  • Dual Monitors
  • Trident
  • Windows XP
June 1, 2004 6:05:06 PM

I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:

Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.

I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
Manager shows:

Trident Video Accelerator 9440

The error on the Trident card is:
This device cannot start (Code 10)

The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I am
not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode. I
have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.

Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different video
cards and get the same message.

Thanks in advance,

William

More about : wikdows dual monitors

June 1, 2004 6:05:07 PM

Check your motherboard manual but I don't think you can run both the
built-in video on the motherboard and a PCI video card at the same time.

I'll guess that the manual says to turn-off the built-in video whenever an
AGP/PCI video card is being used.

To use two monitors you will have to buy a video card that supports it.

"William E. Mahaffey" <wmahaffeyREMOVECAPS@PLEASEsuziessoftware.com> wrote
in message news:%23sZ8btASEHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:
>
> Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.
>
> I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
> Manager shows:
>
> Trident Video Accelerator 9440
>
> The error on the Trident card is:
> This device cannot start (Code 10)
>
> The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I am
> not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
> that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode.
> have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.
>
> Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different video
> cards and get the same message.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> William

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 8:06:51 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for your help. I checked WinXP Pro help and it indicates that you
can run the onboard video and a PCI card. However, It offers no help on
this situation,

Thanks again,

William

> Check your motherboard manual but I don't think you can run both the
> built-in video on the motherboard and a PCI video card at the same time.
>
> I'll guess that the manual says to turn-off the built-in video whenever an
> AGP/PCI video card is being used.
>
> To use two monitors you will have to buy a video card that supports it.
>
> "William E. Mahaffey" <wmahaffeyREMOVECAPS@PLEASEsuziessoftware.com> wrote
> in message news:%23sZ8btASEHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > I have a motherboard with builtin Video. The video is:
> >
> > Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.
> >
> > I am trying to install a PCI video card with Trident Chip Set. Device
> > Manager shows:
> >
> > Trident Video Accelerator 9440
> >
> > The error on the Trident card is:
> > This device cannot start (Code 10)
> >
> > The WinXP instructions say the on board video should be set to VGA. I
am
> > not sure what that means but I cannot find anything on the current drive
> > that shows a VGA Mode. All I find is screen resolutions and color mode.
> > have it set to 1152 x 862 32 bit color and large fonts.
> >
> > Can someone see what I am over looking? I have tried two different
video
> > cards and get the same message.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > William

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 1:52:10 AM

Not really enough info. If you are trying to set up two
monitors, does the mother board have a AGP video card
slot? If so you need to install the second card (AVG not
PCI) in that slot to get duel monitors to work. Or
disable the onboard and use a duel head AGP card. It may
be possible to use a PCI card (haven't tries this setup)
if it is set in the first slot of the PCI slots, if the
board dose not have a AGP slot.

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 1:59:45 PM

Elah,

Thanks for your help.

My mother board is a GigaByte GA-8I845GV. It has on board video and only
PCI slots for expansion. I am trying to setup a second Monitor so I will
have enough desktop to run my compiler and editor at the same time. I need
to view both applications at the same time.

I am trying to install a PCI video card in PCI slot 1. This video card uses
the Trident chip set. Device Manager shows this for that video card:

Trident Video Accelerator 9440

Device Manager shows this for the on board video:

Intel 82845g/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics controller.

When I install the Trident card, WinXP finds the card and installs the
driver with no errors. However when I go to Device Manager and look at
Properties for this card and Device Status, I see:

This device cannot start. (Code 10).

I am using WinXP Pro with my video set at 1152 x 862, 32 bit color and
large fonts.

Thanks again for your help,

William
Anonymous
June 2, 2004 5:13:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your help.

I finally determined how to get the second video card to work. All I had to
do was go into the BIOS and set the startup video from "OnBoard/AGP" to
"PCI"

When WinXP starts, the Windows Logo is on the second monitor (PCI).
However, the logon screen appears on the monitor connected to the on board
video.

William
!