IBM failure

Well, it happened. I'd hoped that the 60GXP that I bought 3 years ago
for use in my (now my kid's) main home machine was the "exception to
the rule", and would not fail.

Alas, a couple days ago, I noticed it was thrashing. The next day it
stopped working - fatal Windows errors, sometimes not seen by BIOS,
etc. Time for a new HD.

They don't call 'em Deathstars for nothin'.

P.S. Ron, have any of your IBM drives failed?

"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> Well, it happened. I'd hoped that the 60GXP that I bought 3 years ago
> for use in my (now my kid's) main home machine was the "exception to
> the rule", and would not fail.
>
> Alas, a couple days ago, I noticed it was thrashing. The next day it
> stopped working - fatal Windows errors, sometimes not seen by BIOS,
> etc. Time for a new HD.
>
> They don't call 'em Deathstars for nothin'.
>
> P.S. Ron, have any of your IBM drives failed?

This week CompUSA has 120GB Hitachi HD for sale at $70. It is probably the
only IDE drive with 3 years warranty. I think we should all support a
manufacture like that.

cjt

Ar Q wrote:

> "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Well, it happened. I'd hoped that the 60GXP that I bought 3 years ago
>>for use in my (now my kid's) main home machine was the "exception to
>>the rule", and would not fail.
>>
>>Alas, a couple days ago, I noticed it was thrashing. The next day it
>>stopped working - fatal Windows errors, sometimes not seen by BIOS,
>>etc. Time for a new HD.
>>
>>They don't call 'em Deathstars for nothin'.
>>
>>P.S. Ron, have any of your IBM drives failed?
>>

> This week CompUSA has 120GB Hitachi HD for sale at $70. It is probably the
> only IDE drive with 3 years warranty. I think we should all support a
> manufacture like that.

ROTFL! You know Hitachi bought IBM's drive operations, right?

Besides, Fry's has Maxtor 120 GB drives for $60 (through tonight, I
think, at least in Austin, Tx.).

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote:

>"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Well, it happened. I'd hoped that the 60GXP that I bought 3 years ago
>> for use in my (now my kid's) main home machine was the "exception to
>> the rule", and would not fail.
>>
>> Alas, a couple days ago, I noticed it was thrashing. The next day it
>> stopped working - fatal Windows errors, sometimes not seen by BIOS,
>> etc. Time for a new HD.
>>
>> They don't call 'em Deathstars for nothin'.
>>
>> P.S. Ron, have any of your IBM drives failed?
>
>This week CompUSA has 120GB Hitachi HD for sale at $70. It is probably the
>only IDE drive with 3 years warranty. I think we should all support a
>manufacture like that.

No more Deathstars for me, thanks. I buy Maxtor and WD now. I
probably buy a dozen HD's a year, so I know I'm a valuable customer to
lose. 8)

Previously Ar Q <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote:

> "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Well, it happened. I'd hoped that the 60GXP that I bought 3 years ago
>> for use in my (now my kid's) main home machine was the "exception to
>> the rule", and would not fail.
>>
>> Alas, a couple days ago, I noticed it was thrashing. The next day it
>> stopped working - fatal Windows errors, sometimes not seen by BIOS,
>> etc. Time for a new HD.
>>
>> They don't call 'em Deathstars for nothin'.
>>
>> P.S. Ron, have any of your IBM drives failed?
>>

> This week CompUSA has 120GB Hitachi HD for sale at $70. It is probably the
> only IDE drive with 3 years warranty. I think we should all support a
> manufacture like that.

Maxtor with >= 120GB and *MB buffer have 3 years warranty if they
are regular drives (i.e. not from an OEM special order).

Arno

In article <2q8lo3Ft37qkU1@uni-berlin.de>,
me@privacy.net says...
> > This week CompUSA has 120GB Hitachi HD for sale at $70. It is probably the
> > only IDE drive with 3 years warranty. I think we should all support a
> > manufacture like that.
>
> Maxtor with >= 120GB and *MB buffer have 3 years warranty if they
> are regular drives (i.e. not from an OEM special order).

The general rule of thumb is that the 2MB drives have 1
year warranties, and 8MB drives has 3 year warranties.

Of course, as with any rule, there are numerous
exceptions so check the fine print. But the bottom line
is that you should never buy a 1-year warranty drive.

Heck, one manufacturer (Samsung?) just made news
recently by doing 5-year warranties.