Dynamic disks - what tools for boot management and partiti..

I like the idea of combining space on more than one Win 2000/XP drive
into one logical volume using dynamic disks. But after checking the
Symantec, V-COM, and Acronis web sites, their consumer-priced
utilities for boot management and partition management do not support
dynamic disks.

Are there any programs, low-cost or open source, that do support these
functions? I can't see spending $699 for Acronis True Image Server
for Windows.
17 answers Last reply
More about dynamic disks tools boot management partiti

    Doesn't anyone in this group have answers to these questions?

    >I like the idea of combining space on more than one Win 2000/XP drive
    >into one logical volume using dynamic disks. But after checking the
    >Symantec, V-COM, and Acronis web sites, their consumer-priced
    >utilities for boot management and partition management do not support
    >dynamic disks.
    >
    >Are there any programs, low-cost or open source, that do support these
    >functions? I can't see spending $699 for Acronis True Image Server
    >for Windows.

    Norton Ghost 9.0 is supposed to support dynamic disks. It is the same
    as the old Powerquest V2i Protector.

    Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote:

    >Doesn't anyone in this group have answers to these questions?
    >

    >>I like the idea of combining space on more than one Win 2000/XP drive
    >>into one logical volume using dynamic disks. But after checking the
    >>Symantec, V-COM, and Acronis web sites, their consumer-priced
    >>utilities for boot management and partition management do not support
    >>dynamic disks.
    >>
    >>Are there any programs, low-cost or open source, that do support these
    >>functions? I can't see spending $699 for Acronis True Image Server
    >>for Windows.

    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:24:14 -0700, SloPoke <csewell@nospam.telus.net>
    wrote:

    >Norton Ghost 9.0 is supposed to support dynamic disks. It is the same
    >as the old Powerquest V2i Protector.

    Really? So the old "DOSish" interface is gone? Can you still run G 9
    from just a floppy? (Drive Image is gone?)

    As much as i appreciate SloPoke's answer (and I'll drink a glass of
    fine Cabernet to him), it doesn't cover all my concerns. A "complete"
    solution also includes a partition manager like Partition Magic and a
    boot manager/OS install support aid like System Commander. I've
    already checked. Neither supports dynamic disks.

    --W--

    Winey wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:24:14 -0700, SloPoke <csewell@nospam.telus.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Norton Ghost 9.0 is supposed to support dynamic disks. It is the same
    > >as the old Powerquest V2i Protector.
    >
    > Really? So the old "DOSish" interface is gone? Can you still run G 9
    > from just a floppy? (Drive Image is gone?)
    >
    > As much as i appreciate SloPoke's answer (and I'll drink a glass of
    > fine Cabernet to him), it doesn't cover all my concerns. A "complete"
    > solution also includes a partition manager like Partition Magic and a
    > boot manager/OS install support aid like System Commander. I've
    > already checked. Neither supports dynamic disks.

    Why is there the need for these 3rd party applications? Are you the
    sort of person who used to use all sorts of memory management programs
    under DOS?

    Try a purist's approach.

    It's not always necessary to use PM and its ilk. Mostly used by people
    who seek to complicate something that is already fairly basic by an
    advanced user's (which is what I assume you are) standards.

    Odie

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 19:26:14 +0100, Odie Ferrous
    <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Winey wrote:
    >>

    >> As much as i appreciate SloPoke's answer (and I'll drink a glass of
    >> fine Cabernet to him), it doesn't cover all my concerns. A "complete"
    >> solution also includes a partition manager like Partition Magic and a
    >> boot manager/OS install support aid like System Commander. I've
    >> already checked. Neither supports dynamic disks.
    >>

    >Why is there the need for these 3rd party applications? Are you the
    >sort of person who used to use all sorts of memory management programs
    >under DOS?

    Yes, and I take your question as a compliment to my power-user
    status. Yes, and I used to have DOS-enhancers for things like history
    also.

    >Try a purist's approach.

    I ain't no masochist.

    >It's not always necessary to use PM and its ilk. Mostly used by people

    Well, how else can I change partition sizes without backing up and
    restoring data? If the built-in Windows administrative tools can do
    that, I would be more than happy to use them. As someone else in some
    news group said, "edumacate me."

