back-up software question

I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
removeable.
Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
seem able.
Any other recommendations?

tia
9 answers Last reply
More about back software question

    In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
    neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
    >I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
    >removeable.
    >Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
    >want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
    >seem able.
    >Any other recommendations?
    >
    >tia

    In what way does it not work ?

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.

    In article <ma1sk0pju3lstl0b5u9rb6m3v0611s8mor@4ax.com>,
    neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
    >Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
    >
    >adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
    >>neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
    >>>I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
    >>>removeable.
    >>>Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
    >>>want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
    >>>seem able.
    >>>Any other recommendations?
    >>>
    >>>tia
    >>>

    >>In what way does it not work ?

    Are you using the latest version (8) ? It just came out.

    What are you looking for; USB ? Ethernet ?

    Send Acronis suppoirt an email. Give them more brand and model info
    than you posted here.

    I like TI, but I have to admit that that I've never been able to do a
    usable backup on the USB burner I've got. I find disk-to-disk much
    more practical so I've never reported it to Acronis.

    --
    Al Dykes
    -----------

    You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network share.
    Is that good enough?
    "neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
    > Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
    >
    > adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <t8opk0l9so21i3j6nd9pfi4j6tuuiagdrk@4ax.com>,
    > >neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:
    > >>I want to make drive images of my os drives & copy them to a
    > >>removeable.
    > >>Tried the trial Acronis. It seems simple and does the job. But I also
    > >>want to image some disks that are on our home network. Acronis doesn't
    > >>seem able.
    > >>Any other recommendations?
    > >>
    > >>tia
    > >>

    > >In what way does it not work ?

    Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis

    I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
    I have a couple of machines on a home network.
    On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
    works fine on machine 1.
    I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
    on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
    drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?

    thanks in advance

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network share.
    >Is that good enough?
    >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
    >> Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.
    >>
    >> adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >> >In what way does it not work ?

    As long as you share your removable drive, you should be able to access it
    from any network PC, including a desktop running TI. You still trying it in
    a wrong way.
    If PC#1 has a removable drive shared as Share#1, you boot PC#2 using Acronis
    TI CD. Then, navigating through TI menus on PC#2 you dump image of its hard
    drive to a Share#1 running off PC#1.
    PC#1 does not need to run TI at all. It has only to be connected to the same
    network as PC#2.

    > Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis
    >
    > I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
    > I have a couple of machines on a home network.
    > On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
    > works fine on machine 1.
    > I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
    > on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
    > drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >

    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network
    share.
    > >Is that good enough?
    > >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
    > >> Their "create image" wizard doesn't show anything but local drives.

    Bu Peter - primary is backing up machine PC#1!!!! Therefore run off
    of #1 ?!?!??? And that works.
    And, as a requirement (any recommendations from propents of other s/w
    packages), be able to backup other machines on the network. Oh, I
    didnt tell you but there is really four machines!!

    Where now?
    Lets see if Acronis has any suggestions.

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    >As long as you share your removable drive, you should be able to access it
    >from any network PC, including a desktop running TI. You still trying it in
    >a wrong way.
    >If PC#1 has a removable drive shared as Share#1, you boot PC#2 using Acronis
    >TI CD. Then, navigating through TI menus on PC#2 you dump image of its hard
    >drive to a Share#1 running off PC#1.
    >PC#1 does not need to run TI at all. It has only to be connected to the same
    >network as PC#2.
    >
    >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
    >> Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis
    >>
    >> I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
    >> I have a couple of machines on a home network.
    >> On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
    >> works fine on machine 1.
    >> I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
    >> on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
    >> drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?
    >>
    >> thanks in advance
    >>

    >> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >>
    >> >You need to execute TI locally but store image file on remote network
    >share.
    >> >Is that good enough?
    >> >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message

    >doesn't

    neon <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote:

    >Bu Peter - primary is backing up machine PC#1!!!! Therefore run off
    >of #1 ?!?!??? And that works.
    >And, as a requirement (any recommendations from propents of other s/w
    >packages), be able to backup other machines on the network. Oh, I
    >didnt tell you but there is really four machines!!
    >
    >Where now?
    >Lets see if Acronis has any suggestions.

    Acronis will not image a remote drive. It has to be running on the
    machine whose drive you are backing up. The target image container
    can be on a remote drive, but the source drive has to be local.

    You're going to have to install copies of Acronis on all four
    machines.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand your explanation.
    You can post your question in Acronis newsgroup at:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

    > Bu Peter - primary is backing up machine PC#1!!!! Therefore run off
    > of #1 ?!?!??? And that works.
    > And, as a requirement (any recommendations from propents of other s/w
    > packages), be able to backup other machines on the network. Oh, I
    > didnt tell you but there is really four machines!!
    >
    > Where now?
    > Lets see if Acronis has any suggestions.
    >
    > "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote:
    >
    > >As long as you share your removable drive, you should be able to access
    it
    > >from any network PC, including a desktop running TI. You still trying it
    in
    > >a wrong way.
    > >If PC#1 has a removable drive shared as Share#1, you boot PC#2 using
    Acronis
    > >TI CD. Then, navigating through TI menus on PC#2 you dump image of its
    hard
    > >drive to a Share#1 running off PC#1.
    > >PC#1 does not need to run TI at all. It has only to be connected to the
    same
    > >network as PC#2.
    > >
    > >"neon" <**navajo@neonfeather.com**> wrote in message
    > >> Maybe i'm not explaining myself properly - sent this to Acronis
    > >>
    > >> I'm trialing your "True Image' software.
    > >> I have a couple of machines on a home network.
    > >> On machine #1 I have a removable drive where I'm storing images. TI
    > >> works fine on machine 1.
    > >> I also want to image the drive on machine #2 ,on the removable drive
    > >> on #1, but TI (running on #1), can't see (but I can from Explorer) the
    > >> drive on #2. Is this a capability or not?
    > >>
    > >> thanks in advance

    > >share.

    > >doesn't

Hardware Storage Software