Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 7, 2004 2:51:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled

I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the
years.

Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.

Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
off(instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2 because it was using the
bios settings. I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only
Ultra DMA 5.

In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
bios to get it to work?

BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6

Any ideas of the issue?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 8, 2004 2:30:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message
news:7093bf65.0409070951.18b5cffa@posting.google.com...
> 2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled
>
> I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
> NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
> partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the
> years.
>
> Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
> the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.
>
> Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
> off(instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
> allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
> IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2 because it was using the
> bios settings. I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only
> Ultra DMA 5.
>
> In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
> bios to get it to work?
>
> BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6
>
> Any ideas of the issue?
Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
Mike.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 8, 2004 3:57:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

master/slave config. Just double checked..


"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<413e28fc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
> Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
> Mike.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 8, 2004 6:09:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:413e28fc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com
> "John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message news:7093bf65.0409070951.18b5cffa@posting.google.com...
> > 2nd hard drive hangs XP unless disabled
> >
> > I added a 2nd hard drive - Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE as a SLAVE to an
> > NF7 yesterday. Well XP booted up, I created a basic disk primary
> > partition and quick formatted NTFS - dne this manytimes over the years.
> >
> > Reboot and immediately after post a blank black screen. I can get to
> > the XP boot menu but any choice after yield the same.
> >
> > Well, I went into the bios and selected this drive and turned
> > off (instead of auto) the selection for "Primary Slave drive" - this
> > allowed XP to boot, and XP even detected the drive, though the Nvidia
> > IDE properties set its performance to DMA 2

> > because it was using the bios settings.

What bios settings?

> > I was able to switch it to a faster mode - but only Ultra DMA 5.
> >
> > In any case, I find this odd. I have to disable this drive in the
> > bios to get it to work?
> >
> > BTW, the master drive is a Maxtor set to Ultra DMA 6
> >
> > Any ideas of the issue?
>
> Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?

What if?

> Mike.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 9, 2004 2:20:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message
news:7093bf65.0409072257.107bf7b7@posting.google.com...
> master/slave config. Just double checked..
>
>
> "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:<413e28fc_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
> > Do you have both drives set to CS (Cable Select)?
> > Mike.
Have you tried both set to CS??
Mike.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2004 4:29:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Both set to CS did not matter. Configured drive as extended - no
difference.

XP hangs immediately - I can get to the XP boot menu thouhg by hitting
F8 but blank screen after this.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2004 11:39:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"John Munsey Jr" <john@munsey.net> wrote in message news:7093bf65.0409142329.52a52042@posting.google.com...
> Both set to CS did not matter.

As expected.
It's not for nothing that Hawes couldn't answer the question.

> Configured drive as extended - no difference.

The cause must be looked for in the fact that the bios does add a device
number (and possibly drive letters) when the drive is included in bios.
Apparently this confuses Windows. Hopefully someone else knows how
to deal with that.

>
> XP hangs immediately - I can get to the XP boot menu thouhg by hitting
> F8 but blank screen after this.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 16, 2004 12:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
>

>
> The cause must be looked for in the fact that the bios does add a device
> number (and possibly drive letters) when the drive is included in bios.
> Apparently this confuses Windows. Hopefully someone else knows how
> to deal with that.

This may be the answer. A long shot, but in this case I would go into
the system BIOS and load default settings across the board.

Worth a try - has worked for me before when all else failed.


Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts
www.retrodata.co.uk
!