Using a separate power supply on an internal HDD?

I occasionally need to temporarily connect internal
HDDs to my PC for testing, to recover data, etc.
I don't have any extra power connectors in my PC
and the ones that are already connected to other
drives are *really* difficult to remove.
I have an extra AT power supply with a typical
AT on/off switch. Would it be OK to power a HDD
that I want to test with the extra power supply while
it is connected to one of the ribbon data cables
connected to the HDD controller on the motherboard
in my computer? Does the ribbon cable carry any
power feedback info, or is independent of any
power issues? I wouldn't want do this if it could
cause any hardware damage or data corruption.

Thanks,

Art V.

---

In article <10k05c8c4imn2e2@corp.supernews.com>,
artvan@nospam.net says...
> I occasionally need to temporarily connect internal
> HDDs to my PC for testing, to recover data, etc.
> I don't have any extra power connectors in my PC
> and the ones that are already connected to other
> drives are *really* difficult to remove.
> I have an extra AT power supply with a typical
> AT on/off switch. Would it be OK to power a HDD
> that I want to test with the extra power supply while
> it is connected to one of the ribbon data cables
> connected to the HDD controller on the motherboard
> in my computer? Does the ribbon cable carry any
> power feedback info, or is independent of any
> power issues? I wouldn't want do this if it could
> cause any hardware damage or data corruption.

AT or ATX? ATX power-supplies won't turn on unless you
jumper together two wires on the motherboard power
connector.

I've hooked drives up to power supplies in another
system, it's one way of testing whether you have too
much power draw for the P/S in the box to handle. I
just make sure that both machines are plugged into the
same wall circuit.

In article <MPG.1baa38e169d0431398997b@news.giganews.com>,
Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote:
>In article <10k05c8c4imn2e2@corp.supernews.com>,
>artvan@nospam.net says...
>> I occasionally need to temporarily connect internal
>> HDDs to my PC for testing, to recover data, etc.
>> I don't have any extra power connectors in my PC
>> and the ones that are already connected to other
>> drives are *really* difficult to remove.
>> I have an extra AT power supply with a typical
>> AT on/off switch. Would it be OK to power a HDD
>> that I want to test with the extra power supply while
>> it is connected to one of the ribbon data cables
>> connected to the HDD controller on the motherboard
>> in my computer? Does the ribbon cable carry any
>> power feedback info, or is independent of any
>> power issues? I wouldn't want do this if it could
>> cause any hardware damage or data corruption.
>
>AT or ATX? ATX power-supplies won't turn on unless you
>jumper together two wires on the motherboard power
>connector.
>
>I've hooked drives up to power supplies in another
>system, it's one way of testing whether you have too
>much power draw for the P/S in the box to handle. I
>just make sure that both machines are plugged into the
>same wall circuit.

Buy a "Y" cable that breaks out more power plugs, for about a buck.

I wouldn't power a IDE disk on a second PSU if it had the only copy of
some improtant files. SInce ATA is designed for hotswap (IDE isn't) I
expect that it's much more resistant to imperfect power.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <MPG.1baa38e169d0431398997b@news.giganews.com>,
> Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>In article <10k05c8c4imn2e2@corp.supernews.com>,
>>artvan@nospam.net says...
>>> I occasionally need to temporarily connect internal
>>> HDDs to my PC for testing, to recover data, etc.
>>> I don't have any extra power connectors in my PC
>>> and the ones that are already connected to other
>>> drives are *really* difficult to remove.
>>> I have an extra AT power supply with a typical
>>> AT on/off switch. Would it be OK to power a HDD
>>> that I want to test with the extra power supply while
>>> it is connected to one of the ribbon data cables
>>> connected to the HDD controller on the motherboard
>>> in my computer? Does the ribbon cable carry any
>>> power feedback info, or is independent of any
>>> power issues? I wouldn't want do this if it could
>>> cause any hardware damage or data corruption.
>>
>>AT or ATX? ATX power-supplies won't turn on unless you
>>jumper together two wires on the motherboard power
>>connector.
>>
>>I've hooked drives up to power supplies in another
>>system, it's one way of testing whether you have too
>>much power draw for the P/S in the box to handle. I
>>just make sure that both machines are plugged into the
>>same wall circuit.
>

> Buy a "Y" cable that breaks out more power plugs, for about a buck.
>
> I wouldn't power a IDE disk on a second PSU if it had the only copy of
> some improtant files. SInce ATA is designed for hotswap (IDE isn't) I
> expect that it's much more resistant to imperfect power.

*Serial* ATA is designed to hot swap. Parallel isn't.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

In article <chq0es01jp9@news4.newsguy.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Al Dykes wrote:
>
>> In article <MPG.1baa38e169d0431398997b@news.giganews.com>,
>> Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>>In article <10k05c8c4imn2e2@corp.supernews.com>,
>>>artvan@nospam.net says...
>>>
>>>AT or ATX? ATX power-supplies won't turn on unless you
>>>jumper together two wires on the motherboard power
>>>connector.
>>>
>>>I've hooked drives up to power supplies in another
>>>system, it's one way of testing whether you have too
>>>much power draw for the P/S in the box to handle. I
>>>just make sure that both machines are plugged into the
>>>same wall circuit.
>>

>> Buy a "Y" cable that breaks out more power plugs, for about a buck.
>>
>> I wouldn't power a IDE disk on a second PSU if it had the only copy of
>> some improtant files. SInce ATA is designed for hotswap (IDE isn't) I
>> expect that it's much more resistant to imperfect power.
>
>*Serial* ATA is designed to hot swap. Parallel isn't.
>--John

Right. Thanks.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:chq0es01jp9@news4.newsguy.com
> Al Dykes wrote:
> > In article MPG.1baa38e169d0431398997b@news.giganews.com, Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote:
> > > In article 10k05c8c4imn2e2@corp.supernews.com, artvan@nospam.net says...
> > >
> > > AT or ATX? ATX power-supplies won't turn on unless you
> > > jumper together two wires on the motherboard power
> > > connector.
> > >
> > > I've hooked drives up to power supplies in another
> > > system, it's one way of testing whether you have too
> > > much power draw for the P/S in the box to handle. I
> > > just make sure that both machines are plugged into the
> > > same wall circuit.
> >

> > Buy a "Y" cable that breaks out more power plugs, for about a buck.
> >
> > I wouldn't power a IDE disk on a second PSU if it had the only copy of
> > some improtant files. SInce ATA is designed for hotswap (IDE isn't) I
> > expect that it's much more resistant to imperfect power.
>
> *Serial* ATA is designed to hot swap. Parallel isn't.

Geez, as if anything else in those sentences made any sense.

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Al Dykes wrote:

> > > Buy a "Y" cable that breaks out more power plugs, for about a buck.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't power a IDE disk on a second PSU if it had the only copy of
> > > some improtant files. SInce ATA is designed for hotswap (IDE isn't) I
> > > expect that it's much more resistant to imperfect power.
> >
> > *Serial* ATA is designed to hot swap. Parallel isn't.
>
> Geez, as if anything else in those sentences made any sense.

So why not correct them and provide your own answers to
my questions? :eek:)

Thanks,

Art V.

---