Dgital Camera Question

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 20, 2004 5:29:31 AM

I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.

Is this common with all digital cameras?

More about : dgital camera question

Anonymous
July 20, 2004 5:29:32 AM

Yes. This is a common problem with any optically focused camera, especially
with dimmer lighting.

Set your camera to manual focus or preset the focus. This is usually done by
pointing your camera at the end of the slide in advance and pressing the
shutter button down half-way and holding while it focuses and predetermines
the exposure to be used. When your son hits the bottom of the slide press
the shutter button down all the way and I think you will find it
instantaneously snaps.

When buying a new digital cam you have to try the camera yourself in the
store pointed into a dark area. Very few camera manufacturers publish these
figures on shutter delay (they are ashamed) and the ones that do are a lie
and not the figure you are talking about. They do not include focusing and
exposure set-up in their times. The shutter delay published is like telling
you the data rate on the internal microprocessor bus. It means nothing.

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
>
> Is this common with all digital cameras?
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 10:25:50 AM

The worst arer canon a 40 and a70 series
they take photos next week !

Related resources
July 20, 2004 12:28:54 PM

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
>
> Is this common with all digital cameras?

My Fuji S7000 will take first five or last five shots rapidly. In first
five, the camera will take and record five rapid shots all within one second
the instant the shutter release is depressed. In last five, the camera will
take up to 40 shots at 5fps but will only record the last five upon release
of shutter button. With these options you never miss an anticipated shot.

Ron
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 3:48:35 PM

"Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
>
> Is this common with all digital cameras?

It is, but there is a way around it that I've used to catch grandkids coming
off a water slide. Set the camera to take a rapid sequence of pictures.
Then you can erase the ones tat didn't catch what you want, and keep the
good ones.
Anonymous
July 20, 2004 4:30:15 PM

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:29:31 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
wrote:

>I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
>only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
>between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
>that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
>wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
>water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
>then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
>
>Is this common with all digital cameras?

NO.
Definitely not.

The newer cameras that are coming out have increased capabilities
with many now faster than film cameras.

The water slide problem is easily fixed by planning ahead, though.
Just press your shutter half way down while focusing on the end of the
water slide and just squeeze off the shot when he comes into frame or
slightly before. It should be easy to learn when to snap and the
shots are free so practice practice practice.

Pj
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:12:33 AM

Could I look into the future with the pictures then?

I think the Kyocera S5 I had was the worst! I took a picture of some family
before they left but after the flash went off the phone rang and it was
them, saying they were at home! They got tired of waiting for me to focus.

"Mark Spacey" <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> The worst arer canon a 40 and a70 series
> they take photos next week !

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 1:13:23 AM

After the shutter delay of focusing and exposure correction.

"Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message

> "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> > only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> > between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> > that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> > wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> > water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> > then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
> >
> > Is this common with all digital cameras?
>
> My Fuji S7000 will take first five or last five shots rapidly. In first
> five, the camera will take and record five rapid shots all within one
second
> the instant the shutter release is depressed. In last five, the camera
will
> take up to 40 shots at 5fps but will only record the last five upon
release
> of shutter button. With these options you never miss an anticipated shot.
>
> Ron

July 21, 2004 2:49:13 AM

or buy a digital SLR such as Canon 300D, Nikon D70 etc
"PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:29:31 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> >only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> >between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> >that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> >wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> >water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> >then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
> >
> >Is this common with all digital cameras?
>
> NO.
> Definitely not.
>
> The newer cameras that are coming out have increased capabilities
> with many now faster than film cameras.
>
> The water slide problem is easily fixed by planning ahead, though.
> Just press your shutter half way down while focusing on the end of the
> water slide and just squeeze off the shot when he comes into frame or
> slightly before. It should be easy to learn when to snap and the
> shots are free so practice practice practice.
>

> Pj

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 2:49:14 AM

There are camera bags with wheels to carry them around available now too.

"dave" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> or buy a digital SLR such as Canon 300D, Nikon D70 etc
> "PJx" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:29:31 GMT, Maria Brown <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> > >only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> > >between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> > >that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> > >wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> > >water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> > >then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
> > >
> > >Is this common with all digital cameras?
> >
> > NO.
> > Definitely not.
> >
> > The newer cameras that are coming out have increased capabilities
> > with many now faster than film cameras.
> >
> > The water slide problem is easily fixed by planning ahead, though.
> > Just press your shutter half way down while focusing on the end of the
> > water slide and just squeeze off the shot when he comes into frame or
> > slightly before. It should be easy to learn when to snap and the
> > shots are free so practice practice practice.
> >

> > Pj

July 21, 2004 3:08:13 AM

"Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> After the shutter delay of focusing and exposure correction.
>
> "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > I would like to get a new digital camera. I have an older one and the
> > > only thing I dont like about it is the fact that there is a lag time
> > > between the time you press the button to take the picture and time
> > > that the actual picture is taken. In other words say for example I
> > > wanted to take an action picture of my son coming to the end of a
> > > water slide, I press the button as he gets to the end of the slide,
> > > then when the picture is actually taken he is not in the frame.
> > >
> > > Is this common with all digital cameras?
> >
> > My Fuji S7000 will take first five or last five shots rapidly. In first
> > five, the camera will take and record five rapid shots all within one
> second
> > the instant the shutter release is depressed. In last five, the camera
> will
> > take up to 40 shots at 5fps but will only record the last five upon
> release
> > of shutter button. With these options you never miss an anticipated
shot.

> > Ron

Nope.
Anonymous
July 21, 2004 8:43:36 PM

Now who's gonna' believe a bottom poster though? LOL

> "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
> > After the shutter delay of focusing and exposure correction.
> >
> > "Ron" <rkrebs1@rcn.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Maria Brown" <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote in message

> > > My Fuji S7000 will take first five or last five shots rapidly. In
first
> > > five, the camera will take and record five rapid shots all within one
> > second
> > > the instant the shutter release is depressed. In last five, the camera
> > will
> > > take up to 40 shots at 5fps but will only record the last five upon
> > release
> > > of shutter button. With these options you never miss an anticipated
> shot.
> > >
> > > Ron
> > >

> Nope.

July 23, 2004 3:59:32 PM

"Mark Spacey" <vax2002news@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> The worst arer canon a 40 and a70 series
> they take photos next week !

I have the Canon A75, the replacement to the A70. It's shutter lag seems
pretty fast for a point'n'shoot, and the timings shown on the review here
confirm this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/page9.asp

I also have a 300D, with zero lag, typical of a DSLR.

Alan.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 2:53:57 AM

Trouble is...without specifing the contrast of the object being focuses on
and the luminence being used for the object the figures are meaningless. The
Kyocera I had had better figures than that and it could take 5-10 seconds to
focus in a forest on a bright day.

!