bravo wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
> <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies
>
> Then we expect your final message sometime on 1 April 2005 when you
> annouce that you're leaving and not coming back.
>
> Or you could just tell the truth now, that at midnight on 31 March
> 2005 your news provider will start charging you .84 Euro ($1.09 US)
> per month and you can't afford it.

Ah... That explains it then. He did say something about having to
"invest" if he is to continue the Good Fight.

I say, save your cash, SayNO. Take your fight to the Steam forums or
even to Valve.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:58:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> silent majority please speak out against steam
>
> this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority
> this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
> valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market
>
> i know for sure only a very small insignificant minority defends the
> greedy arrogant monopolistic dictator called valve and his infecting
> steam
>
> the majority of pc gamers in this group are totally against steam and
> know the only way to protect pc games is to fight it
>
> i've been attacked by this minority since the beginning, since four
> months ago when valve launched steam and i began fighting it in this
> group
>
> yesterday i had the support from Jim Vieira and i thank him very much
> for doing so... today i'm only asking for 10 more others like him do
> the same and show how much you are against steam and valve
> i'm only asking for ten
> i know there are at least a million more but i'm only asking as few as
> ten to speak out
>
> if i don't receive 10 follow-ups to this post with support for against
> steam fight i'll go away for good from this group
> so please don't let me go away cause i've been the best defender of pc
> games in this group in the last 4 months!
> it will be the usenet and pc games which will loose if i go away!
> just look at the post i did today about costs in steam, no one does it
> except me, if i go who will continue all the analyses i've been doing?
>
> i'm not asking much!
> i'm only asking for ten, let me repeat ten pc gamers from the silent
> majority to speak out against steam and against valve
> please join me and Jim Vieira!
> please defend pc games!
> fight against steam!
> fight against valve!
> show this group we are all together and united against steam!
> only 10 replies with a "yes" i'm asking! 10!
>
> i'll wait until thursday march 31 2005 for those 10 replies

You want 10 "pc gamers" from the silent majority to speak out against
Steam. Are these suppose to be "true" pc gamers? You know, ones that
use WinXP, don't own a video game console, and buy every new title released
regardless of quality.

I wonder, how many folks visit the above listed newsgroup on a daily basis?
1, 10, 100, 1000, 100000, ...?

BTW I'd hate to see you go. I'm tempted to change my handle and post 10
anti-Steam messages. But I'm a console scum, which rhymes with Rebel scum,
and need to go play some Resident Evil!
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:21:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hello sayNO2steam,
just thought I'd help you a little with the vote-count. As of 15:08 on
the 30th of March, you have had 2 supporting posts*.

* I'm counting Pregnant Chad wicks "you decide if I support you" post
as being in support of you.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:25:45 AM

mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hello sayNO2steam,
> just thought I'd help you a little with the vote-count. As of 15:08
on
> the 30th of March, you have had 2 supporting posts*.
>
> * I'm counting Pregnant Chad wicks "you decide if I support you" post
> as being in support of you.

I'm curious to know whether I am considered an enemy because I
appreciate why some people like consoles, or whetehr I am an ally
because I think there are some aspects of Steam that I would change.

BTW, not sure where the "Pregant" bit came from, but Google picked up
on it and all the ads down the side are for maternity stuff. I'm sure
there must be many other words in this thread that would trigger
adverts, so why that one?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:27:38 AM

Vince wrote:
> "AcCeSsDeNiEd" wrote
>
> > Ohh...that's a very easy way to trash the real problem here.
>
> > You might as well divorce your wife/future wife because you had a
fight
> > the previous night.
>
> Not a good analogy.
>
> But I do think that if someone bought HL2 and genuinely didn't know
about
> its online activation until they installed it - they should be
entitled to a
> full refund.

Which is why it should be clearly explained on the box.
This also opens up the can of worms which is the issues of returning
opened software and EULAs, and this probably isn't the place to go into
it. I think we should let this thread stay on topic - namely whether
SayNO should pay for his posting rights after the end of the month.

