Raid controller killed my HDDs

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hello!

I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM

Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?

Are my HDDs lost?
Please can anybody help me?


Thanks
Miles
14 answers Last reply
More about raid controller killed hdds
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the power.

    "Michael Url" <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in message
    news:zEn2d.286785$vG5.241945@news.chello.at...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    > SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >
    > Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    > want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    > HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    > The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >
    > The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Michael Url wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    > SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >
    > Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    > want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    > HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    > The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >
    > The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >
    > Are my HDDs lost?
    > Please can anybody help me?
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Miles
    >
    I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
    has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
    cooled?


    --
    The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:19 GMT, Michael Url
    <miurl@gmx.net> wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    >SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >
    >Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    >want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    >HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >
    >The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >
    >Are my HDDs lost?
    >Please can anybody help me?

    First, does the SI Manager Application (or whatever it's
    called) (if you're running Windows), reveal anything?

    Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics?
    When you installed another drive, it not working either,
    does it mean you also tried these drives on another
    controller?

    Are you placing the DVD and HDD on opposing channels? If
    so, try the HDD on the other channel, with DVD removed,
    and/or try the DVD on other channel.

    Or, just toss the card, they're only worth about $15. FWIW,
    i have a couple SI 0680 cards and never had a problem,
    though they do seem slightly slower than competitors
    offerings.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    CJT wrote:

    > Michael Url wrote:
    >
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon
    >> Image SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a
    >> DVD-ROM
    >>
    >> Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because
    >> I want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed
    >> another HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >> The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >>
    >> The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>
    >> Are my HDDs lost?
    >> Please can anybody help me?
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Miles
    >>
    > I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
    > has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
    > cooled?

    Yes, the system is cooled properly (3 fans,...) And it was working about
    1 year without a problem!
    The 2nd IDE Controller (where the DVD is connected) is working fine?!?
    I don't want to try the 1st Connector, because I've already lost 2
    drives! Maybe it has an electrical fault? But how can i test it?
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    kony wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:33:19 GMT, Michael Url
    > <miurl@gmx.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hello!
    >>
    >>I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    >>SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >>
    >>Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    >>want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    >>HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >>The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >>
    >>The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>
    >>Are my HDDs lost?
    >>Please can anybody help me?
    >
    >
    > First, does the SI Manager Application (or whatever it's
    > called) (if you're running Windows), reveal anything?

    no it doesn't recogize any drive at boot, the controller is searching
    for the drive (about 20sec) then it doesn't find one and continue with
    booting!
    (neither the 'normal' onboard controller)
    >
    > Have you ran the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics?
    yes, i tried it! The DFT is also searching for the drive, but it doesn't
    find it!

    > When you installed another drive, it not working either,
    > does it mean you also tried these drives on another
    > controller?
    the other drive was an another controller, the I want to be sure what
    part of them is faulty, und plugged it on the SiS Controller --> killed
    it too :-(


    >
    > Are you placing the DVD and HDD on opposing channels? If
    > so, try the HDD on the other channel, with DVD removed,
    > and/or try the DVD on other channel.

    Yes they are on different channels! I don't want to loose also the
    DVD-drive?!


    > Or, just toss the card, they're only worth about $15. FWIW,
    > i have a couple SI 0680 cards and never had a problem,
    > though they do seem slightly slower than competitors
    > offerings.

    It was working for half a year without any problem, only since I've
    installed a drive of my friend, then disaster started
    And the problem is not the card, the problem are the HDDs, are they
    really dead?

    Any solution?

    Thanks
    Miles
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Eric Gisin wrote:

    > More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the power.

    no, I change the cable, tried another IDE channel, nothing, the other 2
    drives and the DVD are still working!

    >
    > "Michael Url" <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > news:zEn2d.286785$vG5.241945@news.chello.at...
    >
    >>Hello!
    >>
    >>I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    >>SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >>
    >>Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    >>want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    >>HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >>The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >>
    >>The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Michael Url wrote:
    > CJT wrote:
    >
    >> Michael Url wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello!
    >>>
    >>> I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon
    >>> Image SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a
    >>> DVD-ROM
    >>>
    >>> Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because
    >>> I want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed
    >>> another HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >>> The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >>>
    >>> The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>>
    >>> Are my HDDs lost?
    >>> Please can anybody help me?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Miles
    >>>
    >> I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
    >> has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
    >> cooled?
    >
    >
    > Yes, the system is cooled properly (3 fans,...) And it was working about
    > 1 year without a problem!
    > The 2nd IDE Controller (where the DVD is connected) is working fine?!?
    > I don't want to try the 1st Connector, because I've already lost 2
    > drives! Maybe it has an electrical fault? But how can i test it?
    >

    A multimeter could tell you if there is excess voltage on any pin.

