IDE Drive to External USB?

Hi. Seems to me I've seen a way to take a plain IDE drive and make it
an external USB device. What's the easiest, cheapest way to go about
doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Obadiah wrote:
> Hi. Seems to me I've seen a way to take a plain IDE drive and make it
> an external USB device. What's the easiest, cheapest way to go about
> doing this?

Buy a USB enclosure and put the drive in it.

-WD

Get an external USB case and put the drive inside.
Cases start around $30 on www.pricewatch.com

"Obadiah" <pilgrimworker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Seems to me I've seen a way to take a plain IDE drive and make it
> an external USB device. What's the easiest, cheapest way to go about
> doing this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

"Obadiah" <pilgrimworker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi. Seems to me I've seen a way to take a plain IDE drive and make it
> an external USB device. What's the easiest, cheapest way to go about
> doing this?

http://www.shopping.com/xPP-Drive_Cases-USB_2.0_enclosure~S-213~OR-0~V-

Thanks all who replied.

Obadiah <pilgrimworker@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi. Seems to me I've seen a way to take a plain IDE drive and make it
> an external USB device. What's the easiest, cheapest way to go about
> doing this?

People are recomending USB or Firewire enclosures. You can also get a USB
cable that plugs into the disk IDE cable (along with a power supply for the 4
pin connector). This is useful if you are constantly swapping things around.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-107-107&depa=0

Also if you are going to use a disk for long time you probably should get an
IDE or Firewire enclosure that has a fan in it.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

I have an external Maxtor Firewire 80 GB hard disk, FAT formated.
Now I bought a 250 WD hard disk, formated with NTFS and tried to
substitute the old 80GB HD in the Maxtor external case, but it didn't
work well.
I got file system problems. When I check the disk in Windows it seems
to check only 80GB and tells me it can't complete the operation.

The disk was formated with an IDE cable and I also copied some data
which I can access when it is inside the firewire case.

Any clues?

AP

alexp wrote:

> I have an external Maxtor Firewire 80 GB hard disk, FAT formated.
> Now I bought a 250 WD hard disk, formated with NTFS and tried to
> substitute the old 80GB HD in the Maxtor external case, but it didn't
> work well.
> I got file system problems. When I check the disk in Windows it seems
> to check only 80GB and tells me it can't complete the operation.
>
> The disk was formated with an IDE cable and I also copied some data
> which I can access when it is inside the firewire case.
>
> Any clues?
>
> AP

Hello, AP:

The Maxtor case probably contains firmware, which limits the installed
hard disk to a certain, maximum size (and/or, only works properly, with
Maxtor drives?). If so, you'll need a different enclosure, for your
Western Digital 250GB.

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

PS: On my Micro Solutions "backpack" (30GB external HDD), the firmware
is in the parallel-type connector (of the proprietary USB cable), which
attaches to the backpack, itself.

"John Turco" <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message
> alexp wrote:
> >
> > I have an external Maxtor Firewire 80 GB hard disk, FAT formated.
> > Now I bought a 250 WD hard disk, formated with NTFS and tried to
> > substitute the old 80GB HD in the Maxtor external case, but it didn't
> > work well.
> > I got file system problems. When I check the disk in Windows it seems
> > to check only 80GB and tells me it can't complete the operation.

See if there is a firmware update on the maxtor site?