Which program will fill these backup needs?

Tags:
  • Backup
  • Windows XP
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
Share
September 12, 2004 2:41:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the following:

1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP Pro
on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then that's
fine too.

2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they can
be later burned onto disk(s).

3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the original
source.

4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery operation..

5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
partition on a designated disk, or

5b) Be able to recover from within Windows

Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered a
bonus.

Thanks for your help.

More about : program fill backup

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 3:36:52 PM

Tony wrote:

> I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the following:

I have done all of the following with Acronis TrueImage. Assuming that
by 5b) you mean that you can extract files from the image from within
Windows.

If you have SATA or other slightly uncommon hardware, you *may* have
trouble with the rescue CD, as it is Linux-based and depends on the
availability of Linux device drivers. I believe there is a trial
version which should let you test this out.

-WD

> 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
> files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP Pro
> on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
> reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
> be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then that's
> fine too.
>
> 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they can
> be later burned onto disk(s).
>
> 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the original
> source.
>
> 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery operation..
>
> 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
> drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> partition on a designated disk, or
>
> 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
>
> Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered a
> bonus.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 4:33:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Retrospect, see www.dantz.com, allows one to create a disaster recovery CD
(not sure about DVD) so you can restore without reloading the OS.

For Win XP, Retrospect includes open file backup to take advantage of Win
XP's volume shadowing.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
following:

> 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
> files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP
Pro
> on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
> reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it
cannot
> be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then that's
> fine too.
>
> 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they can
> be later burned onto disk(s).
>
> 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
original
> source.
>
> 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery operation..
>
> 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
> drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> partition on a designated disk, or
>
> 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
>
> Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered
> bonus.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Related resources
September 12, 2004 4:52:45 PM

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Tony wrote:
>
> > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
following:

> I have done all of the following with Acronis TrueImage. Assuming that
> by 5b) you mean that you can extract files from the image from within
> Windows.
>
> If you have SATA or other slightly uncommon hardware, you *may* have
> trouble with the rescue CD, as it is Linux-based and depends on the
> availability of Linux device drivers. I believe there is a trial
> version which should let you test this out.
>

> -WD

Thanks for the recommendation, Will. I did look at both TI and Dantz. The TI
forum on the Acronis website got me a little worried, however. It sounds
like v.8 has some real issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?
September 12, 2004 4:53:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Yes, I looked at Retrospect. Will it work with DVD sized chunks?

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> Retrospect, see www.dantz.com, allows one to create a disaster recovery CD
> (not sure about DVD) so you can restore without reloading the OS.
>
> For Win XP, Retrospect includes open file backup to take advantage of Win
> XP's volume shadowing.
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
> following:
> >
> > 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
> > files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP
> Pro
> > on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
> > reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it
> cannot
> > be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then
that's
> > fine too.
> >
> > 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they
can
> > be later burned onto disk(s).
> >
> > 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
> original
> > source.
> >
> > 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery
operation..

> > 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
> > drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> > partition on a designated disk, or
> >
> > 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
> >
> > Other features like incremental / differential backup would be
considered
> > bonus.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 8:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

I don't know what you mean by "DVD sized chunks".
Retrospect allows you to back up your files:

1. Into a "backup set", just like other backup programs. The backup set can
span media and uses an intelligent incremental backup algorithm.

2. You can create a "duplicate" back up set, which is, as I recall, little
more than copying the files.

--
> Yes, I looked at Retrospect. Will it work with DVD sized chunks?
>
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > Retrospect, see www.dantz.com, allows one to create a disaster recovery
CD
> > (not sure about DVD) so you can restore without reloading the OS.
> >
> > For Win XP, Retrospect includes open file backup to take advantage of
Win
> > XP's volume shadowing.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
> > following:
> > >
> > > 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files,
open
> > > files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within
XP
> > Pro
> > > on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops
/
> > > reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it
> > cannot
> > > be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then
> that's
> > > fine too.
> > >
> > > 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they
> can
> > > be later burned onto disk(s).
> > >
> > > 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
> > original
> > > source.
> > >
> > > 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery
> operation..
> > >
> > > 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB
external
> > > drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> > > partition on a designated disk, or
> > >
> > > 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
> > >
> > > Other features like incremental / differential backup would be
> considered
> > > bonus.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.

September 12, 2004 9:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

I guess what I meant to say was, can it create a backup in a series of files
that are each of a size that will fit on a DVD? I understand that some
programs can do that. Once the backup is complete the files can then each be
burned on to its own DVD for storage / archival purposes.

