AMD Athlon XP 1700+

May 30, 2004 3:47:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?

This Computer:
-GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
-MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
-(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
-Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
-(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
-Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
-MSI AC'97 On board Audio
-nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
-(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
-Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
-Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
-Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
-New Security Updates

Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
Photoshop. The software I have tried is:

-HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
-Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
-Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
-The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
-Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
-Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
-James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)

This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

More about : amd athlon 1700

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 4:05:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

You don't mention what you've tried, updating the chipset drivers, changing
the graphic card drivers. Have you tried that? I'd check the MSI web site
and see if there are any updates, and also go to www.nvidia.com for the
graphics card drivers.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it says
> "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem, because it
> sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video card may
> have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA driver as
> the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
>
> This Computer:
> -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> -New Security Updates
>
> Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe Photoshop.
> The software I have tried is:
>
> -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
>
> This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 6:08:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Reinstall nVidia's display drivers.

--
Chris Lanier
Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
"[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
> says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
> because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
> card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
> driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
>
> This Computer:
> -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> -New Security Updates
>
> Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
> Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
>
> -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
>
> This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
Related resources
May 30, 2004 8:54:06 PM

"UN-KNOWN CPU", Seems like your CPU is running a little
faster than it should This will cause problems in games &
graphics programs (been there)

:- AMD 1.7 Athlon runs around @ 1446MHz not 1533MHz,an
AMD 1.8 runs around @1533. Check to see if you have your
Dip-Switches set correctly on your mainboard to produce
the correct running frequency & voltage. if you have a
Mainboard that support "RedStorm" overclocking utility,(
IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
default:
DEFAULT:-
CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
------------------------------------

AMD packing info:

on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this down
before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C

[1]
Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
Dx = DURON TYPE?x
[2]
Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
[3]
1700 = RUNNING SPEED
[4]
(PACKING TYPE)
A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
[5]
OPERATING VOLTAGE
M = 1.75v N=1.8v
{S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
[6]
CASE TEMP
T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
[7]
SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte

[8]
MAX FSB
A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz

Further info :

http://www.amd.com/us-
en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf

Have a nice day

Storm

PS, check to see if your onboard Sound has been turned
off in the BIOS, uninstall your AC97 drivers, they dont
like creative soundblaster drivers much, re-install your
creative drivers:

Check in the BIOS also, that your AGP memory appeture
isnt larger than twice the memory of your graphics card,
eg:64meg card = Max appeture size of 128meg, infact i
wouldn`t take it much higher than 128 even if it was a
128 card.

try your AGP slot running @ x4 to see if that helps.
sometimes it does.
-
99.999% certain its your AMD CPU over clocked to 1533
instead of running @1446 though.

Later

>------End of Message------<

Anonymous
May 30, 2004 9:55:26 PM

Chris H. wrote:
> You don't mention what you've tried, updating the chipset drivers, changing
> the graphic card drivers. Have you tried that? I'd check the MSI web site
> and see if there are any updates, and also go to www.nvidia.com for the
> graphics card drivers.

Thank you for your assistance Chris. I would like to say I have tried
the following updates:

nVIDIA GeForce4 Display Adapter
Windows XP Professional SP1
Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value Drivers
MSI Mainboard software
All Drivers
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 6:32:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Did you flash the BIOS to the most current version? How much RAM do you
have?
http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

The "Unknown CPU" is normal for MB that where not design for Athlon XP but
were later patch with a BIOS update. My Abit KT7A-Raid is the same way. I
just resently added a 1800+ cpu and FX5200 video card. I have to twitch the
BIOS settings and free up more memory by not allowing unnessary programs to
run. This fix a lot of the issues I was having. With the new hardware and
the games I am playing I am now getting ready to add more RAM. I only have
384 PC100 Ram. I will be upgrading to 1 GB of PC133. This should fix any
problems I am currently having.

"[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
> says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
> because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
> card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
> driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
>
> This Computer:
> -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> -New Security Updates
>
> Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
> Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
>
> -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
>
> This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 6:47:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

I just look up your MB you are using the same VIA chipset that I am using.
This means that you sure be using VIA 4 in 1 version 4.38. This is the last
chipset that was release for KT133A chip. Programs like Divx won't work this
anything after 4.38.

Download it here:

"[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
> says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
> because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
> card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
> driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
>
> This Computer:
> -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> -New Security Updates
>
> Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
> Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
>
> -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
>
> This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Check this forum for more help.
http://forums.sudhian.com/index.cfm?FTVAR_SUBCAT=68&noc...
"John Luna" <jluna_18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o sfOhRbSEHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I just look up your MB you are using the same VIA chipset that I am using.
> This means that you sure be using VIA 4 in 1 version 4.38. This is the
last
> chipset that was release for KT133A chip. Programs like Divx won't work
this
> anything after 4.38.
>
> Download it here:
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=349
>
> "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
> > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
> > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
> > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
> > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
> > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
> > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
> >
> > This Computer:
> > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
> > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
> > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
> > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
> > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
> > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
> > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
> > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
> > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
> > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
> > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
> > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
> > -New Security Updates
> >
> > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
> > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
> >
> > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
> > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
> > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
> > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
> > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
> > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
> > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
> >
> > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
> > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 7:09:24 PM

http://forums.sudhian.com/index.cfm?nocookies=yes
news:o 4OzqZbSEHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...