Windows 7 startup problems- IN NEED OF HELP

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hi guys, I have had this problem for quite a while now and have just left it. I did post a question asking for help on it before but got no replys and am still no closer to finding out what to do.

Anyway my problem is that windows 7 is starting up really slowly- My PC isn't exactly weak either:
amd x4 955@ stock 3.2ghz
gtx 470 graphics card
4gb ddr3 1333mhz ram

So as you can see it should not boot slowly. Here is a more detailed description of what happens: I start up my pc and just before the login screen I get a black screen and just the cursor with a loading symbol for a couple of seconds, then when it reaches the login screen I login and the welcome screen takes ages to load then it finally comes to windows 7. When I'm actually in my icons do not appear straight away for some reason and the windows 7 network manager icon locks up and stays on the connecting icon (the image is stationary and frozen and the animation does not show).After about 10 seconds the network manger unfreezes and the icons all slowly appear, after everything has started up I have no problems whatsoever.

I am completely stumped as to what to do. I have tried reinstalling the network driver and graphics driver but that didn't work so I have come to you guys for help.
Fast responses would be appreciated, thanks.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
What Antivirus software are you using. I had MSE (Mircosoft Security Essentials) on my desktop and it made problem after problem. My netbook is fine with it, but my Dell e510 doesnt seem to like Windows 7 (And MSE)...

Go to Msconfig, then startup, and uncheck EVERYTHING. See if it boots any faster (If it does, add one by one to see which triggers the slow boot). How much of your hard drive is free?

Have you ran a virus check? Have you updated? Are all your cables pushed in all the way?

Try booting with only one stick of RAM to see if your RAM is defective....

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I am using AVG free and MBAM. I have tried disabling eveything running at startup and it makes no difference whatsoever. All the cables are plugged in correctly and I have ran a virus check and have no viruses. I also have scanned my RAM with the windows 7 memory test and found no problems. Also I am about 90% sure that it is a software issue as I had previously dual booted ubuntu with windows 7 and ubuntu never had the problem but windows 7 did, please note the problem happened before ubuntu was installed. Lastly I have plenty of hard drive space: 353gb free of 465gb.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Try a windows repair... Boot with the windows disk, then click repair when it loads... See if that fixes anything (If it does decect a problem it could take up to several hours to fix, so it IS doing things even if it doesnt look like it)

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I don't currently have the windows 7 disk with me unfortunately so is there something else I can do? Also I just found that if I don't login straight away and stay at the login screen for about 20-30 seconds, when I login I do not get any of the problems.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I regularly defrag my harddrive so I don't think it will be fragmentation. But I think i'll try that program you mentioned and see what I find. I will post if I have any luck.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
well I just enabled the guest account and logged in several times with that and it didn't have the problem!! But it did do something weird- it made the noise that windows makes when you plug something in- it made the noise twice. While it made this noise the icons changed to blank icons and then back to normal icons, but this only happened for 1 or 2 seconds though.

Any ideas??? - am going to try soluto now as well.

EDIT: I may have fixed it for now, if it happens again I will let you guys know.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Well it would appear the problem is not solved as it did it again several times today- although I did try uninstalling AVG and that gave the startup a speedboost, but I still got the freezing network manager icon and the icons kept disappearing until the network manager unfroze. So I am thinking that it is a multitude of applications causing the problem, but it is a weird problem because sometimes I don't get it at all. I am returning home today and will be able to try using the repair function on the windows 7 disk and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thanks for all your help so far.

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
try disconnecting your network cable/wireless router from your PC and rebooting
also try removing anything in system32 folder (all DLLs) starting with AVG, aparently AVG does not remove all its drivers from your PC when uninstalled

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
After looking and trying all sorts of things I still have had no luck. I think the only option is to reformat, which is something I don't really want to do. I have found that my startup time is actually relatively normal, but the hanging on login seems rather odd. I think I'll just cope with it for now and if it really does become a serious problem I will reformat to fix it.

Thanks for all your help guys, if you still think you have an idea on how to fix it please post still and I will try and see if your solution works.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I did try soluto and disabling certain things did seem to make a difference but i couldn't be 100% sure because the problem doesn't always happen, so after disabling what I thought was causing the problem it happened again =(.

Also you cannot repair windows 7, there is no option to repair windows 7 only the startup files themselves can be reapired which I did try and it found nothing wrong with them.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Nope, that repair goes through the drivers and such, its fixed several USB driver issues, several audio driver issues, and a large scale video card driver issue. Any ways it goes through everything... If you clicked the right thing :).

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Yes I have reinstalled my anti-virus and I also ran startup repair by restarting into the windows advanced boot options menu and selecting repair windows. The options that come up in repair windows are the same ones that come up when you boot from the disk to repair windows. I could use a registry cleaner I guess but it sounds a bit dangerous, I don't really want to risk breaking my computer even further :S.

matt101

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I was just thinking about my problem and then I remembered windows has the checkdisk tool, I have no idea what it solved but it seems to be working though. Although don't unsubscribe from the thread yet as it might just be another false fix because it doesn't happen all the time.... anyway.

I'm restarting my computer now and will do several times to confirm the problem is fixed.

EDIT: It happened again =(