> I don't know what you mean by "DVD sized chunks".
> Retrospect allows you to back up your files:
>
> 1. Into a "backup set", just like other backup programs. The backup set
can
> span media and uses an intelligent incremental backup algorithm.
>
> 2. You can create a "duplicate" back up set, which is, as I recall, little
> more than copying the files.
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I looked at Retrospect. Will it work with DVD sized chunks?
> >
> > "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > > Retrospect, see www.dantz.com, allows one to create a disaster
recovery
> CD
> > > (not sure about DVD) so you can restore without reloading the OS.
> > >
> > > For Win XP, Retrospect includes open file backup to take advantage of
> Win
> > > XP's volume shadowing.
> > >
> > > --
> > > http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> > > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > following:

> open
> XP
> > > Pro
> /
> > > cannot
> > that's

> > can

> > > original

> > operation..

> external

> > considered

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 9:27:05 PM

Tony wrote:
> Thanks for the recommendation, Will. I did look at both TI and Dantz. The TI
> forum on the Acronis website got me a little worried, however. It sounds
> like v.8 has some real issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?

I'm a regular on the forums and have been reading probably the same
messages that you have been. One of the things that has been
frustrating people is Acronis's decision to make the software go to
version 8. The changes to the software are pretty trivial, and it
should have been a free "7.1" upgrade release, if anything. But that's
marketing for yah...

I do use TrueImage 8 myself, and I am happy with it.
The issues that I have run into with ATI 8 include:

- Backup compression setting seems to be "off by one" ("high" =
"normal", "normal" = "minimal", etc.) I'm not sure if this is in all
situations, but I have seen it myself.

- File splitting size in ATI8 now uses Gibibytes, rather than Gigabytes.
In other words, a "2GB" file will not fit on a DVD ISO9660 filesystem.
You'd need to specify "1.9GB" for it to fit. Not sure why they
changed this, and if it was on purpose.

- Scheduled backups seem to have some sort of quirk with authentication
with network mapped drive letters. As a work-around, I just use the
UNC name to connect to.

- At least in a VMWare virtual machine, the boot CD doesn't seem to
recognize media changes. As a result, I could not successfully restore
a multi-CD backup. I have a feeling that this is some VMWare-specific
quirk. I haven't gotten around to testing it out on my *real* machine.
My C: drive backups fit onto a single DVD, so I have not run into this
problem myself.

Those issues aside, ATI8 has worked fine for me. The workarounds for
the above issues are trivial, also.

The other reported issues with Acronis True Image are:
- The rescue CD is linux-based. So if your hardware isn't (well)
supported by Linux, then you *may* experience problems with it.
- Acronis Support is supposedly sub-par.

I think the software is great. I forget what functionality might be
limited in the trial version, but I suggest that you give it a shot.
I've been somewhat less likely to recommend TrueImage lately, however,
because of how they released version 8 of the software. If they want
to save face, they'll release a bug fix update soon for the above issues.

-WD
September 12, 2004 11:14:31 PM

> Tony wrote:
> > Thanks for the recommendation, Will. I did look at both TI and Dantz.
The TI
> > forum on the Acronis website got me a little worried, however. It sounds
> > like v.8 has some real issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?
>
> I'm a regular on the forums and have been reading probably the same
> messages that you have been. One of the things that has been
> frustrating people is Acronis's decision to make the software go to
> version 8. The changes to the software are pretty trivial, and it
> should have been a free "7.1" upgrade release, if anything. But that's
> marketing for yah...
>
> I do use TrueImage 8 myself, and I am happy with it.
> The issues that I have run into with ATI 8 include:
>
> - Backup compression setting seems to be "off by one" ("high" =
> "normal", "normal" = "minimal", etc.) I'm not sure if this is in all
> situations, but I have seen it myself.
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45531
>
> - File splitting size in ATI8 now uses Gibibytes, rather than Gigabytes.
> In other words, a "2GB" file will not fit on a DVD ISO9660 filesystem.
> You'd need to specify "1.9GB" for it to fit. Not sure why they
> changed this, and if it was on purpose.
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=46541
>
> - Scheduled backups seem to have some sort of quirk with authentication
> with network mapped drive letters. As a work-around, I just use the
> UNC name to connect to.
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44593
>
> - At least in a VMWare virtual machine, the boot CD doesn't seem to
> recognize media changes. As a result, I could not successfully restore
> a multi-CD backup. I have a feeling that this is some VMWare-specific
> quirk. I haven't gotten around to testing it out on my *real* machine.
> My C: drive backups fit onto a single DVD, so I have not run into this
> problem myself.
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=47441
>

