Why does mechanical failure causes HDD being undetectable ..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Hi!
Could someone please explain why in the case of *mechanical* failure HD
becomes sometimes undetected by BIOS and/or the operating system (e.g. win xp
or linux)?
If it was an electronic failure then such behaviour would be obious, but why
the same happens with some mechanical failures? When electronics is working in
my opinion it still should be detected by bios and/or the system (win xp or
linux), but often it is not.
I could recover about 80% of the data from my HDD (which apparently has a
mechanical failure - plates spin up and down, heads create bad noises) if only
the disk could be seen by the system all the time. But often during copying of
the data heads hit with a loud sound so badly that sometimes even the plates
stop rotating, and the disk then dissapears from the system. It is then very
difficult to make it detectable by the system again, sometimes the sytem can
detect it but only after several minutes of copying it freezes and then
dissapears again.
Recently, I was unlucky, and even after several dozens of retries it's still
undetectable by the system.

Could you please advice what to do to make the disk detectable by the system
all the time?
What causes that it is not detectable although the failure is in mechanics not
electronics?

BTW, if someone has the same disk model (Quantum Fireball ST64A011), please
let me know.

andy
5 answers Last reply
More about mechanical failure undetectable
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "andy" <andy@antispam.com> wrote in message

    > But often during copying of
    > the data heads hit with a loud sound so badly that sometimes even the
    plates
    > stop rotating, and the disk then dissapears from the system. It is then
    very
    > difficult to make it detectable by the system again, sometimes the sytem
    can
    > detect it but only after several minutes of copying it freezes and then
    > dissapears again.
    > Recently, I was unlucky, and even after several dozens of retries it's
    still
    > undetectable by the system.

    This sounds like a classic head crash. The heads are physically rubbing on
    the platters causing damage to both. Onee that happens it's only a matter of
    time before the drive is completly dead.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be>
    wrote:
    >This sounds like a classic head crash. The heads are physically rubbing on
    >the platters causing damage to both. Onee that happens it's only a matter of
    >time before the drive is completly dead.

    It still doesn't explain why head crashes causes disk to be undetectable at
    times (well, most of the time in this case).
    I opened the disk (I don't care about the dust, since it's dead anyway), and
    the surface of the first plate is in perfect condition, I can't see surfaces
    of other plates, though.

    BTW freezing didn't help to detect it.

    a.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be>
    > wrote:
    > >This sounds like a classic head crash. The heads are physically rubbing
    on
    > >the platters causing damage to both. Onee that happens it's only a matter
    of
    > >time before the drive is completly dead.
    >
    > It still doesn't explain why head crashes causes disk to be undetectable
    at
    > times (well, most of the time in this case).
    > I opened the disk (I don't care about the dust, since it's dead anyway),
    and
    > the surface of the first plate is in perfect condition, I can't see
    surfaces
    > of other plates, though.
    >
    > BTW freezing didn't help to detect it.
    >
    > a.

    If the disk is not spinning at the required speed it is not READY, and
    cannot be read. The system cannot read devices which do not decalare
    themselves as READY!
    Mike.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "andy" <andy@antispam.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be>
    > wrote:
    > >This sounds like a classic head crash. The heads are physically rubbing
    on
    > >the platters causing damage to both. Onee that happens it's only a matter
    of
    > >time before the drive is completly dead.
    >
    > It still doesn't explain why head crashes causes disk to be undetectable
    at
    > times (well, most of the time in this case).
    > I opened the disk (I don't care about the dust, since it's dead anyway),

    WACKO!
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "andy" <andy@antispam.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:41:49 GMT, "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be>
    > wrote:
    > >This sounds like a classic head crash. The heads are physically rubbing
    on
    > >the platters causing damage to both. Onee that happens it's only a matter
    of
    > >time before the drive is completly dead.
    >
    > It still doesn't explain why head crashes causes disk to be undetectable
    at
    > times (well, most of the time in this case).
    > I opened the disk (I don't care about the dust, since it's dead anyway),
    and
    > the surface of the first plate is in perfect condition,

    You can't always see the damage with the human eye until it's really very
    bad.

Hardware Hard Drives Storage