If anyone wants to discuss ways of returning opened software once the
EULA, copy protection, Steam etc become known, then start a new thread.
March 30, 2005 1:42:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [pathetic]" wrote
> silent majority please speak out against steam

When someone mentions the 'Silent Majority' they always mean the 'Vociferous
Minority'.

We have it in the UK with the Mediawatch group.
March 30, 2005 1:45:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"OldDog" wrote

> BTW I'd hate to see you go. I'm tempted to change my handle and post
> 10
> anti-Steam messages. But I'm a console scum, which rhymes with Rebel
> scum,
> and need to go play some Resident Evil!

You need to work on your poetry.

What about: "The boy stood on the burning deck...".
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 2:11:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:16:51 +0100, "sayNO2steam [authentic]"
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>silent majority

Please, please join them.

>this group has been oppressed and dominated by a very small minority

You cannot oppress and dominate on Usenet - it's hard to do on a
moderated newsgroup, much less an unmoderated one such as this.

>this very small minority has been supporting destructive monopolistic
>valve plans for domination of us pc gamers and of the pc game market

Or, perhaps, we're simply sick of your bitching and moaning.

I like to try to read these groups for their topical posts. Guess
what? You're no longer topical, you're an obsessed twit spamming
these groups with your wankage.

The sheer amount of time and effort you've devoted to this excercise
in electronic masturbation makes it clear that you're a little boy -
probably about 15 - expressing frustrations about something
essentially unimportant in a very, very annoying fashion.

Some tips:

Get out of your parent's house, even if only for a few hours.

Assuming you've hit puberty (a big assumption), go get laid.

Find a hobby that doesn't involve the computer. Hell, watch some
movies and listen to some music.

In short, get a life.

Because you're going to look back in ten years and be very embarassed.

--

Kurt Montandon
March 30, 2005 2:26:00 PM

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:25:22 +0200, "Erland Andreassen" <wsg@-nospam-lways.online.no> wrote:

>If you dont like what they are doing, then dont be their customer.
>Most games comes with an EULA, you need to click accept after reading it,
>when you do click that accept. You agree on the terms. If you dont agree on
>the terms, click no and put it in the trash.
>
>Im no fan of Valve, or their games, but I know as much as you chose yourself
>whether or not you become their customer.

To e-mail, remove the obvious
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:05:38 PM

"AcCeSsDeNiEd" <dillon@SpamMinuSaccessdenied.darktech.org> wrote in message

> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.

yes you have......so now you had you
little moaning session its time to brush
your teeth and say night, night to everyone!

--
DrC [aghl]
Anonymous

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> silent majority please speak out against steam

no.....you tit!

--
DrC [aghl]
March 30, 2005 5:16:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

sayNO2steam [authentic] wrote:

> if you ask me, my wish for that group would be dying like so many other
> newsgroups do in the usenet

....hmmm, I think it's going to take a little more than a jumped up, self
important, delusional, object of fun...

--
It's a bit of a jump isn't it? I mean, er, chartered accountancy to lion
taming in one go.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

<mike_noren2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote

> Hello sayNO2steam,
> just thought I'd help you a little with the vote-count. As of 15:08 on
> the 30th of March, you have had 2 supporting posts*.

> * I'm counting Pregnant Chad wicks "you decide if I support you" post
> as being in support of you.

Don't laugh.

That's two more that I'd get.
March 30, 2005 6:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"AcCeSsDeNiEd" wrote

> Ohh...that's a very easy way to trash the real problem here.

> You might as well divorce your wife/future wife because you had a fight
> the previous night.

Not a good analogy.

But I do think that if someone bought HL2 and genuinely didn't know about
its online activation until they installed it - they should be entitled to a
full refund.
March 30, 2005 6:28:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"sayNO2steam [authentic]" wrote

> AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:

>> You can count me in.