> Those issues aside, ATI8 has worked fine for me. The workarounds for
> the above issues are trivial, also.
>
> The other reported issues with Acronis True Image are:
> - The rescue CD is linux-based. So if your hardware isn't (well)
> supported by Linux, then you *may* experience problems with it.
> - Acronis Support is supposedly sub-par.
>
> I think the software is great. I forget what functionality might be
> limited in the trial version, but I suggest that you give it a shot.
> I've been somewhat less likely to recommend TrueImage lately, however,
> because of how they released version 8 of the software. If they want
> to save face, they'll release a bug fix update soon for the above issues.
>

> -WD

Thanks again, Will. The workarounds you've provided make TI v.8 less of a
worry than I originally thought. Time to take a test drive!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 11:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

In message <EamdnULwIuxH49ncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
writes

>I did look at both TI and Dantz. The TI forum on the Acronis website
>got me a little worried, however. It sounds like v.8 has some real
>issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?

You've got me worried now. I'd better go and have a look at those
forums.

I've been using True Image 8 for about a month. The only problem I've
had is that True Image 7 can't read True Image 8 files and thinks
they're corrupt. This had me worried for a while, until I realised what
was happening.

True Image has got me out of a hole more times than I can remember.
--
Martin Jay
September 12, 2004 11:33:19 PM

"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
> In message <EamdnULwIuxH49ncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
> writes
>
> >I did look at both TI and Dantz. The TI forum on the Acronis website
> >got me a little worried, however. It sounds like v.8 has some real
> >issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?
>
> You've got me worried now. I'd better go and have a look at those
> forums.
>
> I've been using True Image 8 for about a month. The only problem I've
> had is that True Image 7 can't read True Image 8 files and thinks
> they're corrupt. This had me worried for a while, until I realised what
> was happening.
>
> True Image has got me out of a hole more times than I can remember.
> --
> Martin Jay

Didn't mean to do that! I just took a quick look at their forum and saw some
concerns raised. It sounds like v.8 is working okay for you.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 11:33:20 PM

Tony wrote:

> Didn't mean to do that! I just took a quick look at their forum and saw some
> concerns raised. It sounds like v.8 is working okay for you.

The thing to remember about these kind of forums is that as a general
rule, you will *only* be hearing from the people having problems. If
ATI8 is working fine for somebody, they're not going to go to a forum
and report it! :)

You can never really tell what *percentage* of people are having
problems by looking at that sort of forum.

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 11:37:33 PM

TrueImage www.acronis.com

>When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
> be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then that's
> fine too.
>
> 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they can
> be later burned onto disk(s).
>
> 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
original
> source.
>
> 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery operation..
>
> 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
> drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> partition on a designated disk, or
>
> 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows

Inside Windows recovering the Windows drive is a wacko concept. Inside
Windows recovering a different Windows drive works with TrueImage.

> Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered
> bonus.

Get TrueImage

By the way do you work for Acronis. They need to improve their TS
responsiveness slightly
September 12, 2004 11:37:34 PM

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
> following:
> >
> > 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
> > files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP
> Pro
> > on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
> > reboots back to DOS.
>
> TrueImage www.acronis.com

Acronis seems to be coming up as a strong choice. Can it create DVD sized
files during its backup / imaging?

> >When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
> > be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then
that's
> > fine too.
> >
> > 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they
can
> > be later burned onto disk(s).
> >
> > 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
> original
> > source.
> >
> > 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery
operation..

> > 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
> > drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> > partition on a designated disk, or
> >
> > 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
>
> Inside Windows recovering the Windows drive is a wacko concept. Inside
> Windows recovering a different Windows drive works with TrueImage.

Yes, I didn't make that clear. Of course I wouldn't try to restore an OS
partition while running the OS (g). Not likely to work. I meant to restore
other files, partitions while in Windows.

> > Other features like incremental / differential backup would be
considered
> > bonus.
>
> Get TrueImage
>
> By the way do you work for Acronis. They need to improve their TS
> responsiveness slightly

Why on God's green earth would you think I worked for Acronis?!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 11:37:35 PM

Tony wrote:

> Acronis seems to be coming up as a strong choice. Can it create DVD sized
> files during its backup / imaging?

Absolutely. While DVD-sized chunks aren't pre-populated (like 650MB CD
is), you can just type in "1.9GB". I do this so that my images can be
archived into a bootable ISO9660 DVD.

While the ability to make a bootable rescue DVD with the images on it
isn't a native function of ATI, you can pretty easily "roll you own" :
(near the end of the thread)

-WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 12, 2004 11:40:57 PM

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > Tony wrote:
> >
> > > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
> following:
> >
> > I have done all of the following with Acronis TrueImage. Assuming that
> > by 5b) you mean that you can extract files from the image from within
> > Windows.
> >
> > If you have SATA or other slightly uncommon hardware, you *may* have
> > trouble with the rescue CD, as it is Linux-based and depends on the
> > availability of Linux device drivers. I believe there is a trial
> > version which should let you test this out.
> >

> > -WD
> >

> Thanks for the recommendation, Will. I did look at both TI and Dantz. The
TI
> forum on the Acronis website got me a little worried, however. It sounds
> like v.8 has some real issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?

