Wikdows XP Dual Monitors

I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:

Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.

I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
Manager shows:

Trident Video Accelerator 9440

The error on the Trident card is:
This device cannot start (Code 10)

The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I am
not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode. I
have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.

Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different video
cards and get the same message.

Thanks in advance,

William
5 answers Last reply
More about wikdows dual monitors

    Check your motherboard manual but I don't think you can run both the
    built-in video on the motherboard and a PCI video card at the same time.

    I'll guess that the manual says to turn-off the built-in video whenever an
    AGP/PCI video card is being used.

    To use two monitors you will have to buy a video card that supports it.

    "William E. Mahaffey" <wmahaffeyREMOVECAPS@PLEASEsuziessoftware.com> wrote
    in message news:%23sZ8btASEHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:
    >
    > Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.
    >
    > I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
    > Manager shows:
    >
    > Trident Video Accelerator 9440
    >
    > The error on the Trident card is:
    > This device cannot start (Code 10)
    >
    > The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I am
    > not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
    > that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode.
    > have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.
    >
    > Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different video
    > cards and get the same message.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > William

    Jerry,

    Thanks for your help. I checked WinXP Pro help and it indicates that you
    can run the onboard video and a PCI card. However, It offers no help on
    this situation,

    Thanks again,

    William

    > Check your motherboard manual but I don't think you can run both the
    > built-in video on the motherboard and a PCI video card at the same time.
    >
    > I'll guess that the manual says to turn-off the built-in video whenever an
    > AGP/PCI video card is being used.
    >
    > To use two monitors you will have to buy a video card that supports it.
    >
    > "William E. Mahaffey" <wmahaffeyREMOVECAPS@PLEASEsuziessoftware.com> wrote
    > in message news:%23sZ8btASEHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:
    > >
    > > Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.
    > >
    > > I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
    > > Manager shows:
    > >
    > > Trident Video Accelerator 9440
    > >
    > > The error on the Trident card is:
    > > This device cannot start (Code 10)
    > >
    > > The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I
    am
    > > not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
    > > that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode.
    > > have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.
    > >
    > > Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different
    video
    > > cards and get the same message.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > William

    Not really enough info. If you are trying to set up two
    monitors, does the mother board have a AGP video card
    slot? If so you need to install the second card (AVG not
    PCI) in that slot to get duel monitors to work. Or
    disable the onboard and use a duel head AGP card. It may
    be possible to use a PCI card (haven't tries this setup)
    if it is set in the first slot of the PCI slots, if the
    board dose not have a AGP slot.

    Elah,

    Thanks for your help.

    My mother board is a GigaByte GA-8I845GV. It has on board video and only
    PCI slots for expansion. I am trying to setup a second Monitor so I will
    have enough desktop to run my compiler and editor at the same time. I need
    to view both applications at the same time.

    I am trying to install a PCI video card in PCI slot 1. This video card uses
    the Trident chip set. Device Manager shows this for that video card:

    Trident Video Accelerator 9440

    Device Manager shows this for the on board video:

    Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.

    When I install the Trident card, WinXP finds the card and installs the
    driver with no errors. However when I go to Device Manager and look at
    Properties for this card and Device Status, I see:

    This device cannot start. (Code 10).

    I am using WinXP Pro with my video set at 1152 x 862, 32 bit color and
    large fonts.

    Thanks again for your help,

    William

    Thanks everyone for your help.

    I finally determined how to get the second video card to work. All I had to
    do was go into the BIOS and set the startup video from "OnBoard/AGP" to
    "PCI"

    When WinXP starts, the Windows Logo is on the second monitor (PCI).
    However, the logon screen appears on the monitor connected to the on board
    video.

    William

Video Dual Monitors Trident Windows XP