> thanks very much!

>> I've been constantly bombarding alt.games.half-life on steam.

> although the fight against steam must be also done there, i only cross
> post to that group and never do direct contributions cause i don't want
> to promote anything related to valve

Why do you also crosspost to the rpg and strategic groups. I dread to think
what they must think of your zany antics.

> if you ask me, my wish for that group would be dying like so many other
> newsgroups do in the usenet

Sorry but you're not yet important enough to kill off a newsgroup.

>> It seems to me that this minority posters you are talking about are
>> either valve employees or die-hard valve cult worshipers.

There's one group of people who are really pissed off: Gamers.

> i agree with you... its really like so sort of cult... they becoming
> brainwashed and stop having control over themselves
> a valve gamer is a follower, a loyal submissive servant

Even the most diehard Steam-supporter isn't obsessed with it. You are
however.

> if only we had 9 more like you, valve would be totally doomed

What is this 'Lord of the Rings'?

Pewrhaps if you had 9000 supporters, you could affect Valve's plans.

> i have a practical reason to question my stay in the newsgroups...
> to continue i must invest and i don't know if its worthy...

By "invest" I assume you mean pay for a decent ISP.

> one thing i guaranty no matter were and when i'll never accept steam and
> i'll never stop fighting it until its completely gone, you have my word!

It'll never be gone so good luck.

> this post is copyright of myself and cannot be used in any way without
> my express permission with the only exception for being used to quote
> part of my post in a direct follow-up, without any change in original
> text

I had intended to quote it in a book called "So you think you might be
neurotic".
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:23:36 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg Vince <vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "AcCeSsDeNiEd" wrote
>
>> Ohh...that's a very easy way to trash the real problem here.
>
>> You might as well divorce your wife/future wife because you had a fight
>> the previous night.
>
> Not a good analogy.

Here's a better one:

You might as well decide not to marry someone simply because you hate her
guts.

> But I do think that if someone bought HL2 and genuinely didn't know about
> its online activation until they installed it - they should be entitled to a
> full refund.

In some countries they are.

mcv.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 7:40:16 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg sayNO2steam [authentic] <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, AcCeSsDeNiEd wrote:
>
>> Recently, I found out that valve has been possibly intruding into our
>> privacy by forcing steam to send us updates.
>
> steam is the most damaging technology ever created

Nuclear bombs are nothing compared to steam!

mcv.
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:36:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:11:40 GMT, Kurt Montandon
<kurtmontandon@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>The sheer amount of time and effort you've devoted to this excercise
>in electronic masturbation makes it clear that you're a little boy -
>probably about 15 - expressing frustrations about something
>essentially unimportant in a very, very annoying fashion.

Or even more horrifying, he's 35 and doing this.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:18:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:45:18 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"OldDog" wrote
>
>> BTW I'd hate to see you go. I'm tempted to change my handle and post
>> 10
>> anti-Steam messages. But I'm a console scum, which rhymes with Rebel
>> scum,
>> and need to go play some Resident Evil!
>
>You need to work on your poetry.
>
>What about: "The boy stood on the burning deck...".

I wasn't attempting to write any poetry.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:36:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:45:18 GMT, "Vince"
<vmelia@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"OldDog" wrote
>
>> BTW I'd hate to see you go. I'm tempted to change my handle and post
>> 10
>> anti-Steam messages. But I'm a console scum, which rhymes with Rebel
>> scum,
>> and need to go play some Resident Evil!
>
>You need to work on your poetry.
>
>What about: "The boy stood on the burning deck...".

I wasn't attempting to write any poetry.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 2:59:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Apparently the overwhelming majority of posters
> on this group support Valve and Steam.
> I have no interest in debating them or getting
> into a war with them.