I'm using V8 with few problems except the robustness of the variety of
platforms that the bootable restore CD is successful upon. That limitation
is not killing as the restore can be done on any PC so I just do the
restores wherever they work and that includes laptop drives on a desktop
using an adapter.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2004 12:54:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

You are asking for the functionality of a CD/DVD writing program which will
write whatever files you wish to CD/DVD.
The files are made to fit the media just as they are made to fit any other
media, but they are recorded using, usually, a file structure based on ISO
9660 or ISO.IEC 13346.

A backup program can just as easily backup to CD/DVD.

--
> I guess what I meant to say was, can it create a backup in a series of
files
> that are each of a size that will fit on a DVD? I understand that some
> programs can do that. Once the backup is complete the files can then each
be
> burned on to its own DVD for storage / archival purposes.
>
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > I don't know what you mean by "DVD sized chunks".
> > Retrospect allows you to back up your files:
> >
> > 1. Into a "backup set", just like other backup programs. The backup set
> can
> > span media and uses an intelligent incremental backup algorithm.
> >
> > 2. You can create a "duplicate" back up set, which is, as I recall,
little
> > more than copying the files.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I looked at Retrospect. Will it work with DVD sized chunks?
> > >
> > > "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> recovery
> > CD

> > Win

> > open
> > XP
> drops
> > /
> > > that's

> they
> > > can

> > > operation..

> > external
> designated

> > > considered

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2004 3:59:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

In message <4oqdnZ84ZvGTIdncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
writes
>"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <EamdnULwIuxH49ncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
>> writes

>> >I did look at both TI and Dantz. The TI forum on the Acronis website
>> >got me a little worried, however. It sounds like v.8 has some real
>> >issues. Have you tried v.8 yet?

>> You've got me worried now. I'd better go and have a look at those
>> forums.

>Didn't mean to do that! I just took a quick look at their forum and saw some
>concerns raised. It sounds like v.8 is working okay for you.

Fortunately I do backup my important data files using a separate
process, so if my True Image main backup dies I should still have copies
of everything important. It would just mean I'd have to go through the
laborious process of installing Windows, hardware drivers, etc.
--
Martin Jay
September 13, 2004 3:59:19 AM

> In message <4oqdnZ84ZvGTIdncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
> writes
> >"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
> >> In message <EamdnULwIuxH49ncRVn-rA@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
> >> writes

> >> You've got me worried now. I'd better go and have a look at those
> >> forums.
>
> >Didn't mean to do that! I just took a quick look at their forum and saw
some
> >concerns raised. It sounds like v.8 is working okay for you.
>
> Fortunately I do backup my important data files using a separate
> process, so if my True Image main backup dies I should still have copies
> of everything important. It would just mean I'd have to go through the
> laborious process of installing Windows, hardware drivers, etc.
> --
> Martin Jay

My interest is piqued. What process do you use for data, Martin?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2004 4:17:26 AM

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the
> > following:
> > >
> > > 1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files,
open
> > > files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within
XP
> > Pro
> > > on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops
/
> > > reboots back to DOS.
> >
> > TrueImage www.acronis.com
> >

> Acronis seems to be coming up as a strong choice. Can it create DVD sized
> files during its backup / imaging?

Do you work for Acronis? You only ask questions where the Acronis answer is
yes, 100%. Suspicious.

> > >When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
> > > be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then
> that's
> > > fine too.
> > >
> > > 2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they
> can
> > > be later burned onto disk(s).
> > >
> > > 3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the
> > original
> > > source.
> > >
> > > 4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery
> operation..
> > >
> > > 5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB
external
> > > drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
> > > partition on a designated disk, or
> > >
> > > 5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
> >
> > Inside Windows recovering the Windows drive is a wacko concept. Inside
> > Windows recovering a different Windows drive works with TrueImage.
> >

> Yes, I didn't make that clear. Of course I wouldn't try to restore an OS
> partition while running the OS (g). Not likely to work. I meant to restore
> other files, partitions while in Windows.
>
> > > Other features like incremental / differential backup would be
> considered
> > > bonus.
> >
> > Get TrueImage
> >
> > By the way do you work for Acronis. They need to improve their TS
> > responsiveness slightly
> >

> Why on God's green earth would you think I worked for Acronis?!

