Futuremark Working on 3DMark for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEY123

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Wrong. "Gamers" and "tablets" do not go together.[/citation]

so what is someone who plays a game on a tablet...maybe they aren't a hard core gamer but it seems to me they are a gamer.

Also I think the real point her is that Win 8 tablets will basically run the same OS as a Win 8 desktop

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

1) No, they're NOT gamers. They're tablet owners who play games, mostly to kill time. Feel the difference. A gamer immerses in games and takes them seriously; you can't take Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja seriously, they aren't made for that.

2) No it won't, tablets run ARM and x86 on tablets so far is a total fail battery life wise.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]1) You take things FAR too seriously...jeezus. 2) Um yes it will. Windows 8 will use the tile GUI on tablets and the desktop gui on desktops...same OS. 3) Come down off your soap box.[/citation]

Actually wrong for number 2, games on Windows 8 will be dependent on which instruction set it's made for, x86 will not work on ARM and vice versa.

Two versions of the same game will likely be developed, like how they port games from 360 to PC and whatever.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I'm actually getting a bit excited now. 2012 seems to be a big year for tech...

[citation][nom]Diabolix[/nom]http://www.tomshardware.com/news/f [...] 13976.htmlPage URL from the future![/citation]
You've linked to the same page....?...?....

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]^You mean the past? :\ I better stop commenting.[/citation]
Neither. What's up with you all? lol time zones are different dammit! :D

It's 2PM on the 14th for Kevin Parrish but it's 2AM on the 15th for me. So no one's in the past or future. Grow up people :p

Diabolix

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]I'm actually getting a bit excited now. 2012 seems to be a big year for tech...You've linked to the same page....?...?....[/citation]

Look at the URL Name : futuremark-3DMark-Windows-9-benchmark :)

G

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Wrong. "Gamers" and "tablets" do not go together.[/citation]

Maybe for FPS, but I've found that its amazing for games like Starcraft!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Diabolix[/nom]Look at the URL Name : futuremark-3DMark-Windows-9-benchmark[/citation]
Ahhh. That way. The url gets hidden so that 9 part got hidden...then it wasn't obvious. lol.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]1) No, they're NOT gamers. They're tablet owners who play games, mostly to kill time. Feel the difference. A gamer immerses in games and takes them seriously; you can't take Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja seriously, they aren't made for that.2) No it won't, tablets run ARM and x86 on tablets so far is a total fail battery life wise.[/citation]
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Actually wrong for number 2, games on Windows 8 will be dependent on which instruction set it's made for, x86 will not work on ARM and vice versa.Two versions of the same game will likely be developed, like how they port games from 360 to PC and whatever.[/citation]
I think you missed something a while back. W8 supports ARM and x86. It's also meant to work on all of Microsoft's targeted platforms (not to mention touch screens, ie tablets, are the primary focus of W8). Granted older x86 software will not work on a W8 machine using an ARM cpu, this article clearly states 3DMark for W8 supports ARM. Therefor, It's a nice benchmarking tool for a plethora of devices all running the same OS - Windows 8.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]Granted older x86 software will not work on a W8 machine using an ARM cpu[/citation]

Thanks for clearing up the compatability regarding running x86 software seamlessly on an ARM tablet, pitty.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

gamers go where games are good, and we don't care about graphics so long as game play doesn't suffer. that said, there are still no must have games for a tablet, but fun deversions if you have one.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]1) No, they're NOT gamers. They're tablet owners who play games, mostly to kill time. Feel the difference. A gamer immerses in games and takes them seriously; you can't take Angry Birds or Fruit Ninja seriously, they aren't made for that.2) No it won't, tablets run ARM and x86 on tablets so far is a total fail battery life wise.[/citation]

i take it you dont like puzzle games? thats where tablets shine, and every thing else... well... puzzle games on the pc died a long time ago, and i dont believe they were ever staples of the consoles.

[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]Maybe for FPS, but I've found that its amazing for games like Starcraft![/citation]

i have to dissagree, they are good when the rts takes in mind that its a finger, and not a precice tool, we would need a penable tablet for rts to really matter on the platform.

psp09

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Agree.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Ummm... ROFL! No, I don't like puzzle games. Games must provide not just a diversion, but a complete immersion experience, else they're not worth the time. I used to play games on my cell phone and PDA and all, but they were SUCH a waste of time... Can't say the same about full-scale PC games (heck, even consoles can do the same!). If you feel like you've got time to kill, use it wisely and read a good book!

And we DO care about both graphics AND gameplay. Tablet games suck in both aspects.

G

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]. i have to dissagree, they are good when the rts takes in mind that its a finger, and not a precice tool, we would need a penable tablet for rts to really matter on the platform.[/citation]

Yes but speed is much better. Precision is actually okay if you have a decent tablet. Playing is so much easier in a way since you can click the map and icons. I've found controlling individual units funner and easier since i keep on finger on the units on the other on the command panel.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bear95[/nom]Yes but speed is much better. Precision is actually okay if you have a decent tablet. Playing is so much easier in a way since you can click the map and icons. I've found controlling individual units funner and easier since i keep on finger on the units on the other on the command panel.[/citation]

precision also has to do with finger size, i have hands so big that the original xbox controller was the perfect fit, and thing smaller just seams lacking now.

Status
Not open for further replies.