Well written articles with decents arguments (and without foul
language) has never started a flamewar in AGHL

Here take 50 points for being a decent chap
Welcome to AGHL

Cheers :-)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 6:34:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Ok, this is the only time that I am going to write on this subject. I have
watched this debate for months with no desire to get involved. I don't
believe that my voice, or the voices of a few others will have any effect on
Valve/Steam's market strategy. Apparently the overwhelming majority of
posters on this group support Valve and Steam. I have no interest in
debating them or getting into a war with them. They must have an internet
connection fast enough to take advantage of the things that Steam offers. I
am simply not in the same boat and have no real choice in the matter. I live
pretty far from the nearest town, therefore DSL, Cable, or Wireless internet
is not available in my area. Also the phone lines are pretty old so my dial
up connection runs at a steady 26.4 Kbps. I don't see Satellite internet as
a viable option due to expense, FAP, and lack of online gaming. This means
that for me, on a fresh install of HL2 the updates take about 12-15 hours.
Buying a game online would probably take about a week to download. This is
simply too long to tie up my connection. If Valve/Steam would just allow
stand alone downloads rather than only online installs it would help
greatly. I could download them on a computer in town and transfer them to my
computer at home.

I loved HL2 and am still downloading SP maps (in town) and working my
through them.

Since Valve/Steam has abandoned the unconnected, or connection challenged
users, my future dollars and I'm guessing a few other peoples dollars,
euros, yen, etc. will be going on game platforms that are a bit more
friendly to us.

Mox

> [...]
>
> --
> to check this post authenticity please read the thread "check for post
> authenticity" in this group and if you have any doubt please email me
> for further authenticity confirmation
>
> this post is copyright of myself and cannot be used in any way without
> my express permission with the only exception for being used to quote
> part of my post in a direct follow-up, without any change in original
> text
>
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> against steam campaign
> http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/
>
> steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
> http://www.steamwatch.org/
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
>
> what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
March 31, 2005 11:32:43 AM

peter.aghl@gmail.com wrote:
> Well written articles with decents arguments (and without foul
> language) has never started a flamewar in AGHL
>
> Here take 50 points for being a decent chap
> Welcome to AGHL

And here's 50 from me for the same reason.
I'm in the other boat, the one with the 1gb broadband connection
(although I only had 512k when I installed HL2 and it worked fine) but
I agree with what Mox says.

Valve has decided to focus on gamers with decent internet connections.
They obviously reckon there's enough of them out there who will buy
Valve's games. I'm guessing that Steam's restrictions on lending or
reselling the game go some way to offset the loss of non-broadband
customers (ie. more people will have to buy the game instead of
borrowing it from a pal), and the additional revenue from direct
(Steam)sales will also narrow that gap. Ultimately, Valve reckon
there's enough money in that market to make it worthwhile investing in
Steam and alienating some people.

At the end of the day, it's just a game to us, but it's Gabe Newell's
salary and reputation. He's got more to lose than any of us, so I
presume he's done his sums right.

>From Valve's point of view, they've already discounted anyone without
the necessary internet connection, so voting with your wallet and not
buying HL2 won't make much difference to them - it wasn't a vote they
expected to have anyway.

Valve might be persueded to make some changes if enough people tell
them that they would have bought the game but for Steam. Valve might
redo their sums and realise they can make more money by changing Steam
so that these other potential purchasers will buy into it next time
round.

That is why I understand SayNO trying to drum up support on this forum.
However, so far that support has been lukewarm. Even this last call to
arms has got only a couple of positive responses. It's tempted one
lurker (Mox) into the open, but he's asked not to get involved. So
maybe there isn't a silent majority after all?

But let's not prejudge the outcome of this thread. There's still 8
hours to go... And someone's already mentioned Florida 2000 and the
Chads, so don't hold your breath at midnight....
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:32:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Whether you're an enemy or an ally you'll have to ask sayNO2xanax, but
I'm guessing in his paranoid little universe there are no allies, only
undercover enemies.