    Also, I want to be able to multi-boot, but not rely on the relatively
    primitive facilities in Win 2000/XP. How about linux, etc. Also, a
    good boot manager can conceal non-active boot partitions from the
    active-parittion OS. With Windows multiple-boot, that is not
    possible, and you also get drive letter assignment tsuris. (highly
    technical word meaning headaches you don't wish on anybody you like.
    Your worst enemy, maybe ...) Imagine the tsuris with 3 primary
    partitions on one hard drive, plus an extended partition for data
    partitions.

    So, again, edumacate me.

    >who seek to complicate something that is already fairly basic by an
    >advanced user's (which is what I assume you are) standards.

    Well, using a boot manager or a partition manager with normal disks is
    pretty basic today. All is that I want to do is combine those
    facilities with dynamic disks. And only to have logical disk
    partitions that can span physical disks.

    Now, as you were saying ...

    >Odie

    --W--

    "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

    > Also, I want to be able to multi-boot, but not rely on the relatively
    > primitive facilities in Win 2000/XP. How about linux, etc. Also, a
    > good boot manager can conceal non-active boot partitions from the
    > active-parittion OS. With Windows multiple-boot, that is not
    > possible, and you also get drive letter assignment tsuris. (highly
    > technical word meaning headaches you don't wish on anybody you like.
    > Your worst enemy, maybe ...) Imagine the tsuris with 3 primary
    > partitions on one hard drive, plus an extended partition for data
    > partitions.

    I hate boot managers because they all seem to overwrite the NT disk signature,
    causing major boot problems for me.

    You do not need to hide primary partitions. Make sure you OS disk is first
    (Int13 order), and active the partition you are installing to. It will always
    become C if you run setup from CD. Other drive letters are configured in Disk
    Manager.

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:52:14 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Also, I want to be able to multi-boot, but not rely on the relatively
    >> primitive facilities in Win 2000/XP. How about linux, etc. Also, a
    >> good boot manager can conceal non-active boot partitions from the
    >> active-parittion OS. With Windows multiple-boot, that is not
    >> possible, and you also get drive letter assignment tsuris. (highly
    >> technical word meaning headaches you don't wish on anybody you like.
    >> Your worst enemy, maybe ...) Imagine the tsuris with 3 primary
    >> partitions on one hard drive, plus an extended partition for data
    >> partitions.
    >>
    >I hate boot managers because they all seem to overwrite the NT disk signature,
    >causing major boot problems for me.
    >
    >You do not need to hide primary partitions. Make sure you OS disk is first

    Not so. Back in the day when I had a laptop with Win 98 and NT, I
    also had a third partition for my data. When I booted Win 98, the
    data partition was D:, which is what you would expect.

    But when I booted NT, the D Drive was assigned to the Win 98 program,
    and the data partition was assigned to Drive E: Not good.

    Now imagine that you have a system with 3 primary partitions for let's
    say Win XP, Win XP SP 2, and Win XP for "scratching around." I can
    almost guarantee that the presence of 3 installs, one on each primary
    partition, of MS Office, MS this-and-that, and other programs, will
    confuse the bejabbers out of most of that software. Not to mention
    possible confusion when installing Win XP into each partition.

    I think the boot managers have it right. A given installation of
    Windows doesn't see any other Windows (or Linux) installations unless
    you want to set it up that way.

    > >I hate boot managers because they all seem to overwrite the NT disk
    signature,
    > >causing major boot problems for me.
    > >
    > >You do not need to hide primary partitions. Make sure you OS disk is first
    >
    > Not so. Back in the day when I had a laptop with Win 98 and NT, I
    > also had a third partition for my data. When I booted Win 98, the
    > data partition was D:, which is what you would expect.
    >
    > But when I booted NT, the D Drive was assigned to the Win 98 program,
    > and the data partition was assigned to Drive E: Not good.

    If you cannot change drive letters in NT you are pretty stupid.

    > Now imagine that you have a system with 3 primary partitions for let's
    > say Win XP, Win XP SP 2, and Win XP for "scratching around." I can
    > almost guarantee that the presence of 3 installs, one on each primary
    > partition, of MS Office, MS this-and-that, and other programs, will
    > confuse the bejabbers out of most of that software. Not to mention
    > possible confusion when installing Win XP into each partition.

    Simply not an issue if the OS is C:.

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:15:36 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >If you cannot change drive letters in NT you are pretty stupid.

