Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting my camera to work with my laptop

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 11:11:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

At one point, I had a nice digital camera that worked just fine with
my laptop. Alas, it got buried in a move and I can't find it. Right
now, I have a "no-name" camera from Brookstone, with "DIGI CAM" on the
face. It works fine with my desktop, but I can't get my laptop to
recognize it, and a friend with the same model has the same issue.
Can anybody here point me to software that will work with it? If you
need more info, I can tell you that the program bundled with it is
DigitalCamera, although I doubt that's any help. If you need more,
tell me what you need and where to find it. I'm good with computers,
but digital cameras are out of my baliwick.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
"Is this one of those times when i should be crying out "Ugol!!" ?
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz

More about : camera work laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 4:36:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

What kind of memory does it store the pictures on? If it uses a removable
media (like compact flash, sd, mmc, xd, etc), get a card reader (something
which plugs into your computers USB port and can read flash cards). When you
put the card in, go to my computer, and one of the drives will be your card.
Then you can just select and dra the pictures onto your computer.
Richard
"Joe Zeff" <the.guy.with.the.sideburns@lasfs.org> wrote in message
news:5auif0tv2fokrsvjmc4goba4jgiq9jv1ip@4ax.com...
> At one point, I had a nice digital camera that worked just fine with
> my laptop. Alas, it got buried in a move and I can't find it. Right
> now, I have a "no-name" camera from Brookstone, with "DIGI CAM" on the
> face. It works fine with my desktop, but I can't get my laptop to
> recognize it, and a friend with the same model has the same issue.
> Can anybody here point me to software that will work with it? If you
> need more info, I can tell you that the program bundled with it is
> DigitalCamera, although I doubt that's any help. If you need more,
> tell me what you need and where to find it. I'm good with computers,
> but digital cameras are out of my baliwick.
>
> --
> Joe Zeff
> The Guy With the Sideburns
> "Is this one of those times when i should be crying out "Ugol!!" ?
> http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:20:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

You don't mention the magic word 'drivers' so I'll ask the obvious,
have you installed the correct drivers for the camera. If not drivers
are usually available from the web site of the camera manufacturer.
Drivers are specific to the camera, there are no 'universal' drivers.

As far as software is concerned, if you don't mean drivers, any camera
software will 'work' once the correct drivers are installed.



On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 19:11:48 GMT, Joe Zeff
<the.guy.with.the.sideburns@lasfs.org> wrote:

>At one point, I had a nice digital camera that worked just fine with
>my laptop. Alas, it got buried in a move and I can't find it. Right
>now, I have a "no-name" camera from Brookstone, with "DIGI CAM" on the
>face. It works fine with my desktop, but I can't get my laptop to
>recognize it, and a friend with the same model has the same issue.
>Can anybody here point me to software that will work with it? If you
>need more info, I can tell you that the program bundled with it is
>DigitalCamera, although I doubt that's any help. If you need more,
>tell me what you need and where to find it. I'm good with computers,
>but digital cameras are out of my baliwick.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 11:02:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:36:03 GMT, "marlin"
<marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>What kind of memory does it store the pictures on? If it uses a removable
>media (like compact flash, sd, mmc, xd, etc), get a card reader (something
>which plugs into your computers USB port and can read flash cards). When you
>put the card in, go to my computer, and one of the drives will be your card.
>Then you can just select and dra the pictures onto your computer.

Ha! For $50 you expect removable memory? On a no-name camera? Thanx
for the suggestion, but it's not practical. This camera will eat a
AAA battery in three days if you leave it in, just feeding the memory.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
The only problem with troubleshooting is that
trouble sometimes shoots back.
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 11:04:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:20:59 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>As far as software is concerned, if you don't mean drivers, any camera
>software will 'work' once the correct drivers are installed.

