Maxtor, WD or Hitachi

Within a couple months, we've had four 40-GB Maxtor drives fail.
My 200-GB drive (6Y200P0) has repeatedly turned up bad sectors
during the first few months.

Hasn't there been a quality problem at Maxtor lately ?

I'm thinking of going for Hitachi or WD. Good idea ?

--
André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

For the past few years I've used WD's exclusively, except for one IBM and
one Maxtor. The Maxtor (160gb) is still running after 18 months, as are all
the WD's, and the IBM is the only failure I've had in many years. I'm
convinced that given proper cooling most HD's will last longer that you may
want them to.

I have two internal, two external firewire, and five rotating mobile-rack
drives on this machine, and all are cooled with dedicated fans. I recycle
old drives (two are four-year-old IBM 20gb) into the mission of cloning,
performed once per week.

My 10k RPM WD Raptor C: drive is now running 31°C in a 27° room, and doesn't
even feel warm to the touch. In 22 years of computing, I've had three
drives fail, and only one involved any data loss (5mb MFM drive, circa
1985). The other two showed signs of failure and the data saved, and one of
those was a drive that was just lazy cranking up in the morning (like me
before caffeine). Nowadays I make timely clones and backups, and no longer
fear sudden drive death.

Andre Majorel wrote:
> Within a couple months, we've had four 40-GB Maxtor drives fail.
> My 200-GB drive (6Y200P0) has repeatedly turned up bad sectors
> during the first few months.
>
> Hasn't there been a quality problem at Maxtor lately ?
>
> I'm thinking of going for Hitachi or WD. Good idea ?

WD or Seagate are the only two brands I use. I too have seen a number of
dead Maxtor hard drives in the past 18 months, all 120GiB in size or larger.

Seagate now has a 5 year warranty and are very quiet during idle and even
read operations.

"S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
> WD or Seagate are the only two brands I use. I too have seen a number of
> dead Maxtor hard drives in the past 18 months, all 120GiB in size or
larger.

> Seagate now has a 5 year warranty and are very quiet during idle and even
> read operations.

Seconded. I bought a Seagate 160GB SATA and it's virtually silent during
idle -- can't hear it over 24dbA fans. It does make a little noise during
operations but nothing out of the ordinary. The 5 year warranty is insane --
one of the reasons why I went with Seagate. They also have a good suite of
drive utilities available on their site. The drive formatter especially is
much faster than Microsoft's, which is quite helpful when formatting 160
gigs and it gives you an easier way to control specifics like partitioning
and cluster sizes.

Still a slow drive compared to a Hitachi SATA :)

And mine is quieter and with a 3 year warranty.

Little TeaPot wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:24:11 GMT, "Kevin C." <nomail@fake.com> wrote:
>

>> "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote in message
>>> WD or Seagate are the only two brands I use. I too have seen a
>>> number of dead Maxtor hard drives in the past 18 months, all 120GiB
>>> in size or larger.
>>>
>>> Seagate now has a 5 year warranty and are very quiet during idle
>>> and even read operations.
>>>

>> Seconded. I bought a Seagate 160GB SATA and it's virtually silent
>> during idle -- can't hear it over 24dbA fans. It does make a little
>> noise during operations but nothing out of the ordinary. The 5 year
>> warranty is insane -- one of the reasons why I went with Seagate.
>> They also have a good suite of drive utilities available on their
>> site. The drive formatter especially is much faster than
>> Microsoft's, which is quite helpful when formatting 160 gigs and it
>> gives you an easier way to control specifics like partitioning and
>> cluster sizes.

> Still a slow drive compared to a Hitachi SATA :)
>
> And mine is quieter and with a 3 year warranty.

Slower in what way ? In benchmarks do you mean ? Given a double blind test,
I can not see how speed differences can be appreciated.

My Hitachi is still faster, in most areas.

My Hitachi, yes i liked it so much i bought the company :)

Little TeaPot wrote:

> My Hitachi is still faster, in most areas.
>
> My Hitachi, yes i liked it so much i bought the company :)

Hello,

Actually, Hitachi loved IBM hard drives so much, it bought Big Blue's
commodity HDD division! <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>