Your questions don't meet a sufficient randomness criteria. It's as if they
were formulated from a TrueImage spec sheet and we've all seen such shill
behavior in NGs before.
September 13, 2004 4:17:27 AM

> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> > > following:

> open
> XP
> > > Pro
> /
> > >
> > > TrueImage www.acronis.com
> > >

> > Acronis seems to be coming up as a strong choice. Can it create DVD
sized
> > files during its backup / imaging?
>
> Do you work for Acronis? You only ask questions where the Acronis answer
is
> yes, 100%. Suspicious.

> > that's

> > can

> > > original

> > operation..

> external

> > > Inside Windows recovering the Windows drive is a wacko concept.
Inside
> > > Windows recovering a different Windows drive works with TrueImage.
> > >

> > Yes, I didn't make that clear. Of course I wouldn't try to restore an OS
> > partition while running the OS (g). Not likely to work. I meant to
restore
> > other files, partitions while in Windows.

> > considered
> > >
> > > Get TrueImage
> > >
> > > By the way do you work for Acronis. They need to improve their TS
> > > responsiveness slightly
> > >

> > Why on God's green earth would you think I worked for Acronis?!
>
> Your questions don't meet a sufficient randomness criteria. It's as if
they
> were formulated from a TrueImage spec sheet and we've all seen such shill
> behavior in NGs before.

Interesting. At what point do you predict your "criteria" will transition to
a Theory, or maybe even a Rule? Will it someday be a Law? (Don't get riled;
I have tongue firmly in cheek.)

You've been on Usenet too long Ron (yes, I've seen you on many of the same
groups over the years that I frequent). I'm an engineer by profession, so I
tend to be very precise in my statements and tend to think things through
before I post. Just to make you happy, I will state that I am in no way
connected with Acronis or any potential related company or person associated
with said company.

Okay?
September 13, 2004 4:33:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

RE/
>Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered a
>bonus.

I'm no expert - and you probably just tacked the "incremental/differential" part
on as a nice-to-have for cases where new stuff is installed on the system...but
just in case: I make a distinction between data and system backups.
Different needs, probably different optimal solutions.

I'm using Retrospect for data, DriveImage 7 for system.

I have no love for Retrospect but, truth-be-told, it has gotten me through a
couple of drive failures with (apparently...how does one really know?) no lost
data.

With DriveImage 7, I'm just going on a hope, a prayer, and the word of others
who say they've successfully restored a system from it. Not as bad as it
dounds, I think, because my backup of last resort is still the discs used to
rebuild a system "manually"....and they're all backed up twice (at different
offsite locations) via CD copies.

--
PeteCresswell
September 13, 2004 4:33:32 AM

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> RE/
> >Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered
> >bonus.
>
> I'm no expert - and you probably just tacked the
"incremental/differential" part
> on as a nice-to-have for cases where new stuff is installed on the
system...but
> just in case: I make a distinction between data and system backups.
> Different needs, probably different optimal solutions.
>
> I'm using Retrospect for data, DriveImage 7 for system.
>
> I have no love for Retrospect but, truth-be-told, it has gotten me
through a
> couple of drive failures with (apparently...how does one really know?) no
lost
> data.
>
> With DriveImage 7, I'm just going on a hope, a prayer, and the word of
others
> who say they've successfully restored a system from it. Not as bad as
it
> dounds, I think, because my backup of last resort is still the discs used
> rebuild a system "manually"....and they're all backed up twice (at
different
> offsite locations) via CD copies.
>
> --
> PeteCresswell

Retrospect is rather expensive when compared to other solutions (like NTI
and such). What drew you to this as your data backup choice?

I have also read good things about DI7, but if I understand it correctly, it
is no longer available from Symantec. Although I've read that Ghost 9 is
pretty close.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2004 12:38:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Full Retrospect 6.5 can be had for a bit less than $80.
Upgrade version can be had for a bit less than $40, e.g., if your drives
came with an OEM version of Retrospect, you qualify for the upgrade.

Dantz also has a "competitive upgrade", i.e., for folkes already having
certain other backup software. You'll need to check the Dantz web site
and/or call them. About a year ago, the competitive upgrade was only
available directly from Dantz. At that time, as I recall, the prices was
around the price of the normal upgrade.