    However, it might make more sense just to replace it.

    --
    The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
    minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Michael Url <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in
    news:oUu2d.286860$vG5.272412@news.chello.at:

    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    >
    >> More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the
    >> power.
    >
    > no, I change the cable, tried another IDE channel, nothing, the other
    > 2 drives and the DVD are still working!
    >

    Try a suspect drive on a known good interface.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    CJT wrote:
    > Michael Url wrote:
    >
    >> CJT wrote:
    >>
    >>> Michael Url wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Hello!
    >>>>
    >>>> I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon
    >>>> Image SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a
    >>>> DVD-ROM
    >>>>
    >>>> Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I
    >>>> because I want to be sure which part of my system is broken I
    >>>> installed another HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >>>> The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >>>>
    >>>> The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>>>
    >>>> Are my HDDs lost?
    >>>> Please can anybody help me?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks
    >>>> Miles
    >>>>
    >>> I don't understand how a controller card could kill HDDs, unless it
    >>> has some unusual electrical fault. Are you sure they're properly
    >>> cooled?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes, the system is cooled properly (3 fans,...) And it was working
    >> about 1 year without a problem!
    >> The 2nd IDE Controller (where the DVD is connected) is working fine?!?
    >> I don't want to try the 1st Connector, because I've already lost 2
    >> drives! Maybe it has an electrical fault? But how can i test it?
    >>
    >
    > A multimeter could tell you if there is excess voltage on any pin.
    >
    > However, it might make more sense just to replace it.

    The problem isn't the controller (I don't need it any more)
    The question is: "How can I save my HDDs?"
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    JS wrote:

    > Michael Url <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in
    > news:oUu2d.286860$vG5.272412@news.chello.at:
    >
    >
    >>Eric Gisin wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>More likely something else broke - one IDE channel, its cable, the
    >>>power.
    >>
    >>no, I change the cable, tried another IDE channel, nothing, the other
    >>2 drives and the DVD are still working!
    >>
    >
    >
    > Try a suspect drive on a known good interface.
    I've already done this, but the BIOS and also DFT, Linux,... don't
    recognise it!
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:20:02 GMT, Michael Url
    <miurl@gmx.net> wrote:


    >The problem isn't the controller (I don't need it any more)
    >The question is: "How can I save my HDDs?"

    Connect each HDD, alone as master, to motherboard IDE
    controller. Run the manufacturer's diagnostics. That's all
    you can do, unless you want to try putting them in the
    freezer, but no specific failure mode has been mentioned, so
    freezer is not necessarily going to do any good.

    I'd still wonder about other factors like the power supply,
    doesn't seem too likely that the controller did kill them
    all by itself, even thoug it "seems" that way.
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "Michael Url" <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in message
    news:zEn2d.286785$vG5.241945@news.chello.at...
    > Hello!
    >
    > I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    > SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >
    > Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    > want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    > HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    > The DVD-Rom works perfectly!

    Symptoms? Noisy? Have you tried the hdd's on a different desktop? Error
    msgs?
    >
    > The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >
    > Are my HDDs lost?
    > Please can anybody help me?
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Miles
    >
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "someone" <someone@spamfree.com> wrote in message
    news:8EE2d.30071$aW5.11570@fed1read07...
    >
    > "Michael Url" <miurl@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > news:zEn2d.286785$vG5.241945@news.chello.at...
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I've a big problem with my HDDs and a IDE Raid Controller (Silicon Image
    >> SiI 0680). On the RAID Controller I've installed a HDD and a DVD-ROM
    >>
    >> Yesterday the controller killed the first HDD (i guess) and I because I
    >> want to be sure which part of my system is broken I installed another
    >> HDD, and this one doesn't work any more neither?!?
    >> The DVD-Rom works perfectly!
    >
    > Symptoms? Noisy? Have you tried the hdd's on a different desktop? Error
    > msgs?
    >>
    >> The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >>
    >> Are my HDDs lost?
    >> Please can anybody help me?
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Miles
    >>
    >
    >

    Just a thought. Right at the beginning the poster said the HDD LED stayed
    on. Is the ribbon cable connected correctly (pin 1 to the red stripe at
    each end) because twisting it can have this effect, assuming that this set
    up uses a ribbon cable in the first place.

    Keith Willcocks
    (remove .nospam from address to reply)
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Michael Url wrote:
    > The BIOS doesn't recognise the HDDs and the HDD-LED is always on?!?
    >
    > Please can anybody help me?

    Well considering the light is always on, you might consider turning the
    IDE cable around.

    --
    Primary function: Coprocessor
    Secondary function: Cluster commander
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Controller Hard Drives Storage