(WC) - Canon-410 Sony-W1 Nikon-4200

x-no-archive: yes

i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
opinions... :)

btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.

just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from one
friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend that
the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from y'all.

any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!
6 answers Last reply
More about canon sony nikon 4200

    I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early June
    and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially the
    easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the 12
    meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to get
    a good feel of how it works.

    --jay

    "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
    > opinions... :)
    >
    > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
    >
    > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
    > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from
    one
    > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend
    that
    > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
    > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
    y'all.

    > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

    hola jay!

    and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't have a
    battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
    don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
    one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what the
    memory card can hold? is sound supported?).

    at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that big
    lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico on
    thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
    waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)

    thanks again for the reply =)

    "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
    June
    > and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially
    the
    > easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the 12
    > meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to
    get
    > a good feel of how it works.
    >
    > --jay
    >
    > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > x-no-archive: yes
    > >
    > > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
    > > opinions... :)
    > >
    > > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
    > >
    > > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the
    canon-410,
    > > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from
    > one
    > > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend
    > that
    > > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from
    the
    > > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
    > y'all.
    > >
    > > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

    I haven't used the video. the 5200 has better specs for video with 30fps vs
    15fps for the 4200. I believe both are limited to the size of the SD card.

    For the focus...Hmmm. I've used only the default auto focus mode. Only
    twice have I had it focus incorrectly. Once with a macro shot, it focused
    onthe wrong flower and once thaking a landscape photo it focused on a branch
    very close by. In both cases if I paid attention and took a little time I
    would have noticed and re-taken the shot or re-focused. I'm not sure a true
    manual focus exists. It may, but I'm thinking the only manual option is to
    locate the area where the auto focus will use.

    The focus is quite quick and I've missed few if any shots because of it. I
    have 3 kids so most photos have some sort of action taking place.

    Sorry I couldn't be much help. The camera is new enough yet I just haven't
    used all the modes and options.

    > hola jay!
    >
    > and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't have
    > battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
    > don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
    > one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what
    the
    > memory card can hold? is sound supported?).
    >
    > at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that
    big
    > lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico
    on
    > thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
    > waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)
    >
    > thanks again for the reply =)
    >
    > "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
    > June
    > > and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it especially
    > the
    > > easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the
    12
    > > meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe to
    > get
    > > a good feel of how it works.
    > >
    > > --jay
    > >
    > > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > > x-no-archive: yes
    > > >
    > > > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in
    y'alls
    > > > opinions... :)
    > > >
    > > > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
    > > >
    > > > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the
    > canon-410,
    > > > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard
    from
    > > one
    > > > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another
    friend
    > > that
    > > > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from
    > the
    > > > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
    > > y'all.
    > > >
    > > > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

    hola Jay,

    Thanks so much for the info, i think the nikon sounds great.

    i am guessing tho, if you really want any manual focus capabilities, one can
    only get that with a dslr, and i really just want a small cam.

    thanks again for the info =)

    > I haven't used the video. the 5200 has better specs for video with 30fps
    vs
    > 15fps for the 4200. I believe both are limited to the size of the SD card.
    >
    > For the focus...Hmmm. I've used only the default auto focus mode. Only
    > twice have I had it focus incorrectly. Once with a macro shot, it focused
    > onthe wrong flower and once thaking a landscape photo it focused on a
    branch
    > very close by. In both cases if I paid attention and took a little time I
    > would have noticed and re-taken the shot or re-focused. I'm not sure a
    true
    > manual focus exists. It may, but I'm thinking the only manual option is
    > locate the area where the auto focus will use.
    >
    > The focus is quite quick and I've missed few if any shots because of it.
    > have 3 kids so most photos have some sort of action taking place.
    >
    > Sorry I couldn't be much help. The camera is new enough yet I just
    haven't
    > used all the modes and options.
    >

    > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > hola jay!
    > >
    > > and thanks for the reply. i did go to a store today, but they didn't
    have
    > > battery in the camera. it seems great... but i didn't get to try it. if
    > > don't mind, can you tell me about the manual focus capability (is there
    > > one?)? or the video capabilites (e.g. is there a time limit beyond what
    > the
    > > memory card can hold? is sound supported?).
    > >
    > > at this point i am considering the 4200/5200 and the sony w1 (love that
    > big
    > > lcd). tho ultimately i do want the best picture quality. going to mexico
    > on
    > > thursday and would like to get something before the trip (nothing like
    > > waiting till the last minute, eh? ;)
    > >
    > > thanks again for the reply =)
    > >
    > > "jay" <jay.dahlke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > I feel the Nikon 4200 is very user friendly. I purchased one in early
    > > June
    > > > and have shot about 300 pictures with it. Very happy with it
    especially
    > > the
    > > > easy of use. GO to your local camera store and try one out. With the
    > 12
    > > > meg of internal memory you can take a few pics right there inthe stoe
    > > get
    > > > a good feel of how it works.
    > > >
    > > > --jay
    > > >
    > > > "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message

    > y'alls

    > > canon-410,
    > from
    > > > one
    > friend
    > > > that
    > > the
    > > > y'all.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Well, I just got myself a W1 and I like it very much. The live
    histogram feedback helps me alot to take pictures properly, though
    there was a steep learning curve for a dunce like me, and while I
    can't manuall adjust white balance, the predetermined settings that
    comes with the camera seems more than adequate.

    And I can adjust the EV values in steps, adjust F and ISO settings
    with relative ease. I didn't find the navigation to be too difficult
    or too cumbersome. Once you know where the buttons are and you're
    quick with your finger, it's not too bad at all.

    For me, it came down to Canon S500 or the W1. The store I bought the
    W1 from has a 1 week trial policy, as long as you let them have a cc
    number) so I tried out the S500 for a few days and the W1 the next.

    The picture quality were about the same when both cameras were in auto
    mode, but I was able to take better pictures once I got to adjust the
    ISO, F, EV and I got instant feedback from the livehistogram.

    Decisions, decision...I know, I was there too, but I'm pretty happy
    with my W1. Good luck!

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:56:37 GMT, "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
    >opinions... :)
    >
    >btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
    >
    >just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
    >but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from one
    >friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend that
    >the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
    >recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from y'all.
    >
    >any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    wow gang! thanks for all your help.

    i really appreciate it =)... now i want both cameras *grin*

    "Tink" <nospam@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > i know, this is a 'which camera' question, but i am interested in y'alls
    > opinions... :)
    >
    > btw, i have NO interest in any sigma products.
    >
    > just looking for a good, small, sturdy camera. i would get the canon-410,
    > but am thinking i would like to have manual focus capability. heard from
    one
    > friend that the nikon's were not user friendly, and from another friend
    that
    > the sony button navagation was difficult. have read some reviews from the
    > recommended websites, and well, would like to get some feedback from
    y'all.

    > any comments and suggestions would be appreciated :). thanks!

Cameras Canon Peripherals