comparing types of compact flash cards: regular, ultra, ex..

Tags:
  • Cameras
  • Compact Flash
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 19, 2004 5:10:28 AM

I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
recovery s/w if the card fails.
A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
of internal recovery s/w.
Please, talk to me!
thanks so much,
Rick

More about : comparing types compact flash cards regular ultra

July 19, 2004 5:55:27 AM

"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:nnumf0h42co67ravlc5i6vg1c5gpjh0ksr@4ax.com...
> I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
> IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
> capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
> those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
> considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
> like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
> the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
> SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II.

Why? Get a Type 1 and use it in both your cameras. The S1's
movie mode is limited to either one hour, 1GB, or card capacity,
whichever occurs first, regardless of CF type.

> The S1
> IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
> movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
> is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
> at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
> recovery s/w if the card fails.
> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
> Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
> would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
> reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
> card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
> week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
> 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
> review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
> to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
> of internal recovery s/w.
> Please, talk to me!
> thanks so much,
> Rick

We just went through this process a few months ago. Canon
Labs claims the S1's movie mode at full resolution and frame
rate writes to a CF card at a maximum of just over 1.2MB/s,
and usually less. That's how fast your CF card should be to
avoid problems. It works out to an "8X" card or better.

We opted for a 1GB Sandisk Ultra (Type 1), which was way
overkill, but we haven't run into any problems with the S1's
movie mode, and most other memory functions on the
camera are much faster as well (reviewing, transferring etc).

Rick (another one :-)
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:37:14 PM

"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!

Who sells ultra and extreme versions of CF type II?
Richard
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 1:01:45 AM

When the card has failed internally it can ressurect it's own data? Sound's
pretty weird to me...LOL

"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
> IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
> capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
> those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
> considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
> like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
> the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
> SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
> IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
> movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
> is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
> at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
> recovery s/w if the card fails.
> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
> Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
> would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
> reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
> card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
> week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
> 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
> review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
> to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
> of internal recovery s/w.
> Please, talk to me!
> thanks so much,
> Rick

July 20, 2004 12:35:49 PM

"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
> IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
> capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
> those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
> considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
> like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
> the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
> SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
> IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
> movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
> is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
> at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
> recovery s/w if the card fails.
> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
> Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
> would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
> reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
> card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
> week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
> 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
> review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
> to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
> of internal recovery s/w.
> Please, talk to me!
> thanks so much,
> Rick

Why wrack your brain over stuff like this? If you're looking at spending
$200-300, just get a camcorder. Camcorder=Video, Digicam=Stills. Got it?

Ron
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:16:37 AM

Then you can figure out how long those minitapes are and then figure out how
to get them on your computer. I few hundred dollars worth of gadgets should
digitize your movies into the lowest resolution you have ever seen.

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
> > IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
> > capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
> > those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
> > considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
> > like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
> > the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
> > SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
> > IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
> > movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
> > is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
> > at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
> > recovery s/w if the card fails.
> > A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> > type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
> > Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
> > would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
> > reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
> > card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
> > week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
> > 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
> > review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
> > to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
> > of internal recovery s/w.
> > Please, talk to me!
> > thanks so much,
> > Rick
> >

> Why wrack your brain over stuff like this? If you're looking at spending
> $200-300, just get a camcorder. Camcorder=Video, Digicam=Stills. Got it?
>
> Ron

July 21, 2004 3:11:41 AM

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
news:D _ydnU3EfeZbXmDdRVn-jA@golden.net...
> Then you can figure out how long those minitapes are and then figure out
how
> to get them on your computer. I few hundred dollars worth of gadgets
should
> digitize your movies into the lowest resolution you have ever seen.
>
> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
> > > IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
> > > capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
> > > those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
> > > considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
> > > like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
> > > the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
> > > SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
> > > IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
> > > movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
> > > is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
> > > at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
> > > recovery s/w if the card fails.
> > > A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
> > > type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
> > > Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
> > > would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
> > > reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
> > > card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
> > > week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
> > > 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
> > > review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
> > > to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
> > > of internal recovery s/w.
> > > Please, talk to me!
> > > thanks so much,
> > > Rick
> > >

> > Why wrack your brain over stuff like this? If you're looking at spending
> > $200-300, just get a camcorder. Camcorder=Video, Digicam=Stills. Got it?
> >
> > Ron

Sorry, wrong again. The miniDV tapes are extremely easy to xfer to computer.
And there are many NLE programs that have built in capture options. What in
hell are you talking about?
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 8:44:31 PM

Please explain how you transfer the tape to your computer

> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> news:D _ydnU3EfeZbXmDdRVn-jA@golden.net...
> > Then you can figure out how long those minitapes are and then figure out
> how
> > to get them on your computer. I few hundred dollars worth of gadgets
> should
> > digitize your movies into the lowest resolution you have ever seen.
> >
> > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
S1
S1
The

> > > Why wrack your brain over stuff like this? If you're looking at
spending
> > > $200-300, just get a camcorder. Camcorder=Video, Digicam=Stills. Got
it?

> > > Ron
> > >

> Sorry, wrong again. The miniDV tapes are extremely easy to xfer to
computer.
> And there are many NLE programs that have built in capture options. What
in
> hell are you talking about?

July 21, 2004 10:04:38 PM

> Please explain how you transfer the tape to your computer
>
> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > news:D _ydnU3EfeZbXmDdRVn-jA@golden.net...
> > > Then you can figure out how long those minitapes are and then figure
out
> > how
> > > to get them on your computer. I few hundred dollars worth of gadgets
> > should
> > > digitize your movies into the lowest resolution you have ever seen.
> > >
> > > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> S1
> from
> canon
The
> S1
> write
Ultra
> the
> The
> available
> feature

> spending
> it?

> > Sorry, wrong again. The miniDV tapes are extremely easy to xfer to
> computer.
> > And there are many NLE programs that have built in capture options. What
> in
> > hell are you talking about?

Are you one of the 4400? How long have you been out of touch with
humanity/technology? Well, where should I start? There's this thing called
Firewire. No, the cable does not actually ignite. So don't get excited(like
the time you found out about toilet paper...no more corncobs). What? You say
you don't have FW? Hmm, bet you're thinking, "here comes the few hundred
dollars purchase" that you alluded to earlier. Now, I know this might
postpone the $15.95 Kentucky Fried Chicken spread you planned for your
sister's wedding to your cousin who just got over a messy divorce from his
sister, but guess what?? The FW card costs less!!! Hot damn! Next, they have
these new-fangled motion picture thingys called camcorders. Now, as you sit
back scratching those nasty fleas, I'll try to explain this in layman's
terms. There's this tiny hole in the camcorder called an AV port(actually
it's an IEEE 1394 firewire port but I won't make you more dizzy with the
details). Welp, you just stick one end of the FW cable into the camera and
the other end into the FW port in the back of your computer. Yep, just slide
'er right in, sorta how you connect to ol' Bessie after you milk her. So, at
this point, if you haven't fallen asleep with visions of "The King" dancing
in yur noggin', we come to the part of the schoolin' where I list, oh, about
fifteen or so programs that somehow "magically" transfer the digital signal
on the miniDV tape via an onboard digitizer(called DV/IN) pass-through,
right smack dab to your 'puter. In no particular order there's Adobe
Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas 5.0, WinDV, AVI_IO, DVIO, Home DV SenseCapture,
ScenalyzerLive, Ulead Studio, Pinnacle, DVapp, Windows Moviemaker,
EditStudio, Exsate VideoExpress, mpegable X4 Live, neoDVD, ad nauseum. When
your 'corder is connected to your 'puter and you flip the camera switch to
VCR, the particular capture program opens automatically(this is providing
you've recently upgraded from Windows 3.11 to XP). Some of these thar gizmo
programs actually will detect the scenes in your recording as it is
transferred to your computer as an AVI file(which is nothing more than a
generic "container" format, if you will, non-compressed) ready for you to
edit and convert to MPEG format. "Well, confound it! That's gonna cost me a
few hundred dollars," you say? Not so, my Ozark friend. Turn down Hank
Williams for a sec and listen up good. Several of these modern-day pandoras
are actually free. Yep, free, just like the two-for-one specials yur momma
gives down at the local watering hole on a Saturday night. Hope this helps.

Ron
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:51:10 AM

That helps but, not many non Mac users have firewire and also I have never
seen a camcorder with a firewire interface. Why would they put such an
uncommon i/f port on a camcorder? Pure speed before the USB hole had it I
guess.

So these new fandangled camcorders have this firewire port/hole and can
acyually convert their analogue magnetics on the minitape back to a digital
signal and transmit it into a modern computer to be store in a file of
some sort to be massaged by a programme of a sort as a video?

Well I'll be dog goned, dab nabbit all!

> [...]
> your 'corder is connected to your 'puter and you flip the camera switch to
> VCR, the particular capture program opens automatically(this is providing
> you've recently upgraded from Windows 3.11 to XP). Some of these thar
gizmo
> programs actually will detect the scenes in your recording as it is
> transferred to your computer as an AVI file(which is nothing more than a
> generic "container" format, if you will, non-compressed) ready for you to
> edit and convert to MPEG format. "Well, confound it! That's gonna cost me
> few hundred dollars," you say? Not so, my Ozark friend. Turn down Hank
> Williams for a sec and listen up good. Several of these modern-day
pandoras
> are actually free. Yep, free, just like the two-for-one specials yur momma
> gives down at the local watering hole on a Saturday night. Hope this

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 4:56:09 AM

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:37:14 GMT, "marlin"
<marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote:

>"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
>> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
>
>Who sells ultra and extreme versions of CF type II?
>Richard

pricegrabber.com has a pretty good selection, Sandisk ultras and
extremes, type I and type II.
The prices I put in my post were meant to be rhetorical, that's why I
said 'roughly', 'cause I was more interested in talking about types
and write speed, etc. I shouldn't have mentioned price; price is the
easiest thing to go find on the internet. Posting wording lesson
learned.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:09:28 AM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:35:49 -0400, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:

>"Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> I'm shopping for a high capacity (512MB or 1 gig) for my new canon S1
>> IS, (I want to use its 640x480 movie capability, necessitating high
>> capacity). I see a few types on the market, I'm asking for info from
>> those that have experience or knowledge. I'm leaving brand name
>> considerations out, so as not to muddy the issue. So far, it looks
>> like the only significant difference between type I and type II is
>> the physical size; so if I get a type II it won't fit in my old canon
>> SD110. No biggy, really, I've resigned myself to get a type II. The S1
>> IS takes either one. So my concern is that I believe that taking
>> movies may REQUIRE a 'high speed' CF card, and the best I can deduce
>> is that the regular type will write maybe 6MB/sec, 'ultra' will write
>> at 9MB/sec, the 'extreme' claims 16MB/sec, but also has inernal
>> recovery s/w if the card fails.
>> A 512Mb CF card, roughly, goes for: regular type II, 100-125$. Ultra
>> type II, 175$. Extreme type II, 250$ !!!
>> Obviously, I'd rather not spend more money for speed I don't need, I
>> would think there's a memory buffer in the camera that acts as a
>> reservoir while it's filming, writing to the flash card as the flash
>> card can take it. But if there's any risk at all that the card is the
>> week point, I'm willing to spend the extra money for the 'ultra'. The
>> 'extreme' sounds nice, but as we all know from the great 'steve's
>> review' (and others) site, there is third party recovery s/w available
>> to recover images from a failed card, so I'm dubious about the feature
>> of internal recovery s/w.
>> Please, talk to me!
>> thanks so much,
>> Rick
>>

>Why wrack your brain over stuff like this? If you're looking at spending
>$200-300, just get a camcorder. Camcorder=Video, Digicam=Stills. Got it?
>
>Ron

You're right... I gave the wrong impression. I've had digiital cameras
for years, they all have all had some form of movie capability, and I
RARELY use the funtion; obviously, the res is low, eats memory,
etc.but its nice to have the capability if something comes up, because
I will never carry a video cam. I bought the
camera for stills, but it does happen to have one of the largest
frame size movie capability, so I don't want to prevent its useage by
buying a CF card that is too slow for it. Whether the CF speed would
even be the bottleneck, as opposed to camera buffer size, etc. is
what I'm trying to explore.
Rick
Rick
July 22, 2004 1:03:40 PM

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:35:49 -0400, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> I will never carry a video cam.

Just curious. Why? With the compactness of todays's camcorders, it's hardly
considered carrying anything at all. Sony's handycams fit in your palm. The
output is fantastic.

>I bought the
> camera for stills, but it does happen to have one of the largest
> frame size movie capability, so I don't want to prevent its useage by
> buying a CF card that is too slow for it.