    Eric (you related to that Ron whats-his-name guy whose every other
    utterance is 'clueless?')

    Of course I can.
    control panel
    administrative tools
    computer management
    select disk management icon

    That still doesn't minimize my point. You still run the very real
    risk of "something doesn't work as expected" because of multiple
    visible primary partitions. Not to mention the possibility of
    operator error.

    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:15:36 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    > <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:
    >
    > That still doesn't minimize my point. You still run the very real
    > risk of "something doesn't work as expected" because of multiple
    > visible primary partitions. Not to mention the possibility of
    > operator error.

    Nothing goes wrong. In three posts, you have never even hinted at what can go
    wrong.

    A clueless troll and his imaginary risks. Take your meds.

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:58:19 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >"Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:15:36 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    >> <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> That still doesn't minimize my point. You still run the very real
    >> risk of "something doesn't work as expected" because of multiple
    >> visible primary partitions. Not to mention the possibility of
    >> operator error.
    >>
    >Nothing goes wrong. In three posts, you have never even hinted at what can go
    >wrong.
    >
    >A clueless troll and his imaginary risks. Take your meds.

    PLONK!

    You are exactly what is wrong with the usenet since they started
    letting "everyone" join.

    A perfect handle for a troll, winey. Thank you for losing the argument
    gracefully.

    > >Nothing goes wrong. In three posts, you have never even hinted at what can
    go
    > >wrong.
    > >
    > >A clueless troll and his imaginary risks. Take your meds.
    >
    > PLONK!
    >
    > You are exactly what is wrong with the usenet since they started
    > letting "everyone" join.

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:40:48 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:

    >A perfect handle for a troll, winey. Thank you for losing the argument
    >gracefully.

    You absolute schmuck, ignoramus. You are too wrapped up in your own
    oversized ego to recognize an oenological reference. A glass of
    wine-turned-to-vinegar for you! Plus a plonkeroo.

    Whatever you might say about me, I wasn't trolling. You are a very
    poor judge of people. And let me guess. You have no life outside
    Usenet, because other people in real life won't put up with your
    infantile, puerile behavior.

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:40:48 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
    > <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:
    >
    > >A perfect handle for a troll, winey. Thank you for losing the argument
    > >gracefully.
    >
    > You absolute schmuck, ignoramus. You are too wrapped up in your own
    > oversized ego to recognize an oenological reference. A glass of
    > wine-turned-to-vinegar for you! Plus a plonkeroo.
    >
    > Whatever you might say about me, I wasn't trolling. You are a very
    > poor judge of people. And let me guess. You have no life outside
    > Usenet, because other people in real life won't put up with your
    > infantile, puerile behavior.

    If you are not trolling, why do you persist when you have lost the argument?
    Only trolls do that sort of thing.

    Again, for the stupid troll: If you make an absurd claim about primary
    partitions causing problems, you have to back it up. Obviously you can't.

    I am a reputable member of this group, you are just another newbie.

    "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message news:dmfik0hsih5fpqoq6s3crp6kqhnvi3n0f3@4ax.com
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:40:48 -0700, "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@graffiti.net> wrote:
    >
    > > A perfect handle for a troll, winey. Thank you for losing the argument
    > > gracefully.
    >
    > You absolute schmuck, ignoramus. You are too wrapped up in your own
    > oversized ego to recognize an oenological reference. A glass of
    > wine-turned-to-vinegar for you! Plus a plonkeroo.
    >
    > Whatever you might say about me, I wasn't trolling. You are a very
    > poor judge of people.

    > And let me guess. You have no life outside
    > Usenet, because other people in real life won't put up with your
    > infantile, puerile behavior.

    "You absolute schmuck, ignoramus .... And let me guess ...."

    Sounds like you just proved him to be totally correct.

    > --W--
    >

    > > "Winey" <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote in message

    > > > PLONK!
    > > >
    > > > You are exactly what is wrong with the usenet since they started
    > > > letting "everyone" join.

    Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com> wrote:

    >A glass of
    >wine-turned-to-vinegar for you! Plus a plonkeroo.

    I thought you'd already plonked him, troll-boy.

    Your first troll in this thread, to Odie.

    Notice we all all gave up trying to help you because you are too clueless to
    be helped.

    Hint: boot managers will work fine on bootable dynamic disks.

Management Boot Storage Product