AVI files I presume? And the answer is codecs.

An uncompressed AVI file can happily be played by Windows Media Player
without any additional codecs. However it takes up approximately 12GB of
drive space per hour of footage. Hence 99% of all AVI files, found online
are compressed. To play these files, you need to know with which codec the
file was compressed, download and install that codec and then the file will
play.

To discover which codec your AVI file was compressed with, download and
install G-Spot Codec Identifier from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you've found out which codec was used, you'll then have to download and
install it. The two most popular are xVid and DIVx.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"marc" <marccwy@msn.com> wrote in message
> wmp 9 wont play any video but will play audio can anyone
> help me

terry

I am having the same problem. Widnows Media Player has a
black screen for all types of files: WMF, MPEG, realmedia,
quicktime, etc. Nothing shows a picture.
This started about 2 weeks ago.
Anyone have an idea?

I tried the WMP help page but the link to wmptest doesn't
work.

I have noticed this same problem and i have found that if you start the
video and then press CNTRl - ALT - DLT and when it brings up the box
with the 5 or 6 options on it just press cancel and the video appears
just fine. this is very weird!

--
joshman1204