IBM PS/1 floppy drive

Hello!

I've got this old computer few days ago. It has no floppy drive. I'm
wondering if I can make new FDD to work with this computer. Do anyone
know where can I find description of this specific ribbon cable: which
pins are for power, which for data? Clearly - pin diagram for IBM PS/1
type:2121 FDD.

Thanks in advance
--
Mysticus
mysticus neostrada pl

"Mysticus" <invalid@invalid.pl> a écrit dans le message de

> Hello!
>
> I've got this old computer few days ago. It has no floppy drive. I'm
> wondering if I can make new FDD to work with this computer. Do anyone
> know where can I find description of this specific ribbon cable: which
> pins are for power, which for data? Clearly - pin diagram for IBM PS/1
> type:2121 FDD.

If there is a floppy controler, it's possible. Just plug a standard
ribbon cable, and one spare power cable. There are two distinct
connectors you can't mix up. You also have to enable it in the setup.

If not, I don't thing you'll find a MCA or ISA controler card. Perhaps
only a 5"5 drive is allowed.

--
~~~~ clmasse on free dot F-country
Liberty, Equality, Profitability.

Cl.Massé | news:4155b4a0$0$23931$626a14ce@news.free.fr

> "Mysticus" <invalid@invalid.pl> a écrit dans le message de

> If there is a floppy controler, it's possible.

Yes, there is. It's integrated with mainboard.

> Just plug a standard
> ribbon cable, and one spare power cable.

And here's my problem. There is no separated connector for power cable.
Data and power goes thru the *same* ribbon cable. I need to figure out
which pins provide power and supply electric current from them to FDD.

--

> And here's my problem. There is no separated connector for power
> cable. Data and power goes thru the *same* ribbon cable. I need to
> figure out which pins provide power and supply electric current from
> them to FDD.

If it is a special FDD for PS/1, there must be a special ribbon cable.
If power comes from the floppy controller and you have a modern FDD with
a power connector, anyway they aren't compatible.