back-up software question

I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
removeable.
Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
seem able.
Any other recommendations?

tia

In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
>I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
>removeable.
>Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
>want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
>seem able.
>Any other recommendations?
>
>tia

In what way does it not work ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.

In article <ma1sk0pju3lstl0b5u9rb6m3v0611s8mor@4ax.com>,
neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
>Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
>
>adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
>>In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
>>neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
>>>I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
>>>removeable.
>>>Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
>>>want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
>>>seem able.
>>>Any other recommendations?
>>>
>>>tia
>>>

>>In what way does it not work ?

Are you using the latest version (8) ? It just came out.

What are you looking for; USB ? Ethernet ?

Send Acronis suppoirt an email. Give them more brand and model info
than you posted here.

I like TI, but I have to admit that that I've never been able to do a
usable backup on the USB burner I've got. I find disk-to-disk much
more practical so I've never reported it to Acronis.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

peter

You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network share.
Is that good enough?
"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
> Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
>
> adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
>
> >In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
> >neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
> >>I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
> >>removeable.
> >>Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
> >>want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
> >>seem able.
> >>Any other recommendations?
> >>
> >>tia
> >>

> >In what way does it not work ?

Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis

I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
I have a couple of machines on a home network.
On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
works fine on machine 1.
I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?

thanks in advance

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network share.
>Is that good enough?
>"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
>> Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
>>
>> adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

>> >In what way does it not work ?

peter

As long as you share your removable drive, you should be able to access it
from any network PC, including a desktop running TI. You still trying it in
a wrong way.
If PC#1 has a removable drive shared as Share#1, you boot PC#2 using Acronis
TI CD. Then, navigating through TI menus on PC#2 you dump image of its hard
drive to a Share#1 running off PC#1.
PC#1 does not need to run TI at all. It has only to be connected to the same
network as PC#2.

> Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis
>
> I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
> I have a couple of machines on a home network.
> On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
> works fine on machine 1.
> I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
> on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
> drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?
>
> thanks in advance
>

> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> >You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network
share.
> >Is that good enough?
> >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
> >> Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.

Bu Peter - primary is backing up machine PC#1!!!! Therefore run off
of #1 ?!?!??? And that works.
And, as a requirement (any recommendations from propents of other s/w
packages), be able to backup other machines on the network. Oh, I
didnt tell you but there is really four machines!!

Where now?
Lets see if Acronis has any suggestions.

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>As long as you share your removable drive, you should be able to access it
>from any network PC, including a desktop running TI. You still trying it in
>a wrong way.
>If PC#1 has a removable drive shared as Share#1, you boot PC#2 using Acronis
>TI CD. Then, navigating through TI menus on PC#2 you dump image of its hard
>drive to a Share#1 running off PC#1.
>PC#1 does not need to run TI at all. It has only to be connected to the same
>network as PC#2.
>
>"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
>> Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis
>>
>> I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
>> I have a couple of machines on a home network.
>> On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
>> works fine on machine 1.
>> I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
>> on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
>> drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>

>> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network
>share.
>> >Is that good enough?
>> >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message

>doesn't

neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:

>Bu Peter - primary is backing up machine PC#1!!!! Therefore run off
>of #1 ?!?!??? And that works.
>And, as a requirement (any recommendations from propents of other s/w
>packages), be able to backup other machines on the network. Oh, I
>didnt tell you but there is really four machines!!
>
>Where now?
>Lets see if Acronis has any suggestions.

Acronis will not image a remote drive. It has to be running on the
machine whose drive you are backing up. The target image container
can be on a remote drive, but the source drive has to be local.

You're going to have to install copies of Acronis on all four
machines.
Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
Vancouver, BC

peter

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your explanation.
You can post your question in Acronis newsgroup at:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65