Really. I have what most reviewers consider to be the best motion picture
taking digicam on the market today (Fuji FinePix S7000 640 x 480 at 30fps)
and I still don't use it. Why? Because it's not what I consider good
video(doesn't zoom and output is mono, compressed, and underexposed). Sure
I'd like to have a 3-chip CCD prosumer videocamera. But my Sony TRV38 makes
excellent videos with very good stereo separation, manual/auto focusing and
20X optical zoom. No digital still camera can even come close to that kind
of capability/output. The miniDV is stored UN-compressed. Not so with
today's digicams. The latter compresses and stores them as MPEGs. YUCK!!
Before I convert to MPEG 1 or 2, I want to edit my recording. Besides,
anywhere I go, my better half is with me. And she's getting pretty darn good
at it. We'll alternate. She'll take video for awhile and I'll take the
stills. Then we'll switch. The techniques are decidely different. So she's
learning a lot. OTOH, the stills that my Sony handycam can take are, well,
they're just not worth mentioning. Hence, the need for a separate device
that specializes in just that intention. Until the day they can implant a
recording device inside my eyes, I'll carry specialized equipment. But to
each his own. The main thing is to have fun.

Ron
July 22, 2004 1:03:41 PM

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message news:40ffbb2d$0$5629$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...

> "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:35:49 -0400, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
> >
> > I will never carry a video cam.
>
> Just curious. Why? With the compactness of todays's camcorders, it's hardly
> considered carrying anything at all. Sony's handycams fit in your palm. The
> output is fantastic.
>

> >I bought the
> > camera for stills, but it does happen to have one of the largest
> > frame size movie capability, so I don't want to prevent its useage by
> > buying a CF card that is too slow for it.
>
> Really. I have what most reviewers consider to be the best motion picture
> taking digicam on the market today (Fuji FinePix S7000 640 x 480 at 30fps)

Eh? Canon's S1 IS is also 640x480 @30fps, has 10x zoom
instead of 6x, and unlike the S7000 one can actually USE the
zoom during movie mode. It's also $300 less expensive.

Rick
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 10:55:49 PM

Hank Williams? Now that was just plain insultin'

> [...]
> your 'corder is connected to your 'puter and you flip the camera switch to
> VCR, the particular capture program opens automatically(this is providing
> you've recently upgraded from Windows 3.11 to XP). Some of these thar
gizmo
> programs actually will detect the scenes in your recording as it is
> transferred to your computer as an AVI file(which is nothing more than a
> generic "container" format, if you will, non-compressed) ready for you to
> edit and convert to MPEG format. "Well, confound it! That's gonna cost me
> few hundred dollars," you say? Not so, my Ozark friend. Turn down Hank
> Williams for a sec and listen up good. Several of these modern-day
pandoras
> are actually free. Yep, free, just like the two-for-one specials yur momma
> gives down at the local watering hole on a Saturday night. Hope this

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 11:21:23 PM

> pricegrabber.com has a pretty good selection, Sandisk ultras and
> extremes, type I and type II.

I'm pretty sure the ultras and extremes are all type one. The only type II's
are hitachi's microdrive and magicstor's plus card (sold under a few
different names, and is not compatible with a lot of cameras). Seagate has
one in the works.
Richard
July 23, 2004 1:50:21 AM

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:35:49 -0400, "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I will never carry a video cam.
> >
> > Just curious. Why? With the compactness of todays's camcorders, it's
hardly
> > considered carrying anything at all. Sony's handycams fit in your palm.
The
> > output is fantastic.
> >

> > >I bought the
> > > camera for stills, but it does happen to have one of the largest
> > > frame size movie capability, so I don't want to prevent its useage by
> > > buying a CF card that is too slow for it.
> >
> > Really. I have what most reviewers consider to be the best motion
picture
> > taking digicam on the market today (Fuji FinePix S7000 640 x 480 at
30fps)

> Eh? Canon's S1 IS is also 640x480 @30fps, has 10x zoom
> instead of 6x, and unlike the S7000 one can actually USE the
> zoom during movie mode. It's also $300 less expensive.
>
> Rick

Yeah, it's a nice camera. It's $300 less than S7k? So it's going for $117?

Ron
July 23, 2004 1:50:22 AM

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message news:41006ede$0$5634$61fed72c@news.rcn.com...

> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Rick S." <rnospamschilf@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> > > Just curious. Why? With the compactness of todays's camcorders, it's
> hardly
> > > considered carrying anything at all. Sony's handycams fit in your palm.
> The
> > > output is fantastic.

> > > Really. I have what most reviewers consider to be the best motion
> picture
> > > taking digicam on the market today (Fuji FinePix S7000 640 x 480 at
> 30fps)
> >
> > Eh? Canon's S1 IS is also 640x480 @30fps, has 10x zoom
> > instead of 6x, and unlike the S7000 one can actually USE the
> > zoom during movie mode. It's also $300 less expensive.
>
> Yeah, it's a nice camera. It's $300 less than S7k? So it's going for $117?

SRP is $799 for the S7000 and $499 for the S1 IS.

Rick
July 23, 2004 2:17:08 AM

> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> > hardly
> > The

> > picture
> > 30fps)
> > >
> > > Eh? Canon's S1 IS is also 640x480 @30fps, has 10x zoom
> > > instead of 6x, and unlike the S7000 one can actually USE the
> > > zoom during movie mode. It's also $300 less expensive.
> >
> > Yeah, it's a nice camera. It's $300 less than S7k? So it's going for
$117?

> SRP is $799 for the S7000 and $499 for the S1 IS.
>
> Rick

Forget the SRP, what did YOU get it for?

Ron
July 23, 2004 4:20:24 PM

> That helps but, not many non Mac users have firewire and also I have never
> seen a camcorder with a firewire interface. Why would they put such an
> uncommon i/f port on a camcorder? Pure speed before the USB hole had it I
> guess.
>
> So these new fandangled camcorders have this firewire port/hole and can
> acyually convert their analogue magnetics on the minitape back to a
digital
> signal and transmit it into a modern computer to be store in a file of
> some sort to be massaged by a programme of a sort as a video?

Most digital camcorders have firewire, and as the miniDV format is DIGITAL
there is no loss in qualiy transferring the data to a computer.
Analogue camcoders do not have firewire or USB AFAIK as there is no point.
July 23, 2004 4:20:25 PM

"Alan" <alz_deane@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > That helps but, not many non Mac users have firewire and also I have
never
> > seen a camcorder with a firewire interface. Why would they put such an
> > uncommon i/f port on a camcorder? Pure speed before the USB hole had it
> > guess.
> >
> > So these new fandangled camcorders have this firewire port/hole and can
> > acyually convert their analogue magnetics on the minitape back to a
> digital
> > signal and transmit it into a modern computer to be store in a file of
> > some sort to be massaged by a programme of a sort as a video?
>
> Most digital camcorders have firewire, and as the miniDV format is DIGITAL
> there is no loss in qualiy transferring the data to a computer.
> Analogue camcoders do not have firewire or USB AFAIK as there is no point.

Careful there, Alan. You're using multi-syllabic words. It hurts Gymmy Bob's
head.

Ron
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:58:34 AM

No hyphen in the word multi-syllabic.

"Multi" is a prefix and not a complete word. Words in real English do not
have hyphens except for two exceptions.

> "Alan" <alz_deane@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > > That helps but, not many non Mac users have firewire and also I have
> never
> > > seen a camcorder with a firewire interface. Why would they put such an
> > > uncommon i/f port on a camcorder? Pure speed before the USB hole had
it
> > > guess.
> > >
> > > So these new fandangled camcorders have this firewire port/hole and
can
> > > acyually convert their analogue magnetics on the minitape back to a
> > digital
> > > signal and transmit it into a modern computer to be store in a file
of
> > > some sort to be massaged by a programme of a sort as a video?
> >
> > Most digital camcorders have firewire, and as the miniDV format is
DIGITAL
> > there is no loss in qualiy transferring the data to a computer.
> > Analogue camcoders do not have firewire or USB AFAIK as there is no
point.

> Careful there, Alan. You're using multi-syllabic words. It hurts Gymmy
Bob's
> head.
>
> Ron

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 1:38:48 PM

Does anyone have any Shipping and handling
with Ritek 512 MB 52x Compact flash cards? Seem to be less expensive
that the competition and a bit faster for use in Canon PowerShot Pro1?

TIA

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:10:28 -0700, Rick S.

!