--

> "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> > RE/
> > >Other features like incremental / differential backup would be
considered
> > >bonus.
> >
> > I'm no expert - and you probably just tacked the
> "incremental/differential" part
> > on as a nice-to-have for cases where new stuff is installed on the
> system...but
> > just in case: I make a distinction between data and system backups.
> > Different needs, probably different optimal solutions.
> >
> > I'm using Retrospect for data, DriveImage 7 for system.
> >
> > I have no love for Retrospect but, truth-be-told, it has gotten me
> through a
> > couple of drive failures with (apparently...how does one really know?)
no
> lost
> > data.
> >
> > With DriveImage 7, I'm just going on a hope, a prayer, and the word of
> others
> > who say they've successfully restored a system from it. Not as bad
as
> it
> > dounds, I think, because my backup of last resort is still the discs
used
> > rebuild a system "manually"....and they're all backed up twice (at
> different
> > offsite locations) via CD copies.
> >
> > --
> > PeteCresswell
>
> Retrospect is rather expensive when compared to other solutions (like NTI
> and such). What drew you to this as your data backup choice?
>
> I have also read good things about DI7, but if I understand it correctly,
it
> is no longer available from Symantec. Although I've read that Ghost 9 is
> pretty close.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2004 2:29:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

In message <x4udnfsrZKR9cNncRVn-ig@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
writes
>"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message

>> Fortunately I do backup my important data files using a separate
>> process, so if my True Image main backup dies I should still have copies
>> of everything important. It would just mean I'd have to go through the
>> laborious process of installing Windows, hardware drivers, etc.

>My interest is piqued. What process do you use for data, Martin?

A program that I've been using for several years, called My Own Backup.
See http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...

AFAIK it's not longer being developed, which is a shame because it could
do with a facelift. It backs up files in ZIP format, so there's no need
to worry about proprietary formats. The PC World review says it doesn't
work under Windows Me and XP, but I've had no problems using it on both
OSs.

I've also tried Genie Backup Manager 4, see http://www.genie-soft.com/,
but found the way it handled file filtering a bit illogical.
--
Martin Jay
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

I have used Powerquest Drive Image for several years. It's now owned
by Symantec, and the newest version is Ghost 9.0 which I have. Ghost
9.0 is essentially Drive Image 7 updated with Symantec logos/splash
screens.

All of your requirements work with Ghost 9.0. A new feature that DI 7
didn't have is the incremental images as well.

I have restored a dead drive with DI 7 in the past and works fine.

I have booted from and tested the emergency Ghost boot CD and restored
a few selected files from a DVD backup.

I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.

john

"Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:

>I am running XP Pro. I am looking for a product that will do the following:
>
>1) Be able to create a complete and total (including hidden files, open
>files, Registry, OE info, etc) backup of my OS partition from within XP Pro
>on to an external USB 2.0 disk, seamlessly and without multiple drops /
>reboots back to DOS. When I say backup I don't mean to imply that it cannot
>be an image; if an imaging program can do what I want reliably then that's
>fine too.
>
>2) Be able to backup onto the drive into DVD sized chunks so that they can
>be later burned onto disk(s).
>
>3) Be able to verify backup / image content bit-for-bit against the original
>source.
>
>4) Be able to recognize and use those DVD(s) during a recovery operation..
>
>5a) Be able to recover from a bootable CD, from either the USB external
>drive or backup / image files located on DVD(s), back to a designated
>partition on a designated disk, or
>
>5b) Be able to recover from within Windows
>
>Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered a
>bonus.
>
>Thanks for your help.

September 13, 2004 9:30:32 PM

news:D gff7MEXiWRBFwXx@onenet.org.uk...
> In message <x4udnfsrZKR9cNncRVn-ig@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
> writes
> >"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>
> >> Fortunately I do backup my important data files using a separate
> >> process, so if my True Image main backup dies I should still have
copies
> >> of everything important. It would just mean I'd have to go through the
> >> laborious process of installing Windows, hardware drivers, etc.
>
> >My interest is piqued. What process do you use for data, Martin?
>
> A program that I've been using for several years, called My Own Backup.
> See http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...
>
> AFAIK it's not longer being developed, which is a shame because it could
> do with a facelift. It backs up files in ZIP format, so there's no need
> to worry about proprietary formats. The PC World review says it doesn't
> work under Windows Me and XP, but I've had no problems using it on both
> OSs.

Does that include SP2?

> I've also tried Genie Backup Manager 4, see http://www.genie-soft.com/,
> but found the way it handled file filtering a bit illogical.
> --
> Martin Jay
September 13, 2004 10:21:28 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:00:24 -0400, "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:

FWIW:

I use drive image 6 with winxp_sp2. Make the image and store it on
another hard drive in the same box. Has saved my bacon a number of
times. Very simple to use.

e.

>"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

>> open
>> XP
>drops
>> /

September 13, 2004 10:21:29 PM

Once again, thanks to all.

