2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled

I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the
years.

Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.

Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
off(instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2 because it was using the
bios settings. I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only
Ultra DMA 5.

In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
bios to get it to work?

BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6

Any ideas of the issue?
7 answers Last reply
More about hard drive hangs disabled

    "John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message
    > 2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled
    >
    > I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
    > NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
    > partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the
    > years.
    >
    > Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
    > the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.
    >
    > Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
    > off(instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
    > allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
    > IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2 because it was using the
    > bios settings. I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only
    > Ultra DMA 5.
    >
    > In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
    > bios to get it to work?
    >
    > BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6
    >
    > Any ideas of the issue?
    Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
    Mike.

    master/slave config. Just double checked..

    "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<413e28fc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
    > Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
    > Mike.

    "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:413e28fc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com
    > "John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message news:7093bf65.0409070951.18b5cffa@posting.google.com...
    > > 2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled
    > >
    > > I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
    > > NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
    > > partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the years.
    > >
    > > Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
    > > the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.
    > >
    > > Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
    > > off (instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
    > > allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
    > > IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2

    > > because it was using the bios settings.

    What bios settings?

    > > I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only Ultra DMA 5.
    > >
    > > In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
    > > bios to get it to work?
    > >
    > > BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6
    > >
    > > Any ideas of the issue?
    >
    > Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?

    What if?

    > master/slave config. Just double checked..
    >

    > "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
    > > Mike.
    Have you tried both set to CS??
    Mike.

    Both set to CS did not matter. Configured drive as extended - no
    difference.

    XP hangs immediately - I can get to the XP boot menu thouhg by hitting
    F8 but blank screen after this.

    "John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message news:7093bf65.0409142329.52a52042@posting.google.com...
    > Both set to CS did not matter.

    As expected.
    It's not for nothing that Hawes couldn't answer the question.

    > Configured drive as extended - no difference.

    The cause must be looked for in the fact that the bios does add a device
    number (and possibly drive letters) when the drive is included in bios.
    Apparently this confuses Windows. Hopefully someone else knows how
    to deal with that.

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > The cause must be looked for in the fact that the bios does add a device
    > number (and possibly drive letters) when the drive is included in bios.
    > Apparently this confuses Windows. Hopefully someone else knows how
    > to deal with that.

    This may be the answer. A long shot, but in this case I would go into
    the system BIOS and load default settings across the board.

    Worth a try - has worked for me before when all else failed.

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts