Partition Magic 8 changed drive letter partition

Recently I was trying to resize the partition where I have XP Home on
to about 10 gigs more, and everything seemed to go fine until I had to
restart the computer to apply the changes. As it was applying the
changes, I got the error 626, which said that "the operation is to be
performed on a hard drive not visible from boot-mode." I don't know
what exactly that means, but I found out that when I rebooted, it
found a new drive, F. Actually, what it did was rename my old
partition J, to F, where I keep all my programs. Now, all the
programs are screwed up because of the target location is pointing to
J, which doesn't exist anymore -- now named F.

So, a) what can I do to get my "new" F partition back to J again, and
b) why the error 626 in the first place, and what does it mean. If
anyone knows of a better program out there than partition magic,
please help, too.

System specs:
XP Home
AMD Athlon 2.1 ghz
512 RAM
and so on...
4 answers Last reply
More about partition magic changed drive letter partition

    "LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Recently I was trying to resize the partition where I have XP Home on
    > to about 10 gigs more, and everything seemed to go fine until I had to
    > restart the computer to apply the changes. As it was applying the
    > changes, I got the error 626, which said that "the operation is to be
    > performed on a hard drive not visible from boot-mode." I don't know
    > what exactly that means, but I found out that when I rebooted, it
    > found a new drive, F. Actually, what it did was rename my old
    > partition J, to F, where I keep all my programs. Now, all the
    > programs are screwed up because of the target location is pointing to
    > J, which doesn't exist anymore -- now named F.
    >
    > So, a) what can I do to get my "new" F partition back to J again, and
    > b) why the error 626 in the first place, and what does it mean. If
    > anyone knows of a better program out there than partition magic,
    > please help, too.
    >
    > System specs:
    > XP Home
    > AMD Athlon 2.1 ghz
    > 512 RAM
    > and so on...

    You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
    change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
    at all.

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:30:03 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e
    c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

    >You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
    >change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
    >at all.

    XP won't change the boot partition letter. I don't know anything that
    will. Do you?

    Steve
    Build networks from numeric, text and image files.
    http://www.easynn.com

    <steve@easynn.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:30:03 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e
    > c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
    >

    > >You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how
    > >change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of
    stuff
    > >at all.
    > >

    > XP won't change the boot partition letter. I don't know anything that
    > will. Do you?

    Hello,

    It appears PM allows you to do so. I didn't let it execute this though as
    you will run into boot problems hen doing so.

    --
    Joep

    c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

    >You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
    >change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
    >at all.

    For heaven's sake, Joep, the guy's looking for help, not snide
    comments - were you never a newbie, wanting help? A gentle nudge that
    PM is to be used with caution, perhaps, but not a pat on the head. You
    don't even have any relevant input to the problem.

    LaphLaw: Don't let Joep's response put you off NewsGroups - just
    ignore the Trolls and know-it-alls.

    As for your problem, as this is an old post you may have solved it -
    if not, offf-the-cuff I'd recommend a backup of all your important
    data to zip disk, CD, floppy or whatever (you could use PM for backup,
    but that gets kind of recursive in the current situation <g>).

    After that, have a look at PM's "Drive Mapper" - it *might* solve your
    problem - did you accidentally use the PM "Split Partition" operation,
    by the way?

    But hey! Be careful with PM - it's a powerful beast! <g>.

    PS
    I Googled here, looking for a resolution to a similar problem - not a
    regular haunt of mine, so if I don't respond to further posts I'm
    lurking elsewhere.

    --
    Nick Michell
    Doff Your Hat for personal reply.