Cloning Two Drives/Multiple Part's to One New Drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
September 11, 2004 3:44:09 PM

Hi folks:

I would appreciate any expert advice on how to get this done efficiently,
and safely under Windows 2000.

I have two existing drives: 1) 40GB C-drive single partition, and 2) 60GB
drive with partitions G (30GB), H (15GB) and I (15)

Today I am buying a new 160GB drive to replace both as I'm trying to cut
down on heat, noise and power consumption in my box. I intend on putting
this drive onto the master of the secondary IDE channel, temporaryily
removing one of my burners from the system. Then I want to copy the four
partitions to the new drive, swap out the older drives, put the new drive on
the master of the primary IDE channel, then HOPEFULLY have everything up and
running again......

My intent is to have all of the above "drives" put onto the one disk as
C(40GB), G(80GB), H(15GB) and I(25GB). Does anyone have any suggestion for
how to complete this task? I have Drive Image 2002 and Norton Ghost 2003. I
have never used either piece of software for cloning/migrating before.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

--
FRP
frpyatt-@-yahoo.ca

Frank Pyatt wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> I would appreciate any expert advice on how to get this done efficiently,
> and safely under Windows 2000.
>
> I have two existing drives: 1) 40GB C-drive single partition, and 2) 60GB
> drive with partitions G (30GB), H (15GB) and I (15)

Clone the drive using your software of choice.
Then copy the entire contents of the other drive's partitions using
something like:
xcopy /s /c /h /e /r /k <source:> <dest:>

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 11, 2004 9:11:06 PM

"Frank Pyatt" <frpyatt@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:D 3F0d.35129$lP4.2365440@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi folks:
>
> I would appreciate any expert advice on how to get this done efficiently,
> and safely under Windows 2000.
>
> I have two existing drives: 1) 40GB C-drive single partition, and 2)
60GB
> drive with partitions G (30GB), H (15GB) and I (15)
>
> Today I am buying a new 160GB drive to replace both as I'm trying to cut
> down on heat, noise and power consumption in my box. I intend on putting
> this drive onto the master of the secondary IDE channel, temporaryily
> removing one of my burners from the system. Then I want to copy the four
> partitions to the new drive, swap out the older drives, put the new drive
on
> the master of the primary IDE channel, then HOPEFULLY have everything up
and
> running again......
>
> My intent is to have all of the above "drives" put onto the one disk as
> C(40GB), G(80GB), H(15GB) and I(25GB). Does anyone have any suggestion
for
> how to complete this task? I have Drive Image 2002 and Norton Ghost 2003.
> have never used either piece of software for cloning/migrating before.
>
> Thanks in advance for all suggestions.
>
> --
> FRP
> frpyatt-@-yahoo.ca

Ghost 2003 should work fine, just follow the instructions. You can clone the
first drive to the new drive and modify the size to allow free space for the
other partitions. Then coy the partitions from the 60Gb ont the new drive,
one at a time.
Mike.