<eric@egypt.net> wrote in message
news:D 5ibk054qin6grhva39m7h6bsop0mbh3ge@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:00:24 -0400, "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:
>

> FWIW:
>
> I use drive image 6 with winxp_sp2. Make the image and store it on
> another hard drive in the same box. Has saved my bacon a number of
> times. Very simple to use.
>
> e.
>

> >"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message

> >> open
> >> XP
> >drops
> >> /

a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 12:18:48 AM

John . wrote:
> I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
> has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
> incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.

Just out of curiosity, what about Ghost's incremental backups is better
about True Image's incremental backups?

-WD
September 14, 2004 12:24:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Ghost incremental backup works at file level, TI incremental backup at disk
level (last time I've checked). Try performing TI incremental backup after
havy disk defregmentation, you will see what happens.

> John . wrote:
> > I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
> > has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
> > incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what about Ghost's incremental backups is better
> about True Image's incremental backups?
>

> -WD
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 12:24:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

I reread the PC Mag online review and stand corrected on my previous
comment about the incremental backup. Sorry for my mis-statement
about the incremental backup.

"Overall, we slightly prefer Ghost 9.0 to our previous Editors' Choice
in this category, the still-excellent Acronis True Image 7.0. Ghost
9.0 gets the nod, though, thanks to its ability to put a Windows
pre-boot environment on startup disk so that you get the same
networking and hardware support on the emergency disk that you get
inside Windows (Acronis uses a Linux-based emergency disk). Ghost also
has the ability to mount an image file as a drive letter. So all
things considered, Ghost 9.0 is the essential tool for rescuing a
complete system. It belongs in every serious PC user's toolbox."

Please read the full article though.

I can say I'm very happy with Ghost 9.0, but I've never used Acronis
TrueImage.

john

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>Ghost incremental backup works at file level, TI incremental backup at disk
>level (last time I've checked). Try performing TI incremental backup after
>havy disk defregmentation, you will see what happens.
>
>"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> John . wrote:
>> > I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
>> > has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
>> > incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, what about Ghost's incremental backups is better
>> about True Image's incremental backups?
>>

>> -WD

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 12:24:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Tony,

No. Ghost 9.0 is NOT Ghost 2003 updated. It's the new updated
version of (previously) Drive Image 7.0. Everything is done within
Windows XP while XP is running. No reboots either.

"Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:

>John, does Ghost 9 do the same kind of drops to DOS and reboots during
>imaging that Ghost 2003 does?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 12:44:32 PM

John . wrote:
> "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> John, does Ghost 9 do the same kind of drops to DOS and reboots
>> during imaging that Ghost 2003 does?
>
> No. Ghost 9.0 is NOT Ghost 2003 updated. It's the new updated
> version of (previously) Drive Image 7.0. Everything is done within
> Windows XP while XP is running. No reboots either.

Ghost 2003 is bundled on the Ghost 9.0 CD though, so its still supplied
should you need it.

--
Mike
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

In message <8j8ck09rl5llse7ds3gh8go4tvh4b2glvf@4ax.com>, John.
<john@notme.com> writes

>I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
>has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
>incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.

The review you refer to can be found here:

and is summed up with:

"Overall, we slightly prefer Ghost 9.0 to our previous Editors' Choice
in this category, the still-excellent Acronis True Image 7.0. Ghost 9.0
gets the nod, though, thanks to its ability to put a Windows pre-boot
environment on startup disk so that you get the same networking and
hardware support on the emergency disk that you get inside Windows
(Acronis uses a Linux-based emergency disk). Ghost also has the ability
to mount an image file as a drive letter. So all things considered,
Ghost 9.0 is the essential tool for rescuing a complete system. It
belongs in every serious PC user's toolbox."

On final point, True Image does offer the ability to mount a drive image
as a drive letter.
--
Martin Jay
Anonymous

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:30:32 -0400, "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:

>"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>news:D gff7MEXiWRBFwXx@onenet.org.uk...

>> >My interest is piqued. What process do you use for data, Martin?
>>
>> A program that I've been using for several years, called My Own Backup.
>> See http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...

Another good option for this is Second Copy from www.centered.com.
It's a file-based backup program and will also zip the backups if
desired, though zipping is very time consuming for large amounts of
data. It will keep up to 25 archival versions of files and archives
deleted files if you want, and has very flexible scheduling. I find
it a perfect complement for True Image, and use it to back up
important files from drives that are too big to image.

I don't know how it compares to these other programs, as I haven't
used them, but they have a 30 day evaluation copy.

a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 4:42:33 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:53:24 -0700, John . <john@notme.com> wrote:

>Ghost also
>has the ability to mount an image file as a drive letter.

True Image 7 and 8 also have this capability.

a b G Storage
September 14, 2004 5:05:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

In message <cNqdnUKIgvLujNvcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
writes
>"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>news:D gff7MEXiWRBFwXx@onenet.org.uk...

