Access Denied

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2004 2:25:11 AM

Don't think this is a wireless issue but wanted to Post to see if anyone
could help.
I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with Speed Booster.
It is hard wired to a XP Home machine.
The wireless NIC is in a XP Pro machine. The NIC is the Linksys Speed
Booster.

I have a problem. If it is even a problem, I don't know. I don't know if it
was there before or not because I never had to try to open the folders. The
thing is I see both computers within each other. They see each other and
each other sees the shared files or drives I have shared.

From the XP Home machine I open the C:\ drive that is the Pro machine that
has it shared. It opens and shows me all the folders. Some folders I can
open and others I can't. For instance if I try "Documents and Settings," it
opens. The same with a few others.

But, if I try to open the folder "Program Files" it will wont' open.
I get the message:
" \\my computers name\C\Program Files is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this
server to find out if you access permissions. Access denied." I am the
administrator and only user. I think the same happens with the Windows
Folder.

I installed XP SP/2 final version build 2180 on the Pro machine but don't
know if that did anything or not. I just happened to notice the above
problem because I wanted to look into the Program Files folder on it from
the XP Home machine. It may have been the same before I installed XP SP/2.

I uninstalled XP SP/2 and ran the Network Wizard on both machines and the
same thing. On the Pro machine in My Network Places I can access that
"C:\Program Files" folder, but not when I try from My Network Places on the
XP Home machine. The shared drive opens as well as some of the folders, but
a few won't and give me the above message.

Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to correct it? Or, is this by
design for some reason.

Thanks,
Ed.

More about : access denied

August 11, 2004 12:47:02 PM

It is by design to protect your files. You cannot share some folders in XP.
Program Files is one of those folders, as well as System folders. Help says:
"The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program
Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in
other user's profiles."

"Ed." wrote:

> Don't think this is a wireless issue but wanted to Post to see if anyone
> could help.
> I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with Speed Booster.
> It is hard wired to a XP Home machine.
> The wireless NIC is in a XP Pro machine. The NIC is the Linksys Speed
> Booster.
>
> I have a problem. If it is even a problem, I don't know. I don't know if it
> was there before or not because I never had to try to open the folders. The
> thing is I see both computers within each other. They see each other and
> each other sees the shared files or drives I have shared.
>
> From the XP Home machine I open the C:\ drive that is the Pro machine that
> has it shared. It opens and shows me all the folders. Some folders I can
> open and others I can't. For instance if I try "Documents and Settings," it
> opens. The same with a few others.
>
> But, if I try to open the folder "Program Files" it will wont' open.
> I get the message:
> " \\my computers name\C\Program Files is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this
> server to find out if you access permissions. Access denied." I am the
> administrator and only user. I think the same happens with the Windows
> Folder.
>
> I installed XP SP/2 final version build 2180 on the Pro machine but don't
> know if that did anything or not. I just happened to notice the above
> problem because I wanted to look into the Program Files folder on it from
> the XP Home machine. It may have been the same before I installed XP SP/2.
>
> I uninstalled XP SP/2 and ran the Network Wizard on both machines and the
> same thing. On the Pro machine in My Network Places I can access that
> "C:\Program Files" folder, but not when I try from My Network Places on the
> XP Home machine. The shared drive opens as well as some of the folders, but
> a few won't and give me the above message.
>
> Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to correct it? Or, is this by
> design for some reason.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 11, 2004 5:28:28 PM

OK, thanks for the info and appreciate that. Now we know that there is
nothing wrong. I wasn't sure if some permissions somewhere got messed up or
something like. I feel better now that it is the way it is supposes to be.

Thanks Again for the reply,
Ed.

!