AMD Athlon XP 1700+

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?

This Computer:
-GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
-MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
-(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
-Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
-(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
-Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
-MSI AC'97 On board Audio
-nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
-(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
-Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
-Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
-Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
-New Security Updates

Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
Photoshop. The software I have tried is:

-HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
-Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
-Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
-The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
-Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
-Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
-James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)

This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about athlon 1700
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    You don't mention what you've tried, updating the chipset drivers, changing
    the graphic card drivers. Have you tried that? I'd check the MSI web site
    and see if there are any updates, and also go to www.nvidia.com for the
    graphics card drivers.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
    > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
    > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it says
    > "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem, because it
    > sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video card may
    > have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA driver as
    > the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    >
    > This Computer:
    > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > -New Security Updates
    >
    > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe Photoshop.
    > The software I have tried is:
    >
    > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    >
    > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Reinstall nVidia's display drivers.

    --
    Chris Lanier
    Microsoft MVP - Digital Media
    "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
    > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
    > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
    > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
    > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
    > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
    > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    >
    > This Computer:
    > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > -New Security Updates
    >
    > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
    > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
    >
    > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    >
    > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

    "UN-KNOWN CPU", Seems like your CPU is running a little
    faster than it should This will cause problems in games &
    graphics programs (been there)

    :- AMD 1.7 Athlon runs around @ 1446MHz not 1533MHz,an
    AMD 1.8 runs around @1533. Check to see if you have your
    Dip-Switches set correctly on your mainboard to produce
    the correct running frequency & voltage. if you have a
    Mainboard that support "RedStorm" overclocking utility,(
    IN BIOS settings under frequency) set you CPU back to
    default:
    DEFAULT:-
    CPU INTENAL FREQUENCY = 133.3MHz
    PCI FREQUENCY = 33.3 MHz
    FSB FREQUENCY = 266MHz
    ------------------------------------

    AMD packing info:

    on the top side of the CPU ( good idea to right this down
    before installing CPU) it`ll say something like:
    (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)(7)(8)
    Ax Dx 1700 D L T 3 C

    [1]
    Ax = AMD ATHLON TYPE ?x
    Dx = DURON TYPE?x
    [2]
    Dx = DESKTOP COMPUTER (cpu type)
    [3]
    1700 = RUNNING SPEED
    [4]
    (PACKING TYPE)
    A = PGA D= OPGA {M =CARD MODULE}
    [5]
    OPERATING VOLTAGE
    M = 1.75v N=1.8v
    {S=1.5v U=1.6v P=1.7v }
    [6]
    CASE TEMP
    T=90 deg "c" S=95 deg "c"
    [7]
    SIZE OF THE L2 CACHE
    1= 64Kbyte 2=128Kbyte 3= 256Kbyte

    [8]
    MAX FSB
    A or B= 200Mhz C or OTHERS= 266Mhz

    Further info :

    http://www.amd.com/us-
    en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Electrical_Speci
    fication_Rev04_ENG.pdf

    Have a nice day

    Storm

    PS, check to see if your onboard Sound has been turned
    off in the BIOS, uninstall your AC97 drivers, they dont
    like creative soundblaster drivers much, re-install your
    creative drivers:

    Check in the BIOS also, that your AGP memory appeture
    isnt larger than twice the memory of your graphics card,
    eg:64meg card = Max appeture size of 128meg, infact i
    wouldn`t take it much higher than 128 even if it was a
    128 card.

    try your AGP slot running @ x4 to see if that helps.
    sometimes it does.
    -
    99.999% certain its your AMD CPU over clocked to 1533
    instead of running @1446 though.

    Later

    >------End of Message------<

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Chris H. wrote:
    > You don't mention what you've tried, updating the chipset drivers, changing
    > the graphic card drivers. Have you tried that? I'd check the MSI web site
    > and see if there are any updates, and also go to www.nvidia.com for the
    > graphics card drivers.

    Thank you for your assistance Chris. I would like to say I have tried
    the following updates:

    nVIDIA GeForce4 Display Adapter
    Windows XP Professional SP1
    Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value Drivers
    MSI Mainboard software
    All Drivers
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Did you flash the BIOS to the most current version? How much RAM do you
    have?
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/bios_result.asp

    The "Unknown CPU" is normal for MB that where not design for Athlon XP but
    were later patch with a BIOS update. My Abit KT7A-Raid is the same way. I
    just resently added a 1800+ cpu and FX5200 video card. I have to twitch the
    BIOS settings and free up more memory by not allowing unnessary programs to
    run. This fix a lot of the issues I was having. With the new hardware and
    the games I am playing I am now getting ready to add more RAM. I only have
    384 PC100 Ram. I will be upgrading to 1 GB of PC133. This should fix any
    problems I am currently having.