>> A program that I've been using for several years, called My Own Backup.
>> See http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...

>> AFAIK it's not longer being developed, which is a shame because it could
>> do with a facelift. It backs up files in ZIP format, so there's no need
>> to worry about proprietary formats. The PC World review says it doesn't
>> work under Windows Me and XP, but I've had no problems using it on both
>> OSs.

>Does that include SP2?

I'm not fortunate enough to be using SP2 at the moment. I've just got
back home from an extended trip away. XP is trying to auto upgrade to
SP2 at the moment, but has stalled at 0% for the past three days. :(

>> I've also tried Genie Backup Manager 4, see http://www.genie-soft.com/,
>> but found the way it handled file filtering a bit illogical.

I've just noticed that GBM 5 is out. I've download the 30 day trial and
will see what I think of it later. Apparently there's an add-on which
will allow users to back-up open files, which I'd find useful.
--
Martin Jay
September 14, 2004 11:28:24 PM

> In message <cNqdnUKIgvLujNvcRVn-tQ@comcast.com>, Tony <none@none.com>
> writes
> >"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
> >news:D gff7MEXiWRBFwXx@onenet.org.uk...
>
> >> A program that I've been using for several years, called My Own Backup.
> >> See http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...
>
> >> AFAIK it's not longer being developed, which is a shame because it
could
> >> do with a facelift. It backs up files in ZIP format, so there's no
need
> >> to worry about proprietary formats. The PC World review says it
doesn't
> >> work under Windows Me and XP, but I've had no problems using it on both
> >> OSs.
>
> >Does that include SP2?
>
> I'm not fortunate enough to be using SP2 at the moment. I've just got
> back home from an extended trip away. XP is trying to auto upgrade to
> SP2 at the moment, but has stalled at 0% for the past three days. :(

I turned off auto-update the day I installed XP Pro SP1. I downloaded SP2.
This thread is helping me decide how to get myself a reliable way to revert
back to SP1 should the upgrade go sour. System Restore has not worked for
too many people.

If you have not yet done so, you may want to check
microsoft.public.windowsupdate . Plenty of reports about install problems,
and solutions. It may help.

> >> I've also tried Genie Backup Manager 4, see http://www.genie-soft.com/,
> >> but found the way it handled file filtering a bit illogical.
>
> I've just noticed that GBM 5 is out. I've download the 30 day trial and
> will see what I think of it later. Apparently there's an add-on which
> will allow users to back-up open files, which I'd find useful.
> --
> Martin Jay
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 15, 2004 2:19:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.backup-software (More info?)

Hi Peter,

You write:

> Ghost incremental backup works at file level, TI incremental backup at
> disk

I'm curious why you say this about Ghost... the G9 documentation says that
an incremental backup contains "a snapshot of the sectors that have changed
on a drive since the baseline backup or the last incremental backup was
taken.". It is integrated with a baseline backup to produce an updated
image. This does not sound like a file level backup to me and is really a
great concept if you think about it...

-- John

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Ghost incremental backup works at file level, TI incremental backup at
> disk
> level (last time I've checked). Try performing TI incremental backup after
> havy disk defregmentation, you will see what happens.
>
> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> John . wrote:
>> > I believe that PC Magazine just said that in their opinion Ghost 9.0
>> > has a slight edge over Acronis True Image now because of the
>> > incremental backup, but basically otherwise a tie.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, what about Ghost's incremental backups is better
>> about True Image's incremental backups?
>>

>> -WD

Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2004 1:32:00 AM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:33:31 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote:

>RE/
>>Other features like incremental / differential backup would be considered a
>>bonus.
>
>I'm no expert - and you probably just tacked the "incremental/differential" part
>on as a nice-to-have for cases where new stuff is installed on the system...but
>just in case: I make a distinction between data and system backups.
>Different needs, probably different optimal solutions.
>
>I'm using Retrospect for data, DriveImage 7 for system.

Which version of Retrospect? I use Retro Professional 6.0 and I'm
thinking about the 6.5 upgrade.

Do you have multiple drives for programs and data. How do you decide
which files on C are 'data,' since some programs insist on storing
data in a subdir of their main dir or in the Programs and Settings
folder.

>I have no love for Retrospect but, truth-be-told, it has gotten me through a
>couple of drive failures with (apparently...how does one really know?) no lost
>data.

me too. No drive failures (yet ...) but plenty of operator failures
and some lousy Quicken software.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 22, 2004 1:33:00 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:03:04 -0400, "Tony" <none@none.com> wrote:

>"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message

>Retrospect is rather expensive when compared to other solutions (like NTI
>and such). What drew you to this as your data backup choice?

How much is your data worth? Your time?
!