Help! Connecting to wirless broadband in UK

May 6, 2004 8:15:25 PM

I'm a proud new owner of an HP iPAQ 4150 with built-in wirless and
Bluetooth. I also have a wireless home network through which I access my BT
Openworld broadband Internet account. One of the reasons for buying the 4150
was the hope that I could use the home wireless system to connect it to the
Internet.

I've tried evrything I can think of but so far had zero luck in establishing
a connection. I'm baffled by VPN, Internet and Work settings, can't get it
to recognise my wirless modem/router - in short totally confused and about
to sling the whole lot in the river!

Is there any kindly UK soul out there who has managed to successfully
connect their PPC to the Internet wirelessly who could give me a few
pointers (in very simple terms) and/or could suggest other sources of
information I could explore?

The life of my iPAQ is in your hands! Any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Rick
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:27:21 PM

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:15:25 +0000 (UTC), Rick Burton <rb22@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> I'm a proud new owner of an HP iPAQ 4150 with built-in wirless and
> Bluetooth. I also have a wireless home network through which I access my
> BT
> Openworld broadband Internet account. One of the reasons for buying the
> 4150
> was the hope that I could use the home wireless system to connect it to
> the
> Internet.
>
> I've tried evrything I can think of but so far had zero luck in
> establishing
> a connection. I'm baffled by VPN, Internet and Work settings, can't get
> it
> to recognise my wirless modem/router - in short totally confused and
> about
> to sling the whole lot in the river!
>
> Is there any kindly UK soul out there who has managed to successfully
> connect their PPC to the Internet wirelessly who could give me a few
> pointers (in very simple terms) and/or could suggest other sources of
> information I could explore?
>
> The life of my iPAQ is in your hands! Any help would be gratefully
> received.
>
> Cheers,
> Rick

hmmm...here's what I think is the quickest method. go download the trial
for
WiNC (http://www.cirond.com/site/products/wifispotter.htm) - good utility
you
might even decide to keep it. Run that, it should sniff out your router
and prompt you to make a connection. This SHOULD happen naturally anyway,
but it will at least let you know if your router is broadcasting to where
you can find it

--
Brad Isaac
editor, www.pocketpcaddict.com

"Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm a proud new owner of an HP iPAQ 4150 with built-in wirless and
> Bluetooth. I also have a wireless home network through which I access my
BT
> Openworld broadband Internet account. One of the reasons for buying the
4150
> was the hope that I could use the home wireless system to connect it to
the
> Internet.
>
> I've tried evrything I can think of but so far had zero luck in
establishing
> a connection. I'm baffled by VPN, Internet and Work settings, can't get it
> to recognise my wirless modem/router - in short totally confused and about
> to sling the whole lot in the river!
>
> Is there any kindly UK soul out there who has managed to successfully
> connect their PPC to the Internet wirelessly who could give me a few
> pointers (in very simple terms) and/or could suggest other sources of
> information I could explore?

Don't give up. I've done it, it works.

You need to make a connection from your iPAQ to the router, not the Internet
directly. How are you currently using your WiFi network? Do you know the IP
address of your router on the WiFi LAN?

Forget about VPN etc - for connecting an iPAQ to the 'net via a WiFi
network, you won't need these.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk
May 8, 2004 12:57:25 AM

"Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I'm a proud new owner of an HP iPAQ 4150 with built-in wirless and
> Bluetooth. I also have a wireless home network through which I access my
BT
> Openworld broadband Internet account. One of the reasons for buying the
4150
> was the hope that I could use the home wireless system to connect it to
the
> Internet.
>
> I've tried evrything I can think of but so far had zero luck in
establishing
> a connection. I'm baffled by VPN, Internet and Work settings, can't get it
> to recognise my wirless modem/router - in short totally confused and about
> to sling the whole lot in the river!
>
> Is there any kindly UK soul out there who has managed to successfully
> connect their PPC to the Internet wirelessly who could give me a few
> pointers (in very simple terms) and/or could suggest other sources of
> information I could explore?
>
> The life of my iPAQ is in your hands! Any help would be gratefully
received.

> Cheers,
> Rick

Thanks guys. Your advice has enabled me to successfully connect my iPAQ to
my wireless network. I still don't really understand how I did it, but hey
it works!

Cheers,
Rick
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 3:03:59 AM

"Steve at fivetrees" <steve@NOSPAMTAfivetrees.com> wrote in message
news:o eydnYWsUIHv8QfdRVn-tA@nildram.net...
> "Rick Burton" <rb22@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a proud new owner of an HP iPAQ 4150 with built-in wirless and
> > Bluetooth. I also have a wireless home network through which I access my
> BT
> > Openworld broadband Internet account. One of the reasons for buying the
> 4150
> > was the hope that I could use the home wireless system to connect it to
> the
> > Internet.
> >
> > I've tried evrything I can think of but so far had zero luck in
> establishing
> > a connection. I'm baffled by VPN, Internet and Work settings, can't get
it
> > to recognise my wirless modem/router - in short totally confused and
about
> > to sling the whole lot in the river!
> >
> > Is there any kindly UK soul out there who has managed to successfully
> > connect their PPC to the Internet wirelessly who could give me a few
> > pointers (in very simple terms) and/or could suggest other sources of
> > information I could explore?
>
> Don't give up. I've done it, it works.
>
> You need to make a connection from your iPAQ to the router, not the
Internet
> directly. How are you currently using your WiFi network? Do you know the
IP
> address of your router on the WiFi LAN?
>
> Forget about VPN etc - for connecting an iPAQ to the 'net via a WiFi
> network, you won't need these.
>
> Steve
> http://www.fivetrees.com
> http://www.sfdesign.co.uk

Steve, thanks for coming to the rescue! I did happen to know the IP address
of my router and - not knowing exactly what I did - when I enetered it into
my iPAQ I got a connection immediately! Talk about blind luck.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Rick
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 5:58:08 AM

> Steve, thanks for coming to the rescue! I did happen to know the IP
address
> of my router and - not knowing exactly what I did - when I enetered it
into
> my iPAQ I got a connection immediately! Talk about blind luck.
>
> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Wahay! Glad it helped.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com
http://www.sfdesign.co.uk