    "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
    > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
    > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
    > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
    > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
    > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
    > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    >
    > This Computer:
    > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > -New Security Updates
    >
    > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
    > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
    >
    > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    >
    > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I just look up your MB you are using the same VIA chipset that I am using.
    This means that you sure be using VIA 4 in 1 version 4.38. This is the last
    chipset that was release for KT133A chip. Programs like Divx won't work this
    anything after 4.38.

    Download it here:

    "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
    > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
    > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
    > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
    > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
    > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
    > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    >
    > This Computer:
    > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > -New Security Updates
    >
    > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
    > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
    >
    > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    >
    > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Check this forum for more help.
    http://forums.sudhian.com/index.cfm?FTVAR_SUBCAT=68&nocookies=y&subcatname=SFF%20TECH
    "John Luna" <jluna_18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just look up your MB you are using the same VIA chipset that I am using.
    > This means that you sure be using VIA 4 in 1 version 4.38. This is the
    last
    > chipset that was release for KT133A chip. Programs like Divx won't work
    this
    > anything after 4.38.
    >
    > Download it here:
    > http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=349
    >
    > "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and it
    > > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS says
    > > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
    > > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
    > > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my video
    > > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
    > > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > This Computer:
    > > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > > -New Security Updates
    > >
    > > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
    > > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
    > >
    > > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    > >
    > > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.games,microsoft.public.technet,microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    http://forums.sudhian.com/index.cfm?nocookies=yes
    > Check this forum for more help.

    http://forums.sudhian.com/index.cfm?FTVAR_SUBCAT=68&nocookies=y&subcatname=SFF%20TECH
    > "John Luna" <jluna_18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just look up your MB you are using the same VIA chipset that I am
    using.
    > > This means that you sure be using VIA 4 in 1 version 4.38. This is the
    > last
    > > chipset that was release for KT133A chip. Programs like Divx won't work
    > this
    > > anything after 4.38.
    > >
    > > Download it here:
    > > http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=349
    > >
    > > "[UltGC] Administration Center" <host@ultgcgaming.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello, I am currently having a problem that I can't seem to fix, and
    it
    > > > seems to crash applications. When I first start the computer, BIOS
    says
    > > > that I have an "Unknow CPU Type 1533MHz". When Windows detects CPU it
    > > > says "Unknow CPU Type" as well. I can't seem to fix this problem,
    > > > because it sometimes causes a BSOD with a "STOP" error. I think my
    video
    > > > card may have some problems too, because some times it lists an nVIDIA
    > > > driver as the "STOP" error. Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > This Computer:
    > > > -GenuineAMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.53GHz
    > > > -MSI K7T TURBO2 Mainboard
    > > > -(Brand New!) Western Digital WD400 40GB 7200RPM 4MB Cache
    > > > -Mitsumi DVD-ROM Drive
    > > > -(Disconnected) Iomega Internal IDE ZIP100
    > > > -Standard NEC 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive
    > > > -MSI AC'97 On board Audio
    > > > -nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with AGP8X
    > > > -(Primary) Creative SoundBlaster Live! WDM Value
    > > > -Agere Systems Standard 56K Communication Device
    > > > -Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
    > > > -Windows XP Professional SP1 Corporate
    > > > -New Security Updates
    > > >
    > > > Mainly, these problems occur when playing games, or using Adobe
    > > > Photoshop. The software I have tried is:
    > > >
    > > > -HALO: Combat Evolved (WILL NOT START!)
    > > > -Unreal Tournament 2003 (nv4_disp.dll error!)
    > > > -Grand Theft Auto III (Unexpected Exception!)
    > > > -The Thing (BSOD in middle of game!)
    > > > -Adobe Photoshop 6 (System hangs and reboots.)
    > > > -Quake III Arena (Game just hangs and exits in game.)
    > > > -James Bond 007: Nightfire (WILL NOT START!)
    > > >
    > > > This is very annoying, as I just installed Windows XP for the 20,000th
    > > > time, and if you could help it would be appreciated.

Video Microsoft Windows XP