Partition Magic 8 changed drive letter partition

Recently I was trying to resize the partition where I have XP Home on
to about 10 gigs more, and everything seemed to go fine until I had to
restart the computer to apply the changes. As it was applying the
changes, I got the error 626, which said that "the operation is to be
performed on a hard drive not visible from boot-mode." I don't know
what exactly that means, but I found out that when I rebooted, it
found a new drive, F. Actually, what it did was rename my old
partition J, to F, where I keep all my programs. Now, all the
programs are screwed up because of the target location is pointing to
J, which doesn't exist anymore -- now named F.

So, a) what can I do to get my "new" F partition back to J again, and
b) why the error 626 in the first place, and what does it mean. If
anyone knows of a better program out there than partition magic,
please help, too.

System specs:
XP Home
AMD Athlon 2.1 ghz
512 RAM
and so on...

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"LaphLaw" <neil_hunter81@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recently I was trying to resize the partition where I have XP Home on
> to about 10 gigs more, and everything seemed to go fine until I had to
> restart the computer to apply the changes. As it was applying the
> changes, I got the error 626, which said that "the operation is to be
> performed on a hard drive not visible from boot-mode." I don't know
> what exactly that means, but I found out that when I rebooted, it
> found a new drive, F. Actually, what it did was rename my old
> partition J, to F, where I keep all my programs. Now, all the
> programs are screwed up because of the target location is pointing to
> J, which doesn't exist anymore -- now named F.
>
> So, a) what can I do to get my "new" F partition back to J again, and
> b) why the error 626 in the first place, and what does it mean. If
> anyone knows of a better program out there than partition magic,
> please help, too.
>
> System specs:
> XP Home
> AMD Athlon 2.1 ghz
> 512 RAM
> and so on...

You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
at all.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:30:03 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e
c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

>You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
>change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
>at all.

XP won't change the boot partition letter. I don't know anything that
will. Do you?

Steve
Build networks from numeric, text and image files.
http://www.easynn.com

joeP

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<steve@easynn.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:30:03 +0200, "Joep" <j o e p @ d i y d a t a r e
> c o v e r y . n l> wrote:
>

> >You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how
> >change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of
stuff
> >at all.
> >

> XP won't change the boot partition letter. I don't know anything that
> will. Do you?

Hello,

It appears PM allows you to do so. I didn't let it execute this though as
you will run into boot problems hen doing so.

--
Joep

c o v e r y . n l> wrote:

>You shouldn't be looking for other software. If you do not even know how to
>change a drive letter in XP you just shouldn't mess with this kind of stuff
>at all.

For heaven's sake, Joep, the guy's looking for help, not snide
comments - were you never a newbie, wanting help? A gentle nudge that
PM is to be used with caution, perhaps, but not a pat on the head. You
don't even have any relevant input to the problem.

LaphLaw: Don't let Joep's response put you off NewsGroups - just
ignore the Trolls and know-it-alls.

As for your problem, as this is an old post you may have solved it -
if not, offf-the-cuff I'd recommend a backup of all your important
data to zip disk, CD, floppy or whatever (you could use PM for backup,
but that gets kind of recursive in the current situation <g>).

After that, have a look at PM's "Drive Mapper" - it *might* solve your
problem - did you accidentally use the PM "Split Partition" operation,
by the way?

But hey! Be careful with PM - it's a powerful beast! <g>.

PS
I Googled here, looking for a resolution to a similar problem - not a
regular haunt of mine, so if I don't respond to further posts I'm
lurking elsewhere.

--
Nick Michell
Doff Your Hat for personal reply.