The "pregnant chad" was indeed a joke about the election 2000. A
particular kind of ambiguous vote, where the voter had dimpled but not
perforated the voting slip, was called 'pregnant chad'. I thought it
was a fun(nish) pun... Didn't mean offence.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 12:46:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

OK, I'll count your vote as #3, although in my humble opinion I think
you may be confusing people who are against sayNO2steam with people who
are for Steam.
IMO nothing has done more to suppress criticism against steam in this
newsgroup than difools/sayNO2steams raving; this newsgroup was firmly
against until he started his crusade.
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:31:55 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, "Mox 13" wrote:

> watched this debate for months with no desire to get involved. I don't

but you should have! we can't be quiet about things that damage us!
we must speak out about all the damage steam is doing to pc games

> believe that my voice, or the voices of a few others will have any effect on

yes you are only one pc gamer amount millions in the world but if every
single pc gamer mobilize the total will be enough to stand up against
valve and defend our rights

> posters on this group support Valve and Steam. I have no interest in

i don't agree and please don't be fooled by a few posters
the overwhelming majority is against steam! that's for sure!
only a very small insignificant but very fanatical group of gamers are in
favour of steam

> debating them or getting into a war with them. They must have an internet

this is not a debate about getting into war, cause war has already began!
this group has been in a civil war since november 2004 with gamers fighting
against other gamers and there is no turning back... war is happening now!

> connection fast enough to take advantage of the things that Steam offers. I

steam is not only about fast connections, its much more its about freedom its
about dignity, its about consumer rights
even if i had the fastest internet connection in the world i would still say
NO to steam and valve

> stand alone downloads rather than only online installs it would help

they will never do that cause what valve wants is power!
they don't give a damn about us
valve wants is control!
this is all about the paradigm shift valve is trying to force in pc games,
making then services! and making us enslaved!

> I loved HL2 and am still downloading SP maps (in town) and working my

its sad knowing you gave up, knowing you accepted steam, knowing you gave
valve money for their monopolistic and destructive plan

i will never ever play half-life 2 unless valve takes steam from it!
i will never ever accept steam!
i will never ever give money to valve unless they take away steam!

> users, my future dollars and I'm guessing a few other peoples dollars,

at least you will not accept any more steam based games... and that's good
please never stop defending your own rights as a consumer
we pc gamers are consumers and we have rights and we must defend them!
and your contribution is very important
if we all you and me and every other pc gamer join forces against valve,
we will win!

i will keep my word and do what i promised in this thread
yes i have a problem with tomorrow my news server cutting me access to the
usenet but i would like to continue reading this group to be informed but
the kind of posting i've been making since late last year that i will stop
i didn't have the support i asked so its not worth doing it more in this
group... in a way i'm sad, but i'm convinced it only happened cause this
group is being dominated by a very small fanatical valve cult group of pc
gamers those with a distorted and elitist view about pc games

but the real fight will not be done in here...
the real fight has been happening out there were true pc gamers buy and
play and install and patch pc games... there you will see me fighting and
there i'm sure steam will die, and valve will fail and be defeated

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

what steam does to pc gamers in a million word worth picture:
http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421...
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 3:40:56 PM

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, "Mox 13" wrote:
>
> only a very small insignificant but very fanatical group of gamers are in
> favour of steam

fanatical - hah!

Well, if anyone should recognize fanatacism.....
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 4:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> IMO nothing has done more to suppress criticism against steam in this

> newsgroup than difools/sayNO2steams raving; this newsgroup was firmly

> against until he started his crusade.

Yeahh this flaming of his/hers could turn the most antisteam persons
into prosteam
Hopefully this wacko will get bored and turn against something else

Here's an idea: Start a campaign against Bruce Willis and his "I will
save the world" ridicule in every one of his recent movies
Then sayNo2BW will be quite surden to do something really usefull for a
change
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:11:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

They should speak up.

!