No, I don't mean drivers. If I did, I would have said so. I
installed the only software I have for it from the CD. On the desktop
it works fine, not on a laptop. I have a friend with the same model
and the same issue.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
"Top of the line" probably means "Top of the shelf", from where it
dropped to the floor before they send it off.
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 12:49:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Joe Zeff wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:20:59 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson
> <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>
>>As far as software is concerned, if you don't mean drivers, any camera
>>software will 'work' once the correct drivers are installed.
>
>
> No, I don't mean drivers. If I did, I would have said so. I
> installed the only software I have for it from the CD. On the desktop
> it works fine, not on a laptop. I have a friend with the same model
> and the same issue.
>
is the driver for a version of windows older than the one on your laptop
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 1:01:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:49:23 +0100, Mark Spacey
<vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>
>is the driver for a version of windows older than the one on your laptop

Both machines use the same version, and a friend of mine has the same
issue. In part, I'm wondering if there's any shareware/freeware
software out there that might work.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
Debating unix flavors in the context of anything Microsoft is like
talking about which ice cream flavor tastes least like sawdust with
turpentine sauce.
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 1:16:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Joe Zeff wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 08:49:23 +0100, Mark Spacey
> <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
>>is the driver for a version of windows older than the one on your laptop
>
>
> Both machines use the same version, and a friend of mine has the same
> issue. In part, I'm wondering if there's any shareware/freeware
> software out there that might work.
>
Try downloading a early jentopic twain driver they seem to work with
most early twain driver cameras, or is it a usb hub
July 18, 2004 4:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

giveup some hints:
operating system and version on laptop
operating system and version on desktop
same model camera, same model laptop, same model desktop?
got a little cable that plugs into camera at oen end and USB on the
other end?

Joe Zeff <the.guy.with.the.sideburns@lasfs.org> wrote:
>At one point, I had a nice digital camera that worked just fine with
>my laptop. Alas, it got buried in a move and I can't find it. Right
>now, I have a "no-name" camera from Brookstone, with "DIGI CAM" on the
>face. It works fine with my desktop, but I can't get my laptop to
>recognize it, and a friend with the same model has the same issue.
>Can anybody here point me to software that will work with it? If you
>need more info, I can tell you that the program bundled with it is
>DigitalCamera, although I doubt that's any help. If you need more,
>tell me what you need and where to find it. I'm good with computers,
>but digital cameras are out of my baliwick.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 8:11:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

"Joe Zeff" <the.guy.with.the.sideburns@lasfs.org> wrote in message
news:t18kf0lde77odkpf3opaov4csshrg7ksij@4ax.com...
> Ha! For $50 you expect removable memory? On a no-name camera? Thanx
> for the suggestion, but it's not practical. This camera will eat a
> AAA battery in three days if you leave it in, just feeding the memory.

I kinda thought that's what the response would be. My only thought is to
check your USB drivers and not only make sure they are up to date on the
laptop, but also perhaps there are USB autoplay settings somewhere.
Richard
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 9:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

Camera requires usb power, to operate, lap top wired usb power pin (new
standard)
could it be the lap top can not power the camera as it is a "non hot" usb
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:39:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:11:27 GMT, "marlin"
<marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>I kinda thought that's what the response would be. My only thought is to
>check your USB drivers and not only make sure they are up to date on the
>laptop, but also perhaps there are USB autoplay settings somewhere.
>Richard

It's a rather odd laptop, and unless the drivers are new, USB doesn't
work. However, I like the autoplay setting idea. Will look. If
that's it, I'll let my friend know.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
If you can't play with words, what good are they?
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:40:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:49:38 -0400, "user@hotmail.com"
<user@hotmail.com> wrote:

>giveup some hints:
>operating system and version on laptop
>operating system and version on desktop
>same model camera, same model laptop, same model desktop?
>got a little cable that plugs into camera at oen end and USB on the
>other end?

Same OS, same version, same camera same cable. Same issue with a
friend.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
Don't get between the bulldozer and the
stump.
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 18, 2004 10:41:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On 18 Jul 2004 17:49:35 GMT, Mark Spacey <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk>
wrote:

>Camera requires usb power, to operate, lap top wired usb power pin (new
>standard)
>could it be the lap top can not power the camera as it is a "non hot" usb

Possible, I guess. I even tried a PCMCIA USB device at one time with
the same effect.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
If you can't play with words, what good are they?
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 12:32:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:39:10 GMT, Joe Zeff
<the.guy.with.the.sideburns@lasfs.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:11:27 GMT, "marlin"
><marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:
>
>>I kinda thought that's what the response would be. My only thought is to
>>check your USB drivers and not only make sure they are up to date on the
>>laptop, but also perhaps there are USB autoplay settings somewhere.
>>Richard
>
>It's a rather odd laptop, and unless the drivers are new, USB doesn't
>work. However, I like the autoplay setting idea. Will look. If
>that's it, I'll let my friend know.

No autoplay setting in Device manager.

--
Joe Zeff
The Guy With the Sideburns
If you can't play with words, what good are they?
http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz
!