playing avi, mpg & Divx files

I've recently started downloading Movie Video files from
the internet, but now I don't know how I can go about
playing them. When I try my PowerDVD program it says to
insert a disc, and when I try playing it on my Windows
Media Player, all I get is the audio. Could someone
please tell what I am doing wrong or what I should do
instead? I am currently running Windows XP and my DVD and
Media Players all have the current versions installed at
this time. Thank You for any help you can give.

Dukiesma

"dukiesma" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've recently started downloading Movie Video files from
> the internet, but now I don't know how I can go about
> playing them. When I try my PowerDVD program it says to
> insert a disc, and when I try playing it on my Windows
> Media Player, all I get is the audio. Could someone
> please tell what I am doing wrong or what I should do
> instead? I am currently running Windows XP and my DVD and
> Media Players all have the current versions installed at
> this time. Thank You for any help you can give.

You need the proper video codec to display the video. I have found that
the ffdshow codec can handle just about every avi divx or xvid I have ever
tried to play: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow/ Install the
codec, and Window Media Player will automatically make use of it the next
time you try to play one of those troublesome movie files.

Hope that helps,
Ian.