Hard drive horror story X2

I had a Western Digital mod.WD1200 120gb and a mod. WD600 60 gb both
working fine until my power supply died. After replacing the power
supply bios will not detect either drive. I tried them in other
computers with the same result. The only thing I can assume is that
the power supply put out too much voltage and burned something
out on the logic boards.
Does anyone know if there is a fuse or resistor (hopefully) that blows
in case of over-voltage in these models? Also, the logic boards on
these drives are super easy to remove with no wires to unsolder.
If I get a working drive of the same model and exchange boards could
I recover my data? Is there anything that could blow inside the sealed
drive with too much voltage?
I had some backup but I was also backing up from drive to drive
thinking "what are the odds both drives would fail at the same time"?
Apparently, not that high.

Maybe the IDE controller is screwed up, try a known good drive on that same
cable.

--Dan

"RM" <rm3@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> I had a Western Digital mod.WD1200 120gb and a mod. WD600 60 gb both
> working fine until my power supply died. After replacing the power
> supply bios will not detect either drive. I tried them in other
> computers with the same result. The only thing I can assume is that
> the power supply put out too much voltage and burned something
> out on the logic boards.
> Does anyone know if there is a fuse or resistor (hopefully) that blows
> in case of over-voltage in these models? Also, the logic boards on
> these drives are super easy to remove with no wires to unsolder.
> If I get a working drive of the same model and exchange boards could
> I recover my data? Is there anything that could blow inside the sealed
> drive with too much voltage?
> I had some backup but I was also backing up from drive to drive
> thinking "what are the odds both drives would fail at the same time"?
> Apparently, not that high.

Nevermind, I just saw that you tested them in another known good PC. Oh
well.

--Dan

RM wrote:
> If I get a working drive of the same model and exchange boards could
> I recover my data? Is there anything that could blow inside the sealed
> drive with too much voltage?

Quite possible. I've done this once and was able to recover my data from
a drive with a fried circuit board (the board died of overvoltage also).

good luck,
Nils